We Found a Deer Tick on Trudy!

diane303

We Found a Deer Tick on Trudy!

Post by diane303 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:32 am

Last night, my husband was grooming the Trudster and found a tick. It was smaller and different than the typical dog ticks that we find around here and as I suspected, it was an engorged deer tick. Talked to the vet today and he suggested prophylactively treating her with an antibiotic and maybe even vaccinating her.

I usually use Frontline Plus and have never had a problem with ticks while out in the field before. We had fleas this year so my vet recommended Comfortis. It took care of the fleas but it is not approved for ticks. I asked my vet and he told me that the sales rep said that it will be approved for ticks in the coming year and not to worry (I specifically told him that we would be in the field and I wanted to protect her from ticks). Now Trudy has to go through a pretty long course of doxy probably and I'm a bit miffed. So if you've been told that probably your dog is safe from ticks on Comfortis - don't bet on it. :?

I'd like to get some idea about how to control fleas AND ticks when Frontline Plus fails. Any ideas? :?:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: We Found a Deer Tick on Trudy!

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm

No product is 100 percent effective. I use Advantix for fleas and ticks . ( I didn't understand from your post, why you didn't stick to Frontline Plus. I thought it was effective on fleas and ticks ? )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Don't think I would get to shook about one. I would watch the spot and also the dog but chances are it isn't a problem. Just don't think I would start antibiotics that quick because of one bite.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:50 am

Sharon wrote:No product is 100 percent effective. I use Advantix for fleas and ticks . ( I didn't understand from your post, why you didn't stick to Frontline Plus. I thought it was effective on fleas and ticks ? )
Down here in FL K9 Advantix is the most widely accepted product against fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. Several of the boarding facilities here currently WILL NOT accept Frontline any more, but have no problem with Advantix.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

diane303

Post by diane303 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm

I've heard more and more instances where FL+ just hasn't been doing the job against fleas. I think that so many people use it that the fleas that survive don't die from it anymore. Comfortis worked great on the fleas that we were seeing but not for ticks. My vet seems to think that Advantix is not effective and doesn't even sell it. The only reason that I'm a little nervous about it is that the last time I used a pyrethrin based product, (biospot) Trudy had a bad reaction and I had to dump her in the bath tub and scrub it off. My vet wants to vaccinate Trudy against lyme disease but I've read horror stories about the vaccination causing more long term problems than the disease!

She was on metrodanizol for an diarrhea that she had a couple of weeks ago - probably from lapping up field water during her last hunt test, so I don't know what to think.

That sucker had been on her for quite awhile and I just hate to ignore it until she starts showing symptoms.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:09 pm

I wouldn't worry about one tick. Chances are if the tick was on there as long as you say you would already be seeing the bullseye mark from the bite. Florida also doesn't have a high incidence of Lyme disease unlike the northeastern states. Why would you want to put your dog through unneccessary drug treatment?? Since you know that your dog was bitten keep a close eye for the mark and any symptoms then treat if there are any symptoms.

For ticks you can use a Preventic collar.

I have not had any luck with Advantix. I still rotate between Frontline and Advantage.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:32 pm

[quote="CherrystoneWeims"] Florida also doesn't have a high incidence of Lyme disease unlike the northeastern states.

have you lived in Florida- I lived in Bradenton for 18 months-

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 pm

have you lived in Florida- I lived in Bradenton for 18 months-
I have a close friend who is in the Tampa area. She is a fellow Weim breeder and very involved in field work. I also keep track of Lyme disease rates in various areas because I travel with my dogs quite a bit. Hubby is a pathologist so I am able to check CDC cases........
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 am

I'd like to get some idea about how to control fleas AND ticks when Frontline Plus fails. Any ideas? :?:[/quote

If you don't wish to turn your dog into a chemical bomb just to kill a few ticks that you will probably find and pick off anyway try this: Take a bandana and tie the ends together to make a collar. Load it up with 15-20 drops of geranium oil and have him wear it when you expect exposure to ticks. Refresh as needed. You can take it off when you return home. 100% effective? No. But it sure makes a big difference.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Calisdad wrote:I'd like to get some idea about how to control fleas AND ticks when Frontline Plus fails. Any ideas? :?:[/quote

If you don't wish to turn your dog into a chemical bomb just to kill a few ticks that you will probably find and pick off anyway try this: Take a bandana and tie the ends together to make a collar. Load it up with 15-20 drops of geranium oil and have him wear it when you expect exposure to ticks. Refresh as needed. You can take it off when you return home. 100% effective? No. But it sure makes a big difference.
Excuse me, but germanium oil is a chemical as well. Some people seem to be under the impression that something labeled "natural" is not a chemical. That's not the way the dog's body sees it.

BTW, this season has been the worst for ticks here in FL since we got the dog 2 years ago. ANY conservation or untended area seems to be full of them. Before I'd be lucky to find one on my clothes every other week when running the dog. Now it seems to be EVERY time.

Meanwhile, I heard that there is a generic version of K9 Advantix that is less expensive than the name brand. Anyone know if this is true? If so, what is it & where do you buy it?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:28 pm

I suppose in the strictest sense geranium oil could be considered a chemical. There's a big difference between using something for an hour or two and applying something that will find its way to the dogs fat cells. The poster asked for an alternative. I offered one- no more- no less.

I hunted Trap for 3 hours yesterday and came home with 5 ticks. Today I used the bandana for fun 2 hour walk and came home with none. Clinical trial? Not hardly. I used to use flea and tick dips and sprays regularly as directed. Then I had the misfortune of having one of my dogs come down with liver cancer. I see a connection. Will there be clinical studies to confirm or deny a connection. No. There's no money in it, hence no impetus. The warning label for Advantix says to avoid contact with skin. Why would you put something on your dogs skin that you were warned not to let touch yours?

regards-
C-dad

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Why would you put something on your dog that you wouldn't put on yourself?' quote Calisdad

Hmm I take several meds. that I wouldn't give to me dog. So....

I've learned to avoid arguments about "natural" treatments and "other treatments". With 2 medical doctors in the family you can guess in what direction I lean. :)

I would think that any bandana tied around a dog's neck containing a scent would interfere with the dog's ability to scent birds. I remember a lady posting on here that she used a "spray bottle of mild insecticide". She couldn't figure out why her dog was busting birds until a friend pointed out the probable cause. He was right.

I checked my directions for Advantix and the only caution is "Do not use on cats." Of course I always wash my hands after using an insecticide, the same as i do after spraying my roses with a Miticide.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Sharon, you misquoted me somewhat. I had no intention of getting into an argument. The poster asked for an alternative and I offered one. Yes, I can't imagine putting that pungent stuff on your dogs collar and not expecting it to interfere with his scenting abilities. I run/walk my dogs in the forest every day but I don't hunt them every day. The standards for human exposure are different than the standards for animal exposure. Why? I'd answer that but worm cans are too easily opened here. :D

regards-
C-dad

diane303

Post by diane303 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Actually, I was the one who's dog was off birds. I suspected it was because I sprayed an insect repelling essential oil mixture on her that morning and I ruined her ability to smell the birds. It was a real mystery for quite a while. We did finally realize that taking her e-collar, or anything that remotely resembled it, completely off of her neck and just putting a regular split ring nylon collar made a huge difference.

I was still not willing to compromise her scenting ability so I didn't spray any of the bug repellent on her - just on me. I must say that I've been tick-free. But I also use Buzz-off and Insect Shield clothes out there.

I have a real tick phobia (can you tell?). It kept me out of the field for a long time.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Ive been using the Adams brand tick/flea treatment. Its available at Target and is much
cheaper that FL.....no ticks of fleas either.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 am

find something that works to your satisfaction and then stick with it till it doesnt work anymore. right now i am using comfortis for fleas cuz the ticks here are done for the fall/winter. come next spring i will have to either start in with frontline for ticks or find something else. i may go with a preventic collar, as i have heard good things about them. some folks also like vectra, but i have heard good and bad reports. one thing i do know for sure is that no product in the world is going to kill or have any effect on the flea/tick that isnt ON the dog. they have to come in contact with the dog in some way shape or form to be affected.
Last edited by dog dr on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.