New Native Dog food formula and Distributor

Crystal kennels

New Native Dog food formula and Distributor

Post by Crystal kennels » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:50 am

For those interested Native has a new formula and a new distrubution center in the North East.......

www.phillipsfeed.com in Easton , PA.

1-800-451-2817

The formula has been changed for the better and the old stool issue is gone. I really like this food.

Judy Zeigler
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

Will

Re: New Native Dog food formula and Distributor

Post by Will » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Can you provide more details? Which Level has changed and when did it happen?
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 pm

They changed the formula for all the levels. Added more rice and dropped back on the barley. A veterinary nutritionist I work with helped formulate the 'new' formula. I use the Level 3 on everyone and am very happy with it...............

Judy

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Looks like you have to sign in to get any info??? I wish they had something in the southeast.
brenda

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Brenda try www.nativedogfood.com I'm sure they can steer you to a distributor..................

Will

Post by Will » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 pm

As I was told by a marketing rep for Native, the formulas actually changed very early in the year and one of the biggest changes was a significant reduction of the beet pulp.

Either way both of my dogs are on Level 3 and their stools are good now. Before that change I had problems with them.

I am kind of curious if there has been yet another change.

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:08 am

Tried it this spring level 3, dogs lost weight and they had lots of stool , thenthe price went up 4.00 bucks a bag, went to Enhance.

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:15 am

Will I believe it changed early in the year out in the midwest but here in the East they were having problems with their distibutor (Blue Seal). Blue Seal is no longer affiliated with Kent.

Judy

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:38 pm

what's the ingredients list and how much is it per lb

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Level 3 has a very good list of ingredients. 40 pounds should sell at 28-30 at todays prices. It would be silly to pay more in the midwest. Hopefully, it costs even less, but I don't know.
big steve

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 pm

snips wrote:Looks like you have to sign in to get any info??? I wish they had something in the southeast.
Try checking out the native website directly. We fed it for a good while and Jim had a distributor that would deliver a pallet. However he was hard to pin down and both times we reordered we ran out before he could get more to us (Over a month notice both times.) Level 4 will actually hold the weight on 2 dogs are hard to keep weight on. It's too much for most of the dogs though. They don't get problems just get chunky.

If you want to look into it I can get the guys info and you can see if he'll call you back any quicker. You'd order more, maybe a better client.

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:11 am

Price is about $33. for 40#
Available in 8lb, 20lb and 40lb bags. NATIVE: LEVEL 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conditions: Elevated exercise and stress with vigorous activity 3-4 days per week.
Level 3 is recommended for performance canines of all breeds with elevated activity levels and periods of vigorous activity that tend to lose weight when working regularly. Level 3 also provides the extra energy required for puppies and pregnant or lactating mothers with higher energy needs.

CALORIE CONTENT (calculated) GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
4409 kcal ME / kg (2000 kcal ME / lb) Protein (min) 30.0%
Fat (min) 20.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.5%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) 3.50%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.45%*
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

FEEDING GUIDELINES

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS

INGREDIENTS
Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Rice, Ground Oats, Ground Barley, Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Yeast Culture, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C).

NATIVE PREMIUM DOG FOOD is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:30 am

I was told by our local Tractor supply that they are no longer carrying or supplying the Native brand food. Didn't really go into details other than to say that Kent refused to sell to them because they are selling the Purina line in store.

Anyone else hearing similar things?

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 am

Crystal kennels wrote:Price is about $33. for 40#
Available in 8lb, 20lb and 40lb bags. NATIVE: LEVEL 3
That's a good price. About $5 less a bag than I am paying.

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Just spoke with Mandi from Native. Was told the only thing that has changed is they've upgraded the Barley ingredients in the food. I'm happy the food works for you all I can say about the food is we tried it for a couple of months, and I'm not talking a dog or two. NONE of our dogs faired well at all on this food it was level 3. We have Pointers and Setters. They all had loose stools and did not have that competitive edge they must have. Just one man's observations:)

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 pm

I don't understand the tractor supply not being able to do both. I get purina at Theisen's and they have both. Maybe tractor supply just doesn't have shelf space for both. Dog food prices are getting out of controll. Purina is higher in price but I dont have to feed as much per dog, which makes it a little cheaper food to feed .

Will

Post by Will » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Have never had the Tractor Supply as an option here. They've never carried it. Have to either order through the Do-It Best website for delivery to a local lumber yard or buy from a hardware store about 45 minutes away. Last time I was in Iowa I got it on sale at Thiesens and stocked up.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 pm

r.r.rouse wrote:I don't understand the tractor supply not being able to do both. I get purina at Theisen's and they have both. Maybe tractor supply just doesn't have shelf space for both. Dog food prices are getting out of controll. Purina is higher in price but I dont have to feed as much per dog, which makes it a little cheaper food to feed .
Yeah I thought that was odd too but that is what they told me. Shelf space could be an issue as they don't stock anywhere near the quantity of dog food as a specialty pet store would. Apparently they had carried it or were willing to bring it in in the past. Then again the guy I talked to on the phone could have been talking out of his....... :roll:

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Big Steve, you crack me up. Nobody should pay over 2 cents per bag......... :lol:

Anyhow, the Native level 2 has been sufficient for dogs who get vigorous exercise up my way. Call me crazy, but I only feed the level 3 in anticipation, during and after high levels of activity. Level 4 is out of the question - ever.

I don't know squat, though.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Chaingang wrote:
r.r.rouse wrote:I don't understand the tractor supply not being able to do both. I get purina at Theisen's and they have both. Maybe tractor supply just doesn't have shelf space for both. Dog food prices are getting out of controll. Purina is higher in price but I dont have to feed as much per dog, which makes it a little cheaper food to feed .
Yeah I thought that was odd too but that is what they told me. Shelf space could be an issue as they don't stock anywhere near the quantity of dog food as a specialty pet store would. Apparently they had carried it or were willing to bring it in in the past. Then again the guy I talked to on the phone could have been talking out of his....... :roll:
Tractor Supply just went to Purina so I would guess Kent dropped out. I know they dropped Kent who had been supplying the other livestock feeds that they had been carrying.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:21 am

Visited my local Tractor supply this afternoon and no Native in sight. Saw Purina, but also saw Diamond. They had the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice (26/16 ratio) priced at $27 and change. Seemed like a decent food for the price.

So apparently it would seem like a Kent thing as there was more than one brand in this store.

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:27 am

I wish I could get it closer than the 40 miles it is now. Have looked at giving this stuff a try, but hoping for more distributors. It would be great if TSC carried it as my girls and I love to go there. I think level II would be our level to start with.
Last edited by bruns333 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:40 am

Actually Matt I have a couple other sources for Native that are within 20 miles of me so getting Native is not too much of an issue. The only reason I brought up TSC is that one of the closest places I normally get it was out of level 3 and I just happened to check TSC as I remember they used to bring it in. I did eventually find it at another place so it's not a huge issue. It seems to work well for Willi.

I am curious though about the Diamond Naturals. If going by the ingredients it looks very similar to Native but $10 cheaper. Willi can be a hard keeper weight wise and I am currently feeding 4 cups daily of Level 3 just to maintain his weight. When he was with the trainer last spring for 8 weeks he was looking a little ribby going in, so I put him on Level 4 and that filled him in nicely. Of course he was doing field work everyday back then and burning plenty of calories.

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 am

Stella the higgins daughter gets 3.75 cups a day(she weighs 50#'s) and spends her nights in the house and she stays on the skinny side on that amount. She is a hard going dog even in the yard and is either awake and active or alseep, no in between for her.
Last edited by bruns333 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 am

During the Great Exceed Interregnum of 2009, I fed Native. Level 2 at home but fed Level 4 during the trip to ND. The Level 4 worked great there.

The pooches are back on Exceed now and doing well. The V took some time to adjust back but is nown doing well.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:45 am

I agree Greg, nothing like that Level 4 for those extended hunting trips. I've even mixed in some Sardines on top of that for added fat.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:53 am

Chaingang wrote:I agree Greg, nothing like that Level 4 for those extended hunting trips. I've even mixed in some Sardines on top of that for added fat.

how much do your dogs drool when they get of whiff of sardines?

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:46 am

mcbosco wrote:
Chaingang wrote:I agree Greg, nothing like that Level 4 for those extended hunting trips. I've even mixed in some Sardines on top of that for added fat.

how much do your dogs drool when they get of whiff of sardines?
Ha Ha! I dunno about drooling, but no matter how tired they are when I set the bowls down, they make quick work of it. quickly.