What's the Difference?

bobbaganoosh

What's the Difference?

Post by bobbaganoosh » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33 am

Im a newbie to owning a gundog and wanted to give it some good quality food. Gave it Nutro when I first got it at 10wks and fed a 50lb bag of it until it ran out. At that point I switched to Beneful bc it seemed to have the same fat/protein ratio as Nutro and was a little cheaper, plus the bag seemed to me that it was made of healthy ingredients. My pup has done well on both. The breeder actually used Diamond brand and he was healthy and fine on that brand also.

So my question, and excuse it bc Im new to this, is whats the difference between the high quality foods? What should I be watching out for? All brands seem to provide my pup with good nutrition...all Im really using to distinguish now is price.
Thanks for the help.

-Bob-

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: What's the Difference?

Post by mcbosco » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 am

the answer depends on what fits your budget and how much work you want to put into it, it also depends on how much reliance you put on the commercial industry...if you read through the threads on food on this forum you will find a general view with some but not enough dissent, perhaps because its a bird dog forum. there is much more support for other diets in other sectors of the dog owning world, like sight-hounds, herding, protection-oriented dogs, etc.

there are plenty of resources here even if the tone gets a little out of hand, but its all for the good of the dogs no matter what the tone or opinion is.

sal

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 am

I would encourage you to use the advanced search feature. Use keywords like food or kibble or Exceed or Purina and you will find lots of threads with many opinions. Also go to the "Board index" and select the health & nutrition category, scroll down and select a couple of the food threads to look through. Lately we've had some pretty heated discussions between what I might (incorrectly) label natural foods oriented folks and commercial foods oriented folks. Many of us are tired of the debates and don't want to se another one real soon. After reading through a few old threads if still have questions try narrowing down your question. Otherwise this may just end up as another flaming food debate through no fault of yours.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:18 am

There really is little difference in the quality feeds. The ingredients are pretty much the same as most buy from the same places. There will be some differences in the additives and the formulas will be a little different as some use more animal sources and some use more vegetable sources. Dog food is much like automobiles. The biggest difference is what the owner likes. If one was really better than the others it would be the only one used. The important thing is to find one the dog likes and is doing well on, is easily advailable, and it is one you can afford to feed. All of the dog foods on the market will provide the necessary nutrition to a dog so it is pretty much up to you to choose. You can look at the list of ingredients printed on the bag and it will give you the ingredients used and a very general idea of how much in comparison to the other ingredients but it is much more important to look at the guaranteed analysis as that is what you really need to know. Feeding directions will give you a rough idea of how much to feed but that again is something the dog has to tell you.

You will find people who feed practically every feed on the market and love it. And you will find people who will tell you that any particular feed is really bad. So just watch your dog and if it is doing well stick with what you are feeding and don't let everyone convince you that some other feed is better. Your dog will appreciate it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:25 am

There are LOTS of posts here on that subject. Look through the Health and Nutrition threads. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:30 am

P.S. I feed Nutro and the dogs do well on it. I recently sent a one year old dog to a pro for 12 weeks and he feeds the dogs in his care Purina Pro Plan Performance. The dog came back more fit & looking as great as when she left. It is easily debated whether other feeds or ingredients fed are better or worse. My own personal yardstick is how the dog looks to me & whether it performs up to my expectations.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:52 pm

BigShooter wrote:P.S. I feed Nutro and the dogs do well on it. I recently sent a one year old dog to a pro for 12 weeks and he feeds the dogs in his care Purina Pro Plan Performance. The dog came back more fit & looking as great as when she left. It is easily debated whether other feeds or ingredients fed are better or worse. My own personal yardstick is how the dog looks to me & whether it performs up to my expectations.
Here is the best advice you can get. You are feeding a dog and not dogfood.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
BigShooter wrote:P.S. I feed Nutro and the dogs do well on it. I recently sent a one year old dog to a pro for 12 weeks and he feeds the dogs in his care Purina Pro Plan Performance. The dog came back more fit & looking as great as when she left. It is easily debated whether other feeds or ingredients fed are better or worse. My own personal yardstick is how the dog looks to me & whether it performs up to my expectations.
Here is the best advice you can get. You are feeding a dog and not dogfood.

Ezzy
Ditto!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:50 am

"Here is the best advice you can get. You are feeding a dog and not dogfood"

Ezzy, so you finally agree with me?

sal

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 am

That's funny.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 am

well he did say remember you are feeding a dog..last time i checked every tooth in a dog's mouth is for tearing food...

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:41 am

Dogs are not cats. Cats are dedicated carnivores. Dogs are not. Cats have short intestinal tracts evolved mainly for meat digestion. Dogs have longer intestinal tracts evolved for greater varieties of foods.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:51 am

(Fighting like) cats & dogs now that's really funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 am

We need to quit fightin' about dogfood and get to training, conditioning and hunting the dogs.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 am

He just can't drop it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:We need to quit fightin' about dogfood and get to training, conditioning and hunting the dogs.
Yeah, but feeding is part of the conditioning. I agree that some do like to "beat a dead horse," so to speak.

The bottom line is that most working dogs do well on most good feeds. I happen to only feed feed that has a good meat source as the first ingredient, but a good mid-grade feed is usually very cost-effective.
big steve

live4point

Post by live4point » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:23 am

A good rule of thumb for me is what comes out of the other end of the dog,if the dog makes small firm piles I know he is absorbing the food,if he is making big soft piles it tells me that there is alot of junk in the food his body is not obsorbing.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:49 am

live4point wrote:A good rule of thumb for me is what comes out of the other end of the dog,if the dog makes small firm piles I know he is absorbing the food,if he is making big soft piles it tells me that there is alot of junk in the food his body is not obsorbing.
It would seem to me that the texture of the stool would have little to do with how much food was being absorbed by the body. If you were to make a dry matter weight of the stools and compare to the dry matter weight intake then you might have some idea, but not a complete idea unless you made a full nutrient analysis of intake and output.

live4point

Post by live4point » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Come on over and measure and weigh them for me :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:14 pm

live4point wrote:A good rule of thumb for me is what comes out of the other end of the dog,if the dog makes small firm piles I know he is absorbing the food,if he is making big soft piles it tells me that there is alot of junk in the food his body is not obsorbing.

This is true. Softness and moisture are as much of an indicator of how soon after eating the dog eliminates as of what they ate. My dogs that hve a firm stool always eliminate when we start hunting and it won't be hard or even firm. Another factor is how much the dog drinks, the type of ingredientsin the food much the same as cheese does to us compared to other foods we eat such as fruits and vegetables, etc.

Small and fim is fine but has more to do with the water content in the stool than anything else. Keep the dogs a little hungry and it will be firm but then increase the feed a little and it will soften. You have to weight intake and output if you want to know what is being absorbed. But small firm stool are an indication the dog is beinf fed the right amount if they are also holding their weight at the same time.

Ezzy

live4point

Post by live4point » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Years ago I fed Ol'e Roy hi pro.I swear the piles that came out the back end looked bigger than the pile of food they ate!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:31 pm

our local hardware store stocks Big Red, and right next to the bags are those cheap plastic snow shovels, the owner Art tells me its just a coincidence :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:40 pm

mcbosco wrote:our local hardware store stocks Big Red, and right next to the bags are those cheap plastic snow shovels, the owner Art tells me its just a coincidence :lol:
Several years ago I fed Big Red and finished to Champions and had several trial placements and never had a dog that didn't do good on it. But by todays standards people would make fun of it but it does a good job with all of the dogs we had in the boarding kennel.

Funny how we ignore how much waste we produce when picking our diet and what is good for you. Same is true when we feed any of our livestock, our cats or horses, or any of the fowl. The one and only exception is the dog. It seems to me that we do that becuse we have to cleanup after them so in all our wisdom we have most people picking their dogs diet by what creates the least annoyance to us, the dreaded cleanup. Too bad more people don't ask the dog. I had a plantation owner from Georgia that said the Big Red was the best feed he had ever used and was buying it by the truck load.

Funny how different our opinions can be yet the dogs thrive and do well.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:23 pm

ezzy, the statement about Big Red was a joke, you have to admit when you see shovels next to dog food what ever the brand you have to laugh.