Question?

Meller

Question?

Post by Meller » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm

My friends puppy has some spots about the size of dime or penny that has lost hair and seems to have a crusty apperience not a scab, just crusty, one of the pups spots has a spot in the center. Has anyone seen any thing like this, and if so could tell me what it is?
Thank You in advance.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Question?

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Demodectic mange can start out that way and its common in pups but a vet should be consulted. How old is the pup and where are the spots located?

If there are multiple areas demodectic mange is a good bet. Hopefully its just a localized case if thats what it is.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:57 pm

The pup is around 15 wks. and the spots are on the side and behind the frontleg on the side and on the rump, just about the size of a dime.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:12 pm

its hard to say since i am not a vet but thats what it sounds like to me..in pups its usually not a big deal...the vet may want to a do a scraping and see if the mite count is high..this form of mange if thats what it is, is not contagious.

personally, i wouldnt resort to extreme treatment in a puppy, rather i would up the protein in the pups diet and watch it.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I looked demonic mange up on the internet and the picture that it showed really does'nt look like what I looked at on the pup, I'm wondering about bug bite or something of that nature, just don't know ?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:47 pm

If they are round they could be ringworm, a fungus.
brenda

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:02 pm

They are round, no hair and crusty looking, what do you do for ring worm? I put some antifungal spray on the spot's for the last two days.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:26 pm

ringworm is usually itchy and IT IS VERY contagious

clotrimazole cream is good for that, i have seen ringworm on a few animals and its not always round and the lesions can get wet and sticky

it is summer so it could very well be ringworm, fungus loves warmth and hunididty

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:53 am

I've zero first hand experience with ringworm, but a vet I guided who mistook a slick (not crusty, like your pup's skin0 round scar on my dog's muzzle for ringworm told me to put a good women's yeast infection product on it. 'Course, given his misdiagnosis, the Rx could be suspect, as well...

I'd take the pup to the vet.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:31 am

Want to thank you all for the response and sincere concern and if this would have been my on puppy it would have been taken to the vet, but since it is not mine I wanted to draw from other experienced bird dog owners; and what better place to go to than right here where falued and sincered opions are appriecieated. He is now treating with a antifungal cream and seems to be haveing a positive result; but we will cross our fingers and hope this works.
Again Thank all for thier valued help.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 am

If it IS Ringworm you can put Lotriman creme or any fungal ointment on it couple times a day. It takes a long time to go away. The ringworm I have seen is round and can be crusty, I do not see it being that itchy. It is contagious so wash your hands after treatment. I have never caught it from a dog, but I got a spot of it on me once after treating it on a horse.
brenda

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:22 am

give him a few bats in a good medicated (antifungal/antibacterial) shampoo as well. that will help decrease the chances of spreading it to you or other critters.

Meller

Re: Question? update!

Post by Meller » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:52 am

Talked to my friend last night and he told me the spots on his puppy are getting better, one has just about vanishedthanks to the antifungal cream.
I want to thank you all for the good advice, and he thanks you also.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 am

sure, i'm glad its not demodectic mange, fungal infections can be persistent though so tell him to keep a watch...