update-canadae vs diamond natural

cheezehead

update-canadae vs diamond natural

Post by cheezehead » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

last week we decided to switch from diamond natural large breed puppy food to canadae. the dog seems to eat the canidae better. stools are firm and not as "smelly". the biggest change that we've noticed has been the pups energy. he's playing harder, running longer, just plain "better". my conclusion is: for my dog, at this time, canidae seems to be a better food.

brdhntr

Re: update-canadae vs diamond natural

Post by brdhntr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 am

Which Canadae are you feeding?

GottoHunt

Post by GottoHunt » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 pm

I switched to canidae last week, I am using the ALS Chicken & Rice, my dog loves it, and cleans his bowl every night. I have noticed firmer stools
and less of them, plus his coat seems so much nicer and softer, and doesn't seem to shed as much. He really likes the food, but I have become
a little concerned after reading so much about canidae and there new formula. I will watch him closely, but as right now I am sold on it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm

als or chicken & rice? there are several formulas.

dont forget the 6th bag free policy

cheezehead

Post by cheezehead » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 pm

i'm feeding the all life stage formula. so far so good.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Not seeing Canadae in the feed store here. Recently switched to Diamond Naturals from Pro Plan. Not 100% set on Diamond, have an open mind. Even considering a 50-50 mix with Pro Plan.
What is the bag size/price on canadae. Pro Plan was just getting too darn expensive, even with the pro club checks.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:22 pm

44lb bag is $40 on the east coast with the 6th bag free..nothing compares for the price given ingredients and calorie count and very few compare regardless, just my opinion on kibble.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:51 pm

You guys that are switching to Canidae may want to do a google search for Canidae recall. I'm not trying to bash them, but they have had some serious problems in the recent past you may want to look into. I found all of these problems out on my own and after several trips to the vet and several $ spent.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:19 am

Bryan wrote:You guys that are switching to Canidae may want to do a google search for Canidae recall. I'm not trying to bash them, but they have had some serious problems in the recent past you may want to look into. I found all of these problems out on my own and after several trips to the vet and several $ spent.
I read all about the "issues". My GSP has been on the ALS formula for several months now and she does fantastic on it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 pm

are you referring to the formula change from last year?

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 pm

The formula change may have been the problem. When I first found Canidae I thought I had found a good food along with the kennel program. I had one dog do good and have no problems at all. I had one dog that always had blood in her stool, so I figured it was worms and would worm her and then would have blood in her stool again. Finally decided enough and took her to the vet,tested blood work and stool, no worms. During all of this I figured it can't be the dog food, because I wasn't feeding junk food. I had a bred female on Canidae, 1 week before they were due she quit eating. I had to take her to the vet for a c-section, some pups were dead and by next morning all were dead. I had the vet do blood work to test her to find out what happened. Her kidney's had become toxic and were shutting down. Her level was about 130 and the top of normal is about 30. She lived and can still be hunted but is not the same dog she was. Again, never thought it could be the dog food. Then had another litter of pups with mother on half Canidae and half another food. Pups were in the garage since it was winter. I put the pups on Canidae when they were weaned, started to have blood in their stool and they had been wormed. I put them on Pro Plan puppy and within 1 day, firm stool with no blood. I went to a trial a week later for a weekend, my dad fed the pups and I forgot to tell him I switched food. He fed them Canidae, I got home to loose bloody stools. I put them back on Pro Plan puppy and again within 1 day, firm stool with no blood.
Then I finally realized the food was the problem. Slow learner I guess. Then I did a search and found a bunch of people having problems with Canidae. I am not trying to bash them, just letting you guys know of my experience. Then a funny thing happened, I was talking to a guy with a dog food company. I told him I had been feeding Canidae and he asked me if I was seeing loose bloody stools?
That pretty much ruined the day when I found out the food was the problem and I thought back to what it cost me between dollars spent and a lost litter of pups.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:28 pm

it is interesting how diets change effect certain animals, mine rarely eats the same thing two days in a row since i mix in raw meat and organs and a few other things and i never notice a stool change, my parents dog gets the runs if you change his food bowl

sorry to hear about your dog, did you ever send some of the food back to the company so they could look at it?

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 pm

My wife feeds their cat food, and she recently got a new bag, and the cats refuse to eat it. Last bag no problem, but they wont touch the new bag. I even caught them eating the dogs food. So I got a sample bag of different food, and fed them and they ate like they were starving. My thought was maybe they were being picky, but then my wife picked up a new bag of the felidae, put it in a bowl right next to the other felidae, and they chowed it down. It looks like they may have a quality control issue. The cats definitely have a problem with that batch of food.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 am

This was over a several month time period because I was sure it was not the dog food. After I found out the food was the problem and reading about other people having problems and a law suit, I just threw out the food I had left and never contacted Canidae about the problem. Plenty of other people had and had not got much of a response from them. At the time, I thought I was feeding a good food. When I switched the puppies to another food and their stools were fine in 1 day is when I realized they had problems and then I thought about the past problems my dogs had including the one that lost a litter of pups.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Feeding my older dog Canidae ALS. No problems what so ever.

mitchhurt
Location: Livingston, Montana/ Patagonia, Arizona/ Cotulla, Texas

Post by mitchhurt » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:17 pm

I've been feeding Canidae ALS to all of my 25 dogs for 2 years now. Also have raised 3 litters of puppies on it. I feed a 44lb bag every 2 days. When the formula changed I had a fair amount of loose stools for around half of my dogs. I did not see any change in their overall health or performance. I wasn't happy with cleaning it out of the kennels but it was what it was. I had 30 bags of food and didn't want to throw it out. The next pallet of food I got cleaned things up right away and I haven't had a problem since. I am real happy with how all of my dogs look on it and the performance in the field. I fed Pro Plan Performance for 7 or 8 years before that feed the same amount of Canidae to each dog. Another interesting result of feeding Canidae is that I no longer give my older dogs any aspirin or Rimadyl for joint pain. I don't know why the food made a difference but it sure did for 5 dogs.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

mitch if you dont mind me asking what do you pay per 44lbs bag when you buy some much?

sal

mitchhurt
Location: Livingston, Montana/ Patagonia, Arizona/ Cotulla, Texas

Post by mitchhurt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 am

Depending on if they are running any special offers. $34 to $36 per bag.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:12 am

thanks