For hard to keep dogs.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

For hard to keep dogs.

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

I just wanted to post a suggestion for anyone who has a hard to keep dog. I have 2 pointers who are notoriously hard to keep weight on especially in the summer months. Where I live the temperatures reach the triple digits and stay there quite often during the summer months so I was having trouble keeping weight on my Miller bred female pointer because she is so active and I have such a large backyard that she runs in and I was also having trouble keeping weight on my Elhew bred male pointer not because he is so active but because he just will not eat much when it is hot outside, he eats just enough to keep him going. All of my dogs are outside dogs at the moment since I rent a house where I cannot have them inside. I tried several different types and brands of dog food including one from the local feed store that many of the kennels/gudied hunting operations use for their dogs which is Country Pride a 26/18 mixture, Red Flannel a 26/18 mixture, Diamond for active breeds 24/20 mixture, Diamond Premium which is a 26/18 mixture, and Proplan 30/20 mixture all in about a 2 year period. Recently I went to a cheaper brand of food for the dogs which is a 27/18 mixture from the local grocery store which does pretty good but not good enough. I also tried some home made concoctions of liver, tuna, raw hamburger and raw canned pumpkin all to no avail.

I also recently read on an internet site that the only difference in most premium brand dog foods and cheaper brand foods was the type and amount of protein and fat in the food. I also read to try putting a couple of scoops of lard or animal fat based cooking oil on your dogs food a day and that this would boost an otherwise cheap brand of dog food up to nearly the same nutritional value of some of the premium brand foods. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and the change in my dogs is amazing. They have really started to put on the weight and to keep it on. Mind you I have been trying to find ways to keep weight on them for 2 years and nothing really worked until now. Some of the premium brand foods gave the dogs diarrhea, some they did not eat well and some they ate well but it would not keep weight on them like I wanted. This method of putting a couple of scoops of lard in a dish and melting it and then pouring it over the dogs 27/18 blend of cheaper brand food has really worked. Not only has it put weight on and kept it on but they seem to be more active, their hair seems to be softer and in better shape and they just seem to act healthier. I am not saying it will work for all dogs but it was an inexpensive alternative for me and has kept me from having to pay $35-$40 a bag for food. Just a suggestion for any budget conscious hunting dog owners out there. Try it, it may work for you too.

Just for those naysayers who say I just needed to feed more, I have had them on an automatic feeder for about 6 or 7 months now as well and that was not even doing it until I tried this.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: For hard to keep dogs.

Post by birddogger » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:21 am

Thanks for sharing that Tommy. This is some good information, although I am not surprised. I am glad you found an easy and inexpensive fix.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:06 am

lard is good...my food, Abady is very rich in lard...

apart from the protein deficiences in most kibbles, the fat component is very weak..its just sprayed on junk for the most part..there is a vacuum method to get fat levels up in kibble but not many companies use it, i only know one actually..

you can pick your oil or fat, pork fat, olive oil, flax, fish, whole milk yogurt, egg yolks, coconut, etc any of those helps a ton

they may get a little soft at first but after a few days they adjust

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 am

tommyboy72 wrote: I also recently read on an internet site that the only difference in most premium brand dog foods and cheaper brand foods was the type and amount of protein and fat in the food. I also read to try putting a couple of scoops of lard or animal fat based cooking oil on your dogs food a day and that this would boost an otherwise cheap brand of dog food up to nearly the same nutritional value of some of the premium brand foods. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and the change in my dogs is amazing. They have really started to put on the weight and to keep it on. Mind you I have been trying to find ways to keep weight on them for 2 years and nothing really worked until now. Some of the premium brand foods gave the dogs diarrhea, some they did not eat well and some they ate well but it would not keep weight on them like I wanted. This method of putting a couple of scoops of lard in a dish and melting it and then pouring it over the dogs 27/18 blend of cheaper brand food has really worked. Not only has it put weight on and kept it on but they seem to be more active, their hair seems to be softer and in better shape and they just seem to act healthier. I am not saying it will work for all dogs but it was an inexpensive alternative for me and has kept me from having to pay $35-$40 a bag for food. Just a suggestion for any budget conscious hunting dog owners out there. Try it, it may work for you too.

Just for those naysayers who say I just needed to feed more, I have had them on an automatic feeder for about 6 or 7 months now as well and that was not even doing it until I tried this.
With all due respect, wouldn't it be better to put more PROTEIN in their diet rather than more FAT?

We were having a similar problem with our GSP and switched him from Exceed Chicken (~30% protein, ~20% fat) to Evo Large Bites (~ 42% protein, ~22% fat). He is now at a good weight despite getting LESS of the Evo than he was of the Exceed.

Thought I'd pass this along,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 am

Evo and foods like it Orijen, Instinct, Blue Wilderness, TOTW, Abady, are the best solutions..far better protein and far better fat and no fillers but they come at a higher upfront cost...for some that doesn't work, some get scared of the nutrient levels....some just wont open their minds.. I just finished a 48lb box of Abady that I opened on 6/22, and i have a 90lb + Spinone. Despite the high cost for the box $105, its certainly goes a long way.

So what Tommy did, adding some more fat to an average food is not a terrible thing.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:33 am

I have a very hard time keeping weight on Leena. She is currently eating Healthwise, but she is getting skinny on it. If I give her enough to keep weight on, she gets diarrhea from having too much food. She cant really tolerate any of the performance foods either..I think they are too rich.

:|
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 am

Healthwise is very grain heavy maybe thats why she gets loose..try a grain-free, Evo, Core & Canidae grain free are easy to find, and see how she does. She will eat a whole lot less, perhaps that will take the pressure off the stools and she will put on weight. They are rich but very high quality.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:25 am

mcbosco wrote:Healthwise is very grain heavy maybe thats why she gets loose..try a grain-free, Evo, Core & Canidae grain free are easy to find, and see how she does. She will eat a whole lot less, perhaps that will take the pressure off the stools and she will put on weight. They are rich but very high quality.
Tommyboy found a healthy and inexpensive solution to keep his dogs healthy and looking good without getting caught up in all this nonsense about needing to feed an expensive grain free food. Good for you for using common sense Tommy. :wink:

Charlie

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:32 am

mcbosco wrote:Healthwise is very grain heavy maybe thats why she gets loose..try a grain-free, Evo, Core & Canidae grain free are easy to find, and see how she does. She will eat a whole lot less, perhaps that will take the pressure off the stools and she will put on weight. They are rich but very high quality.
She was on a grain free food for the past few months, and it didnt help at all :( She was on Taste of the Wild. We tried all the varities with no change. I thought the simpleness of Healthwise would help. :?
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:36 am

i agreed with Tommy by the way...and my comment about the grain-frees had nothing to do with him per se...it was a follow up to the next post about a general upgrade to foods...none of the grain frees are expensive when you factor in effciency, within 5% of each other.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am

Tommy,

Look back through the archives and I think you will find that is what many of us have done for years. Any oil will work though I do think most animal fat adds more taste. I have used this method for 40 years so I have never had to change foods or the amount I was feeding to the dogs when we were showing or working the dogs hard. Also they get a little canola oil normally when the weather gets rel cold. It's the sensible way to take care of your animals needs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:48 am

kerplunk105 wrote:
She was on a grain free food for the past few months, and it didnt help at all :( She was on Taste of the Wild. We tried all the varities with no change. I thought the simpleness of Healthwise would help. :?
When you go grain free you will naturally have more trouble keeping weight on your dog as you lower the carbs that the dog needs. Given their choice you will see most animals try to balance their own needs and in the winter they will eat a great deal more corn or other heat producing feeds while in the summer they will eat more fiberous vegetable matter or lean meat without the fat.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:48 am

ezzy, why dont more companies use pork fat? Next to fish oil, it has the best profile by far?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:50 am

kerplunk, maybe she needs some enzymes and probiotics, they are safe, cheap and worth a shot.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:58 am

mcbosco wrote:kerplunk, maybe she needs some enzymes and probiotics, they are safe, cheap and worth a shot.
She already gets a digestive enzyme :? http://www.wholepetmarket.com/proddetai ... untjenisde
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:04 am

well then she is just a lovely slender lady then..how old is she?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am

Mcbosco,

For the most part fat is fat and they all fill the purpose we need in a feed. Fish oil does provide a few other benefits but also carries many elements that can be deadly which is seldom talked about. Vegetable oils are great but most are used in human foods and are more expensive due to the manufacturing requirements to seperate them from the grain. But there is a ready supply of animal fat that is less than human food quality, due to handling and storage methods, that is cheaper and is just as benificial to the dog as any other fat. There just isn't much difference in fat in providing the calories and conditioning needed in a dog food. Its not at all like protein or carbs that have many different qualities.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:13 am

mcbosco wrote:well then she is just a lovely slender lady then..how old is she?
She's just 9 months, unspayed.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 am

What can be deadly about fish oils or fish fat? Mercury, lead ?

The good ones go through molecular distillation or are from short-lived, non-predator species like herring, sardines, anchovy, etc.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:19 am

Oh she sounds like my Spinone at that age. He is 20 months now and intact. At 9-12 months he was slender even though he ate quite a bit. There were days though he ate very little. Your dog is developing and unspayed, perhaps that has something to do with it.

Those hormones.....ya know

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Ever heard of the Atkins Diet in humans? That is why you have to be careful to not give too high a protein to fat food. You will end up increasing the metabolism and actually dehydrating and burning up lean muscle rather than just fat. In really lean hard to keep and active dogs like mine a little extra body fat is not a bad thing. They will burn it up just as soon as hunting season gets here anyway. Believe me I have tried all of the affordable alternatives when it comes to dog food and this method really works well and fast.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:04 pm

i agree, the Abady I feed is 32/28, with only about 5% of protein from non-animal sources.

very dense

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
kerplunk105 wrote:
When you go grain free you will naturally have more trouble keeping weight on your dog as you lower the carbs that the dog needs. Given their choice you will see most animals try to balance their own needs and in the winter they will eat a great deal more corn or other heat producing feeds while in the summer they will eat more fiberous vegetable matter or lean meat without the fat.

Ezzy
And yet if you refer back to my post, you will find just the opposite of your statement. My GSP was actually LOSING weight despite being on 4 cups/day of Exceed. At the end of May we switched him to Evo Large Bites (2.5 cups/day). At a chance weigh in last week he tipped the scales at 60 pounds, and not an ounce of it is fat: he's lean, hard, muscle and blisteringly fast!

Grain free does not mean carb free. They are simply coming from sources other than wheat or corn.

Pax,
=SubMariner=

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 am

sub,

so you went from buying and feeding 4 cups a day to 2.5 a day? How does that work out cost wise where you live?

sal

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:27 am

SubMariner wrote:
And yet if you refer back to my post, you will find just the opposite of your statement. My GSP was actually LOSING weight despite being on 4 cups/day of Exceed. At the end of May we switched him to Evo Large Bites (2.5 cups/day). At a chance weigh in last week he tipped the scales at 60 pounds, and not an ounce of it is fat: he's lean, hard, muscle and blisteringly fast!

Grain free does not mean carb free. They are simply coming from sources other than wheat or corn.

Pax,

There is an exception to every rule...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:36 am

Ya submariner I googled your Evo dog food and at $56 for a 28.6 lb. bag of dog food there is no way I could afford to feed my 3. I think I will stick with my more affordable alternative. :)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Ya submariner I googled your Evo dog food and at $56 for a 28.6 lb. bag of dog food there is no way I could afford to feed my 3. I think I will stick with my more affordable alternative. :)

But Tom you feed so much less that in the long run it is cheaper...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 am

Wait a sec, $56 for a bag saves Sub money. If he is feeding roughly 62.5% (2.5/4)the math works. A 44lb of Exceed Performance is about the same price. That means that 44lbs of Exeed is really only 27.5 pounds of Evo.

Throw in a trip to vet for a ear infection or impacted anal glands or something else and you are way ahead.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 am

It wouldn't matter around here anyway. I live in such a rural area I would have to drive 100 miles to Amarillo to get it or else pay shipping to have it sent to me.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:44 am

im jealous, i am in NYC everyday from 7 am till 8 pm, get 4 hours of sleep if I am lucky

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:56 am

Sometimes I wish I lived in NYC. Just graduated with a Finance degree at the age of 37 with 2 kids and a wife and its been heck finding a job here. More about who you know rather than a degree or experience. Had to go to work at the county jail as a detention deputy. Not what I pictured when I graduated college and not the pay I wanted but its a job and I know a lot of the deputies and the undersheriff so that helped. Living out in the boonies is good during hunting season but not so good when it comes time for work or shopping.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:00 am

job market is dead here too..but the women in summer dresses are still great

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:04 am

Compare your positives against the negatives, and I'm sure you will be thankful to be where you are at. The COL is much less where you are at etc.

Since you know county people, and you have a finance degree, run for county treasurer! :)
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 am

mcbosco wrote:im jealous, i am in NYC everyday from 7 am till 8 pm, get 4 hours of sleep if I am lucky
Ah Ha, now we know the problem! :lol: :lol:

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 am

ezzy, you are one stubborn ole country boy..the real problem is that I went to Notre Dame.

lol

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 am

mcbosco wrote:Wait a sec, $56 for a bag saves Sub money. If he is feeding roughly 62.5% (2.5/4)the math works. A 44lb of Exceed Performance is about the same price. That means that 44lbs of Exeed is really only 27.5 pounds of Evo.

Throw in a trip to vet for a ear infection or impacted anal glands or something else and you are way ahead.
Locally I can get the 28.6# bag of Evo Large Bites (Ch & Turkey) for $49.95; a 44# of Exceed is $30.00 at my local Sam's Club. However, I actually had to take out a membership at the Sam's Club because that was the only way to get the food. Otherwise we never set foot in there (there's no point for only 2 people). Ergo, you have to add in the $35/yr for the membership as well, as it is a cost I wouldn't normally generate.

Soo.... if I'm doing the calculations correctly (which I don't guarantee at all... I'm blonde, with the mathematical aptitude of a brick :P ) it looks like I pay ~$4.37/day to feed my dog 2.5 cups of Evo to be healthy, and ~$2.83/day to feed him 4 cups of Exceed to be undernourished.

AFAIK, it's worth the extra $1.54/day for him to be healthier.
=SubMariner=

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 am

Just for fun, I went to my local grocery store to check on the price of lard. $9.99 for an 8lb tub. I'm sure that would go a long way if only added by the spoonful here and there to the dog food.

While there, I cruised the meat aisle and noticed their special this week. Whole chickens for $.49 per pound. That's cheaper than the dog food I've bought lately. I've tried raw before but it was a hassle for me to deal with.

I would love to come home with 50lbs of whole chicken and ask my wife if there's enough room in the refrigerator for the dog food I got on sale. :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:33 am

sub,

You have to compare apple to apples, i compared Evo to Exceed Performance....compare Innova (same company as Evo) to the regular Exceed you priced.

Either way, one trip to the vet and you are ahead.

sal

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:47 am

sub,

Each cup of EVO weighs 4.4 ounces, so 28.6 lbs is 457.6 ounces or 104 cups per bag, so that 48 cents a cup times 2.5 equals = $1.20 a day

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:58 pm

mcbosco wrote:sub,

You have to compare apple to apples, i compared Evo to Exceed Performance....compare Innova (same company as Evo) to the regular Exceed you priced.

Either way, one trip to the vet and you are ahead.

sal
Is there more than one Chicken Exceed? The only one I've seen (and the bag full that sitting in my garage) does say Performance on it, like this one http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=434241.

Hmmm... :?
=SubMariner=

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:00 pm

mcbosco wrote:sub,

Each cup of EVO weighs 4.4 ounces, so 28.6 lbs is 457.6 ounces or 104 cups per bag, so that 48 cents a cup times 2.5 equals = $1.20 a day
Ah, I see (says the blonde one) you're talking about a cup by WEIGHT as opposed to a cup by VOLUME (8 oz measuring cup). Is that right?
=SubMariner=

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:10 pm

a cup by volume weighs 4.4 ounces, there are 104 cups in the bag. do you really feed 2.5, 8 ounce cups? if thats the case, its much cheaper than you think

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:45 am

mcbosco wrote:a cup by volume weighs 4.4 ounces, there are 104 cups in the bag. do you really feed 2.5, 8 ounce cups? if thats the case, its much cheaper than you think
Interesting. How are the feeding guidelines supposed to be interpreted? I would think that most people simply use a measuring cup as I do to portion out the dog's food rather than weight it out on a scale. Am I wrong?

We use a plastic measuring cup that tops out at 3 cups. He currently gets 2.5 cups of Evo using that method. (Similarly, we was getting 4 cups of Exceed using the same measuring cup.)

Told ya math wasn't my strong suit... ;)
=SubMariner=

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 am

there are volume ounces and weight ounces...if you take a measuring cup and fill it to 1 cup the food weighs 4.4 ounces..

lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:31 am

Most people just use a cup for a measuring tool without weighing it. So what it amounts to is you are feeding that much by volume. But you can't compare the amount you are feeding of one food to another when just talking volume. When measuring by volume you have to compared the density of the feeds to really have any information that mean anything.

I will use the example I have used before, that is one cup of unpoped popcorn. Then your neighbor pops it but he is feeding ten cups to your one, but the nutrition you get from them is exactly the same and you are both feeding 1/2 pound of corn but in a different form. If you want to compare apples to apples then you will need to see how much you are feeding of each by weight. And even then there can be some differences since the different processes may destroy or enhance certain characteristics of the feed.

Some of these same problems are encountered when you decide on what is the best feed for the money just by reading a list of ingredients.Too many people think they can tell a lot about a feed just by that list. We constantly hear that you need an animal source as the first ingredient instead of a vegetable source and in a very general sense that is good. But you might find a feed with 500 pounds of meat, 280 lbs of corn, and 270 pounds of wheat and the feed will show the animal source as the first ingredient and some people will say that is a great food because it is animal protein based. Another feed may have 500 pounds of corn, 480 pounds meat, and 400 pounds of chicken by-products but those same people will say it is a corn based feed and isn't as good when in actuality it is the better feed as far as using animal based protein.

All I am trying to point out is no one has enough info by reading a list of ingredients to make any kind of a judgement as to quality of the feed. And no one can compare feeds by the volume amount they are feeding. If yu want to judge a feed look at your dog and if he is healthy and energentic then he is getting fed well. And maybe some day people will get over always thinking there is something better that what is working well. You need to remember also the biggest differences in how a dog is doing is the result of management and not the feed you are using. Care, exercise, housing, and socializing with people are all a major part of the equation and they don't come in a bag or have a list of ingredients.

Grain based feeds have been the feed of choic for decades and it is rather recent that that manufacturing plants have started making dog food and one of the advantages has been a better and much more convienent choice of ingredients. Thank God they have mde feeding a dog so much easier as well as better and our dogs show the results in performance and longevity.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 am

we weren't we trying to figure out how much Sub spends per day..it just so happens Evo weighs 4.4 ounces per cup by volume

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am

Mayonaise. I haven't tried it myself, but a friend with a hard keeper swears by it, and his dog looks good. Kind of makes sense, as it's basically oil and eggs. He just squirts it on the dog food.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 am

hahahha yummm, Helman's?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:14 pm

All the math is getting pretty confusing to me. :? Tommy, it sounds to me like you have an accessible, affordable diet that is keeping your dogs healthy and looking good and I think that is the bottom line. It is an interesting thread though. :D

Charlie

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:01 pm

finally got that avatar done