beaten up legs

NH_GSP

beaten up legs

Post by NH_GSP » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:26 am

My GSP has spent the first couple of days in the field. Her front legs are kind of beaten up, scratches scrapes and rubbed raw in a few places. A tummy saver does not protect that region and I would like to put something on those sore spots, i.e. bagbalm etc. What would be best?

Hank

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:13 am

vetwrap might help to protect???

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:25 am

Kevin wrote:vetwrap might help to protect???
That was my thought as well.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

honeyrun

Post by honeyrun » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:47 am

Bagbam will work well to help keep the areas from getting scabby and hard. Also, EMT gel will help with the cuts and scratches.
Cindy Stahle
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honey Run Hounds

Home of:
CH Baretta Vom Otterbach, MH, CGC, NA1, UTII, D1, AZP1 (GSP-German Import)
AM/Can CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, MH, NAI (GSP)
CH Honey Run's Impressive, JH, NAI (GSP)
BPIS CH Windkist's Stealin Hearts (Beagle)
GrCH Windkist Branston Talk About Me (Beagle)
CH Lanbur Windkist Rosalinda (Beagle)
Breeder of:
VC, CH Honey Run's Puck, MH
BIS, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, CD, MH, UTI(2xs), NAII
FC Honey Run's Hannah Barbara, MH
and many others

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:18 am

I bet u could get some leather leggins made for cheap.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:11 pm

I vote with Cindy. Udder balm or EMT gel at the end of the day, to help with the cure. Or spray-on invisible bandage. EMT gel and udder balm unfortunately can be licked off by the dog, if it can get to the location to do the licking. Have heard of people using super glue, which the dog cannot lick off once it is dry. Neither vet wrap nor EMT will stay on in the field, and I doubt superglue would last long either. Have tried vet wrap, and it will not stay on very well in the field either. If it is high on the leg, and not down around the foot, it might be worth a try. Around the foot area vet wrap is hopeless in the field.

There are some makers of boots that come up to the knee that I ran across in looking for boots for my dog (she slipped her front pads). Here is one: http://www.dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/dogboots.htm

The dogs hate them at first, but it does not take them long in the field to learn to like them. If you use high boots, or any boots, you do want to put vet wrap under them to prevent the boots from wearing the dog's legs. That vet wrap, under the boots, will not come off. Most people who use boots also use duct tape to hold them on around the top.

NH_GSP

Post by NH_GSP » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:54 pm

The area that is in question is at the chest. I have put bagbalm on it but she licks it of as soon as she is left alone. So, if there was something that she could not lick off that would be good. As for the protection, is there something like a shirt? To protect her tummy and her legs down to the knee.

Hank

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:34 pm

Try putting a cone on her head when u medicate.

NH_GSP

Post by NH_GSP » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:53 pm

"The cone of silence" It works but I can stop laughing at her.
Hank