vet says pull it

dhondtm

vet says pull it

Post by dhondtm » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:56 pm

I've tried to get it to budge, but it is wedged in there. Looks like she may need surgery just to pull her baby tooth. :?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Ouch! Is she showing any pain because of that? That baby tooth shoulda been long gone by the time the permanent one came in.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:13 pm

no pain but as you can see needs more brushing because of it. the other side did the same but it got loose enough it came out.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:26 pm

Yep. Pull it. Probably be able to do it fast, shove smelly treat under dogs nose immediately after & will forget :lol:

(or are mine just piggies?)

Marg

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:20 am

Get it out of there.

Rgrdz,

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:37 am

I had a family of dogs that would do that years ago. Always had to pull the baby teeth. From my experience it tends to be hereditary.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:25 am

our vet won't pull it without spaying the dog, claims it is an alteration even though it's a baby tooth and the dog wouldn't be show quality anymoer. :roll:

Suggested we play tug o war with a rope and try to get t loose.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:39 pm

You have to be kidding!!! What is your vet, a show warden? I`d dump the vet and get another one.
brenda

Kurzhaar

differences

Post by Kurzhaar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:52 pm

As Ezzy mentioned, the retention of deciduous teeth may have a genetic link, but there is a huge difference between remaining deciduous teeth and having extra adult teeth. If the vet pulls the tooth and there is a root, then you should neuter. If there is no root, then there should be no problems with "breedability".

What has your breeder had to say about this?

Jim

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:50 pm

Your vet needs to rethink what he is saying. Thats about like clipping toenails or docking the tail. This is nothing more than correcting a health problem since it is a baby tooth. Find another vet that will remove it so the adult teeth can get in the position they should be in.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:25 pm

Oh Crikey !!

Your vet is loopy. Go to another. It is easy to see from photo
it's a baby tooth.

Get it pulled out because leaving it may (note: may) displace another tooth. YOu could also try a big leg bone for the dog to gnaw on, that could loosen it to fall out, as they gnaw with the side of the teeth, not particularly good description but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Marg

pear

Post by pear » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:19 pm

Oh my is your vet a real vet or a wannabe god? Find a vet that wil extract the tooth and be done with it....I think ezzy said it best in his last post.............."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Your vet needs to rethink what he is saying. Thats about like clipping toenails or docking the tail. This is nothing more than correcting a health problem since it is a baby tooth. Find another vet that will remove it so the adult teeth can get in the position they should be in.

Ezzy
I agree wholeheartedly. Also with what Brenda said.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:27 pm

And especially since you won 2 points towards her championship with that tooth just the way it is!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:25 pm

Pulling a baby tooth an "alteration". Sheesh. Pull the tooth. Flush the vet. Show the dog.

Rgrdz,

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:39 pm

I talked to the breeder and she gave me her vets number which apparently just did the same procedure on both sides with one of Teka's littermates. So we are scheduling an appointment. In the mean time I will take your suggestion and give her some real bones to gnaw at.

By the way same vet from this situation.... I should of listened to my own advice back then.
http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:43 pm

It looks seriosue u should just give her to me so u dont have to see her suffer :D

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:44 pm

I think your vet has only inclined that you spay her while she is already under anestesia(sp?) as it would be easier on her rather than to go under only months later. My vet asked me the same thing (if he could neuter) when my pup was under for an umbilical hurnia. I told him no. He explained why he asked and added that most all vets ask to try and prevent any unwanted puppies, ie: the whole spay/neuter you dog and cat campaign.

What I dont get is why he is going to use anestesia to pull a tooth. No dentist I have ever heared of has pulled teeth that way unless the tooth wasnt exposed enough to get ahold of. Unless the adult tooth has put enough pressure on the baby tooth that it wont come right out.

Kurzhaar

Clarification

Post by Kurzhaar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:17 am

I spoke with two vets about this issue, both of them stated that it was indeed an issue, since the adult tooth should have erupted immediately under the baby tooth and pushed it out. However, both stated that the entire litter should be examined and any breeding decisions should take this into consideration.

Some of these genetic issues are extrememly difficult to eradicate once they are set into a line of dogs. I'd pull the tooth and weigh any breeding decision carefully.

Jim

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:57 am

dhondtm wrote:I talked to the breeder and she gave me her vets number which apparently just did the same procedure on both sides with one of Teka's littermates.
Did your breeder say if she has seen this before on other liters of hers? You might just blow off having 1 pup, but having 2 from the same liter??

Also I agree dump the Vet & find another.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Sounds like a genetic problem, which is exactly what I was afraid of. It won't hurt your pup in any way once you have it pulled but she is carrying the trait now and would probably pass it along if you ever breed her.

I think your breeder should make some amends esecially if you have a health guarantee. This would be very simuliar to having bad hips but no where as serious. But a show quality dog that throws defective pups is a problem.

Ezzy

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:31 pm

new vet, pulled this morning

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:26 pm

Well how did it go?

What did the new vet say?

What was the new diagnosis?

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:40 pm

Baby tooth, said it happens more often then people realize, not a big deal. Cost me about $135 not to mention the $30 visit to the last vet who said no problem make an appointment then later said one condition we have to spay her too. Oh and the new vet said I can train this Sunday she will be fine. She slept a lot today, but she seems great. Minor procedure....