GSP Shampoo Recommendation

gspkimber

GSP Shampoo Recommendation

Post by gspkimber » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:36 pm

Just want to see what you guys are using on your dogs...Please advise. I forget the name of the last stuff I purchased but it was drying out her skin.

kerplunk105

Re: GSP Shampoo Recommendation

Post by kerplunk105 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:11 am

More than the shampoo, make sure you wash it all out. I try and wash it out more than I think I should. If she tends to have dry skin after baths, you may want to get a shampoo with oatmeal in it or do a conditioner as well.

I use Earthbath. Its a little pricey, but I only have two dogs and they dont get baths all that often lol I use this: http://www.earthbath.com/orangepeeloil_pint.html

Oatmeal one: http://www.earthbath.com/oatmeal&aloe_pint.html

It does come it huge gallons as well http://www.earthbath.com/shampoo_gallons.html
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:33 am

i use earthbath too i have the orange oil formula

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:57 am

Its a great shampoo. I use the wipes for paws, and the ear and eye ones as wel.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:29 am

I use Mane and Tail. It's cheap and you can get it at your local feed store. It also doesn't dry out the coat.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 pm

I use whatever... During the flea season though, I seldom use shampoo but stick to warm water. Shampoo shortens the duration of several topical flea/tic treatments, including the Advantix I use.
My dogs live in the house but they only get a bath is they've been in the swamp.( No baths all winter.)
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Not to sound rude, but from another post you said you just got your pup. How many baths are you giving the pup? If mine see one any more than 4 per year we are doing good, and yes they are allowed in the house. It doesn't matter what you use if you give frequent baths they will dry out. They are dogs not people, they do not need frequent bathing.

gspkimber

Post by gspkimber » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Perfect. Yes, I just got her and gave her one bath. I am not going to give a lot unless she needs it but I just wanted to see what was out there. I did not want to use anything that people are against for whatever reason. Just want to learn all avenues of this...The input is greatly appreciated!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Sharon wrote:I use whatever... During the flea season though, I seldom use shampoo but stick to warm water. Shampoo shortens the duration of several topical flea/tic treatments, including the Advantix I use.
My dogs live in the house but they only get a bath is they've been in the swamp.( No baths all winter.)
I've been told by Bayer, the manufacturer of K9 Advantix, that as long as you use a mild shampoo (like no-tears formula) and make sure that it's at least 4 days after applying the product, that shampooing the dog does not diminsh the effectiveness of the Advantix.

FWIW, we use Perfect Coat Tearless Protein Shampoo (Chamomile) every few weeks. It seems to leave Zio's coat nice & shiny, as well as smelling great. This last part may not seem very important, but it sure works well after Zio's rolled in armadillo poop! Also, using a rubber curry glove from one of the local feed stores does a good job of removing any loose hair.

Pax,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm

The ADVANTIX prescription box says: "Shampooing of the dog will will shorten the duration of protection.Re-application following any shampooing is highly recommended."
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Maybe its just the advantix then.

"How long after application can my pet be bathed or go swimming?
FRONTLINE Brand Products remain effective for 30 days, even if a pet swims or is bathed. After application, keep the dog or cat from getting wet until the application area appears dry, usually 24 hours. If a FRONTLINE Brand Product is to be applied after a bath, make sure the pet is completely dry before application."
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Sharon wrote:The ADVANTIX prescription box says: "Shampooing of the dog will will shorten the duration of protection.Re-application following any shampooing is highly recommended."
All I can tell you is that I spoke with Bayer directly before posting. Also, the product is warranted as being "waterproof".

I think the key in the shampoo descriptor is "mild"; i.e. anything that does not have a strong detergent component in it.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:07 pm

i use main and tail or hartz otmeal shampoo both work great as roxi has problems with shampoos to
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy