home remedy ear cleaner

JoeA

home remedy ear cleaner

Post by JoeA » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:07 pm

3 parts apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 parts peroxide
1 part water
Mix and place a few drops in ear massage base of ear and clean with cotton or tissue.
This worked great on my gsp and cleared a ear infection up in 2 days

KY Grouse Hunter

Re: home remedy ear cleaner

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:28 am

Baby oil works just fine.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:47 pm

I have always used a commercial over the counter ear wash on a weekly basis. Squirt it in and massage it then let the dog shake it out. Make sure to duck.

My vet taught me how she does an ear flush in the clinic when dogs come in with really dirty gunky ears or an infection. She uses the commercial ear wash, massages well and hoses out the ear with a gentle stream of water. You will see hunks and chunks of dirt & ear wax come out into the tub. I have used an ear scope to look into a dogs ear that is full of dirt and wax and after a good ear flush it is as pink and clean as can be. That's the only way to really clean out a dogs ear. It doesn't hurt the dog at all.

This is the ear cleaner product I have always used.

http://www.petedge.com/Gimborn-R-7-Ear- ... goryId=219

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Joe,,, sounds like it did the job? Where did the recipe come from?

Also,,,, what's the thoughts on this scenerio? A dog come back from a work out or during a work out shaking his head/holding it sideways,, so you know it got some cheat grass/spearhead/seed in its ear. Do ya start flushing it with an ear cleaner or not? I have heard both ways from vets,,, you run the risk of washing it further down towards the ear drum and on the positive side you could wash it out and cure the problem? Or just leave it alone and the dogs will scratch and shake enough to hopefully get it out?

Any thoughts?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:18 pm

My vet who is also married to vet has come around to agree with me that yeast related ear infections are largely diet related. While I can't quote a scientific study specifically on ear infections in canines it is pretty well understood that a lack of friendly bacteria in the gut allows unfriendly microbes to make trouble. Many people know that doctors often tell people on antibiotics to eat yogurt and women know that yogurt fights yeast infections.

I spend more than most of food but I avoid common ailments and trips to the vet, which cost a minimum of $150 in NJ if anything is prescribed or sent to the lab.

Enough preaching but if your dog has ear infections that clear up and come right back, go to the grocery store and buy a quart of plain whole milk yogurt and try a couple tablespoons a day for a month. Goat milk yogurt is best and not hard to find. Raw green tripe is also loaded with friendly bacteria. Apple cider vinegar, organic, does as well. All are cheap and easy to get, especially cider vinegar and yogurt.

The bad yeasts don't like a fortified gut.

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:57 pm

We have a lab that is terrible about ear infections, best thing we've found is Chlorhexiderm (sp?) Flush. Then if truly infected after that follow up with your vet's antibiotic of choice.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 pm

I do like the food idea though... I know that has worked for some dogs.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:40 am

it does work more people need to try it, plus the dog gets a fresh protein and fat boost as well

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Here is an affordable OTOSCOPE less than $25 that we all should own.

http://www.drmomotoscope.com/#product

Plenty of products for sale if you Google.... Otoscope for sale

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Here's a popular concoction that has worked extremely well for me.

Ear Cleanse Formula "Purple Stuff"

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).
Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet will stain so best done outdoors. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment protocol for mild yeast infections:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.
All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and most pharmacies can get it for you if they don't carry it.

JoeA

Post by JoeA » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:44 pm

I did some research on natural remedys. The ear infection I think was caused by a switch to Purina Pro Plan Performance. Too much bad stuff. I have also been giving her two tbl spoons of plain yogurt 2X a day to help fight the yeast.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:59 pm

yogurt is great but Kefir is even better I bought some today, when i get back from vacation i am going to buy Kefir grains and make my own

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:24 pm

http://www.drharveys.com/blog/tag/148

read this about yogurt and kefir

Dr. Harvey, you might have seen is products in the store, is well regarded locally even though he is kind of nutty. He does not sell Kefir, so there is no conflict of interest. There is a story about a dog you should read.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:51 pm

the vast majority of the ear infections i see are caused by excess moisture in the ears (from swimming, bathing, whatever) which leads to either a yeast or bacterial infection. dogs ears just are not designed to drain moisture at all. however, i do see alot of infections secondary to allergies. the inflamed skin in the ear canal is more susceptible to overgrowth of the organisms (yeast or bacteria) that are already there. in those cases a food change of some type very well could help (if the allergy is to something they are eating).

also, i try to take a grain of salt with alot of the things i read on the internet. i would want to see some good scientific studies demonstrating the benefits of the yogurt or the kefir before i relied on it to treat an infection. but if it works for you, then great!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:42 am

its not really a treatment, if my dog was suffering i certainly would seek medical treatment, but my experience with my old Lab was that it just came back and i got tired of dealing with it.

regular feeding of pre and probiotics is pretty well documented to prevent but perhaps not tested specifically on ears

since there is no downside and multi-faceted upside, 2 ounces a day keeps the doctor away, no offense!!!

happy fathers day to all!!!

sal