running with a puppy??

Rick Hall

Re: running with a puppy??

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm a life-long runner who can't believe running on asphalt is good for anything but the tire industry, and certainly not young joints and growth plates, so I've never run my pups on it. Might not hurt a thing, but then again, why take the chance?

And though you didn't say you were running on or along roads, that's something I'd not want my pups thinking a good idea. (In fact, I won't even take them on walks that begin at our house because I don't want them every thinking it's OK for them to leave the yard.)

Maybe I worry too much about such things. Maybe not...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 am

when i got my puppy at 4 mons the vet did tell me to go easy on any kind of hard surface running for the 1st year or two. He didn't place any limitations on grass or field running and that is what i did to help keep my pup tired and happy and reasonable in the house!

I have read several times on this site as well as being told directly that a tired puppy is a good puppy!

I can't beleive the nerve of some people . While they had a point about running on ashphalt, they could politley have said something to you about it. This person was also dead wrong to make the assumption that you were using excercise to replace training. YOu need both!

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 am

The strangers message was correct, even if the delivery wasnt :?

Its not recommended to run a puppy since they are still growing on any type of hard surface. I usually let my 7mo puppy run in the woods/grass since its not as hard as the road. They say wait until at least a year until they are "forced ran".

I personally cant wait until my puppy it old enough to bike with. That is a great way to tire them quickly.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:52 am

I would walk the pup on hard surfaces- sort of along the idea of stay off roads- was living in town so it would be walk on the streets and run on the grass or fields- arround Clinton Lake in Lawrence I'd see quite a few folks jogging with dogs and some looked young- these were paths along the road where bikers also went- not a bad thing to have your companion with you- my daughter did it quite a bit with mine back some years- they both enjoyed it and I encoraged her- didn't want her running him on streets- in case he got loose some time- didn't want him to think the streets were ok

nothing wrong with a good looking gal and a good looking dog out for a jog

maybe arround you somewhere they have those paths arround parks where they have wood chips down instead of hard pack- might be great for both of you- and you might find some water to let yours swim a bit

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 am

Rick Hall wrote:I'm a life-long runner who can't believe running on asphalt is good for anything but the tire industry, and certainly not young joints and growth plates, so I've never run my pups on it. Might not hurt a thing, but then again, why take the chance?

And though you didn't say you were running on or along roads, that's something I'd not want my pups thinking a good idea. (In fact, I won't even take them on walks that begin at our house because I don't want them every thinking it's OK for them to leave the yard.)

Maybe I worry too much about such things. Maybe not...
I could have written this word for word. Expresses my actions and thoughts perfectly. My dogs are not allowed to go to the front yard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:17 pm

I certainly agree with the others on the running issue. To briefly adress the "chewing" issue, your pup also needs to chew and should have proper chew items it is allowed to chew on. KONG toys, Raw Beef Knuckle bones from the butcher, Large Nylabones, white sterilized marrow bones you can stuff with soft food treats. Food stuffed toys can be frozen and given to the dog on really hot days. Young dogs need to chew but only on their toys.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Some more food for thought from an interview with a championship dog musher that uses pointing gundogs on her sled teams:

What method do you use for starting pups?
Before I hook them up I like to take them out and attach a log to them and have them pull it while I run next to them. It seems like if they do that even once they are much more ready to be hooked up with a team. When they are about 6 months old I will hook them up in front of the ATV with a couple of good old leaders. It doesn't usually take them long to realize what they are supposed to do. I try to run them about once a week during their puppy year. I find that pups that have gotten quite a few runs on them will be much better as yearlings. While everyone else is complaining about their yearlings, ours don't even seem like yearlings. As we have no kennel help, our pups go everywhere with us. They have seen and done everything our adults have by the time they are a year old.

At what point do you decide a youngster is likely to make it in your team?
Usually during their yearling year we have a pretty good idea. They may not have speed plus distance, but they should have speed and they should have distance, not necessarily at the same time. If both are lacking we will probably find a slower team for them to run in. One such dog we gave to a friend of ours. She was having trouble running 10 miles fast, but in his slower team she was able to run 25 miles with no problem. If we're not sure, we will keep them until they're two-years-old.

Although only a year old I can tell that Chip, our German shorthaired pointer, is going to be another favorite. He led my 6-dog team to victory in the 2001 IFSS World Championships and Tok Race of Champions.

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/interview ... th.htm#top
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:39 pm

I had my older GSP on a walk in the winter.
I stopped at Tim Horton's to get a coffee.

While I was lined up a "lady" came in and hollered, "Who owns that dog outside!!?" She then berated me for taking a dog out when it was cold.

I restrained myself. ( and continued to wait for my coffee.) The others were rolling their eyes.

A special moment. :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 am

Sharon wrote:I had my older GSP on a walk in the winter.
I stopped at Tim Horton's to get a coffee.

While I was lined up a "lady" came in and hollered, "Who owns that dog outside!!?" She then berated me for taking a dog out when it was cold.

I restrained myself. ( and continued to wait for my coffee.) The others were rolling their eyes.

A special moment. :D
Mmmm... TIMMY'S... <drool a la Homer Simpson> Can I put in my order here? Lesseee... I'll have 6 french cruellers, 6 sour cream glazed.... :lol:

As for running, our breeder cautioned us against allowing the dog to run while we cyle or do any big jumps until he was over 6 months old because she said it was detrimental to his proper joint growth. But I can tell you 6 months after that we were letting him run like crazy with a check cord in the conservation area behind the house. No other way to expend some of that crazy GSP energy!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!