Wormers

mudhunter

Wormers

Post by mudhunter » Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 am

Their is alot of discustion of heartworm and flea and tick Prevention but what about internal parasites? What de-wormers do people find effective and how often do you deworm the dogs. Thanks.

Will

Re: Wormers

Post by Will » Tue May 05, 2009 5:23 am

I use Safeguard in the appropriate dose for weight every 6 months.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:06 am

I use Ivomec for heartworm and it takes care of most of the other bothersome worms.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 am

I use Panacur.

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Wed May 06, 2009 3:45 pm

I think I just bought D-worm.

For heart worms I use interceptor.
Last edited by megschristina on Mon May 25, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 am

Use Ivomec monthly for heart and other round worms, and D-worm if tapes show up. Used to use Safeguard for tapes, but understand it just kills one type, while D-worm covers both possibilities and is cheap enough.

If you're interested enough to wade through it, there's a ton-and-a-half of good parasite treatment info from a couple vets on this sled dog board forum link: http://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/top ... hichpage=4
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu May 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks, using Ivmotec at .1ml per ten pounds body weight, will that be enough to kill all but the tape worms. That's what I use for the heart worms but I thought I remember hearing that you needed to use a higher dose to kill internal parasites. Thanks, I have my health prevention schedule down pretty good for the dogs but want to make sure I got the internal parasites covered.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri May 08, 2009 5:15 am

I AM NOT A VETERINARIAN. But, as I understand it, the dose you're currently using should get everything but the tapes. Know it is the same as my dogs get, and they have had no show of anything but occasional tapes in the several years we've used it. (The heatworm prevention-only dosage in meds like Heartgard is much lower.)

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Sun May 10, 2009 7:42 pm

I use off-brand ivomermectin horse paste. I Think it's called Agri-Max. 1.87% Ivermectin
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 pm

i use safe gaurd it takes care of most of your internal paristes. and its one of a few that treat tape worm most of your over the counter d wormers dont and i found it to be easier on the dogs system than happy jack
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat May 16, 2009 6:52 pm

birddogsunlimited wrote:i use safe gaurd it takes care of most of your internal paristes. and its one of a few that treat tape worm most of your over the counter d wormers dont and i found it to be easier on the dogs system than happy jack
If you read what I've linked above, you'll see that Safegard's active ingredient only kills one of the two common tapes. D-worm's will get them both.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Wed May 20, 2009 12:03 pm

i was refering to wormers in genral not the specific d worm brand or product. i may even look into switching to d worm next time because i didnt realise there were 2 types of tape worm untill i read this.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

GGs

Post by GGs » Wed May 20, 2009 2:48 pm

I use Ivermectin monthly to prevent heartworms. I deworm with Safeguard every other month. Used to do it every 6 months, but do it more frequently ever since our run in with Giardia.