GSP Bloat prevention question

GSP 4 me

GSP Bloat prevention question

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 pm

I make certain to watch the clock when feeding my GSP by typically waiting a minimum of two hours before or after exercising him to reduce the risk of bloat.

However, now I'm concerned he could be at risk for bloat because I heard excessive drinking could also trigger this condition. I like to give him a good solid hour of running (fetching a ball is his favorite activity aside from hunting birds), but he has quite a thirst. I bring along a gallon jug of water and let him drink from it as I pour. If I bring along a container to catch the water, then he will drink rapidly by gulping the water down while his whole muzzle is under water (you GSP guys will most likely know this submarine technique).

My dilemma is that I want to make sure he stays hydrated...(especially on hot days), but also prevent the possiblity of bloat. On warm to hot days I even make sure to wet him down with water to help keep him cool.

Am I better off pouring the water from the jug and letting it free fall while he drinks? This also gives me the ability to monitor how often and how much he drinks rather than letting him run up to a container of water and drinking rapidly while he's excited.

What do you suggest?

Hotpepper

Re: GSP Bloat prevention question

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 pm

I feel it is always more natural to have the dog lap it up rather than pour. I know pro's who carry a collapsible bowl for them to drink from. As they are lapping, it also moistens the nasal.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Will

Post by Will » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:05 pm

I think that small, frequent drinks when it's hot out are essential. I would always pour it into a bowl and let him lap it up.

I've never heard that free choice water after a workout can cause bloat and I've never had a problem with it. Again, I think it's essential and part of what they need to cool themselves down.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:02 pm

I think excessive water consumption is only a problem when combined with excessive food consumption.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I also agree that the excessive water intake would not be good if you just fed the dog, especilly if it is 100% dry food. After just exercise it shouldn't cause bloat. If anyone knows different please feel free to comment.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 pm

The only problem I could see is a dog having water poured into their mouth via bottle or bota (what I use) is they take in a lot of air with the water. This clearly "bloats" a belly and could contribute to the more serious problem of stomach bloat/twist (I think the vets call it torsion/volvulus).
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 am

Small frequent drinks are better than large intake. I know of a couple of Weims who have bloated and their owners said it was "water torsion".
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:11 pm

It really doesn't matter what is in the stomach. Its just the fact that something with some weight is in there and as the dog runs or turns it is apt to actually flip over and strangulate. Thats why they call it torsion. Its like having something heavy suspended by two strings on each end and it flips over. Not a good situation.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:It really doesn't matter what is in the stomach. Its just the fact that something with some weight is in there and as the dog runs or turns it is apt to actually flip over and strangulate. Thats why they call it torsion. Its like having something heavy suspended by two strings on each end and it flips over. Not a good situation.

Ezzy
It can also happen with absolutely nothing in the stomach. The dog intakes a lot of air, bloats, and then torses. Torsion can happen ANY time a dog bloats if the bloat is not caught early on. It is extremely important to recognize the signs of bloat.

I had a Whippet that bloated one morning. He had an empty stomach. Thank goodness I recognized the signs and was able to get him to the vet and have him tubed.

A good thing to keep on hand is GasX or Phazyme. It can buy you time to get a bloating dog to the vet. I learned this from the Whippet breeders.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 am

The only 2 I have seen have just happened with dog in the kennel. They had eaten, but one had a small a.m. bite. Other a regular p.m. feeding, which I do not overfeed... Who knows.
brenda

gdog

Post by gdog » Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 am

There's no definite list of factors that cause bloat 100% of the time. Studies have been unable to replicate gastric/stomach torsion on a regular basis. It's a bad deal. Most common suggestion as stated is giving enough time between feeding and activity and even then there's no guarantee. In some cases in dogs the are know to bloat, they recommend tacking the stomach to the rib wall to help keep it from twisting. Lots of opinions and theories, but not many guarantee's. The list of what can cause bloat is long as your arm and in some cases contradict each other. Just make sure you know how to tell if your dog has bloated and get to vet asap.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 am

I'm also looking for clarification on this subject, because of the conflicting information I'm getting from various sources.

Examples:
- Don't feed your dog at all BEFORE exercise (esp field trials), and wait 2 hours AFTER before feeding h/h. (As much water as required.)
- MINIMAL feed int he AM if the exercise is several hours away (e.g. afternoon), and wait an hour AFTER to give more food. (As much water as required.)

While I know how dangerous bloat is, I don't understand how not feeding a dog AT ALL for several hours after they have expended all that energy can be healthy for them. Athletes need to refuel or they will bonk.
A good thing to keep on hand is GasX or Phazyme. It can buy you time to get a bloating dog to the vet. I learned this from the Whippet breeders.
This is interesting. Any stories about effectiveness?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri May 29, 2009 3:13 pm

This is interesting. Any stories about effectiveness?
I know of several vets who recommend it and also several people who have used it and it has bought time for the dog to get treatment. After my whippet bloated I gave him GasX any time he would get gassy and it really helped him a lot.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

gdog

Post by gdog » Fri May 29, 2009 3:26 pm

The guess is knowing when the dog is bloated and prior to its gut twisting. Even if I had that stuff on hand...not sure it would have done any good since when we finally recognized the symptoms, it was probably too late.

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 am

My normal vet said it is a freak accident or it is linked to genetics. If the parents had bloat the chance is greater for the off spring to bloat.

My guy jumped off of the couch, and had a strange look on his face. Within 30 min he was throwing up what he could, and looked like he was obstructed. I thought maybe he got into something and took him in the morning to the vet. I was unaware of bloat so I didn’t know. They called me and rushed him in and he recovered fine.

Since then I have noticed numerous owners going in and doing a preventative surgery. They tack the stomach in place to prevent the torsion part of bloat. Although a dog could still get gassy, they won’t flip their stomach. According to our vet they mostly do this with Grey Hounds, Setters, pointers, shorthairs and any other deep chested dogs. They said that your chances increase because the stomach is already on an angle. Also, because of the angle the ligaments get stretched and weakened from what I was told. If this is true or not who knows, but it makes sense.

All I know is I got lucky and came home with my dog 2 days later.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 am

Wow... I'm reading these horror stories and getting more freaked out by the minute! :(

Can someone please describe the signs of bloat so we can be aware of them & know what to look for in our GSP?

Thanks,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:16 am

Jbogacki,

Since your dog has already bloated he is at a much greater risk of bloating again. If you didn't have his stomach tacked (gastroplexy) when he bloated the first time I would suggest that you have him tacked. Most likely he was already starting to bloat before he jumped off of the couch. He probably didn't torse since he wasn't taken to the vet until the next day? Torsion is a life and death situation and must be attended to ASAP. When the stomach torses it cuts off the blood supply and the section that is flipped starts to develop necrosis very quickly.

If a parent, grandparent, littermate, of a close relative has bloated then your dog is at a higher risk of bloating. I've looked at Weimaraner pedigrees and can trace bloat through a pedigree in some dogs. If a dog is one that stresses out very easily and is genetically predisposed it is at higher risk of bloat as stress can increase risk.

Some signs are- The dog seems uncomfortable. The dog tries to repeatedly vomit and is unable to. The dog tries to defecate repeatedly and is unable to. The dogs abdomen becomes distended and is tight like a drum. One or more of these symptoms may be present.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Same signs as listed above but also you do not hear the stomach make a sound. Put your ear on their chest today and you can hear the stomach making noises as it does its thing. If the twist their stomach all the noise stops. They are close to the same signs of your pet being obstructed for the most part.