Setter Coats

KY Grouse Hunter

Setter Coats

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 am

Its getting that time of year where the mecury will soon start to rise into those upper digits and some start breaking out the clippers for that "summer cut" on their long-haried friends. I don't usually clip mine but this year I am thinking about doing it because basically I don't think it could hurt. Does anyone else trim em' up and if so how do you go about doing it and with what type clippers? Pictures and videos are welcomed.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

rockllews

Re: Setter Coats

Post by rockllews » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 pm

We only clip one of our dogs. He's got a longer coat and softer/thicker than the others and it's just more comfortable for him without all of it in 100+ degree summers. I usually clip him May or June, since that's still long enough time for it to grow back by winter. I just use old Oster clippers I think and they work OK; I just have to make sure I have plenty of oil in it and it doesn't get too hot. I've wanted to get the Moser Arco clipper though for awhile- it's not expensive ($120 bucks or so) but it looks like a good tool- cordless, quiet, fast.

We clip under the ears along his neck line, back of the neck, the back and sides of the main body, down the outsides of his upper front and hind legs, and a little of the tail. While we're at it, he clean up his paws and the lower legs. Feathers on legs, belly, and tail, we usually leave for summer clipping; sometimes the neck feathers will be taken off though (depends on my skill level that day). I sometimes clip the feathers off the flap of the ear, too. It's my best attempt at a "show dog" cut but I'm sure I make mistakes :D For this guy, we often take off his leg, neck, belly, and even part of his tail feathers for hunting because of the burrs they love to attract. Be careful of clipping setters too short on the back because they can sunburn I believe.

On edit: I forgot- you are supposed to clip with/in the direction of the growth of the coat, not against it.

Here's a pic of him after a summer clip:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:50 pm

I clip all of mine. We're getting into 60 degree weather, but there's still cold coming, and snow. So I buzzed them with a 7F blade over the body, blending into the belly. I shorten and thin the feathering on legs and tail. I use a 10 blade on their heads, throats to the brisket bone, and the upper third of the ears.
Later this month I'll use the 10 blade all over, but I always leave a nice flag and some furnishings on the legs.
Even in the winter, I keep them cleaned up about the head and throat. Makes them more sleek and elegant looking, rather than curly-headed and chuffy.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 pm

sounds good... How bout some pics?
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am

I hack my dog's coats up with the scissors , so the mud doesn't cling so heavily - they live in the house. Not pretty but doesn't affect their hunting ability. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 am

On the heavy coated Britts a 7 blade cleans them up nice, a 10 blade slicks them off for when they need to work hard in hot temps.

redruff

Post by redruff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 pm

I shave my Gordon right down to basically nothing for the summer.
He's black and gets hot!

My philosophy..it grows back.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 pm

vet told me not to cut my britts since they are outside dogs. says their skin doesn't do well with the direct sunlight, though she may have just been talking about shaving them down. she suggested a good undercoat brushing and just cleaning up a little.

redruff

Post by redruff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Don't know about britts but I've been doing it do my gordon for 7 years with no ill effects....other than being called a poodle.