Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice

remmy

Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice

Post by remmy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:50 am

Well, I was sick of waiting for the original to come back and sick of paying $43 a bag for the Performance so I fugured I would try the shredded. Well, after a week I have yet to see a difference. My dog loves it and since I mixed it with performance until strictly on the shredded he has not had any loose stools. So basically, no difference.

The major complaint I heard was loose stools. Like any other switch you need to gradually mix and change over to the new food. Maybe some people just switched all at once causing the loose stools? I know when I switch from original to performance or vice versa I just switch all at once and not gradually....it never affected my dogs. Perhaps this feed needs to be gradually changed over to?

It's only been a week so we'll see if anything changes...hopefully not.

So far no complaints.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Benny

Re: Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice

Post by Benny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Remmy,
I made the switch as well and Emma absolutely loved the stuff. However, she just could not keep pounds on. Granted I've considered the variables at the time being--which was largely that it was hunting season, so duh! Even after slowing down, we still saw weight loss.
We've since tired switching to Performance to get weight on, but then there was a "snobbery" issue; so now I'm embarrassed to say (and I know Ezzy is embarrassed for me) that we feed her both, mixed 50-50.
My main concern with 100% blended formula is that the total mass of the food itself is fairly light. I don't know the Dog Food term for it, but in forestry I would liken it to PMC or Percent Moisture Content in wood. Softwoods/conifers are heavy "bleep"'s ya know? That food just doesn't seem be hearty enough on its own without feeding 6 cups a day.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:10 pm

And if it is light(less dense) then 6 cups may be the same amount of feed as 3 cups of a dense type.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 pm

I have one qualm with the chicken and rice shredded. I found it to be horrible! We always fed our boxers Purina's adult chicken and rice. We had to double their food intake and they were still losing weight on the shredded crap, although they loved it and ate it like candy. So we switched and put them on the performance just as our GSP's. The boxers are a very low energy needing dog and the Shredded blend wasn't sustaining them. I'd watch your dogs for weight closely.

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:13 pm

I too tried the Shredded. My Draht had loose stools (bad) and lost weight. Her coat did not look good at all either. I am back with Eukanuba and getting the dog back where she needs to be. I've lost some confidence with Purina.