Ruptured Cruciate Ligament

scswitchback

Ruptured Cruciate Ligament

Post by scswitchback » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have a 5 yearold female chocolate lab. She came up with a bad limp in her back left leg. After the vet examined and x-rayed her, I've been told she's ruptured her Cruciate Ligament. Do any of y'all have any experience with this. I'm wondering how long she'd be out of service after the surgery, and just how effective the surgery is? Also, what are the consequences of not doing surgery? I've never had anything like this happen, so I'm lost and looking for some advice and/or experiences. Thanks in advance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Ruptured Cruciate Ligament

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Petra

Post by Petra » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 am

sorry to hear about your dog, markerdown just went trough another ,lukesguide and I have gone throughit with our dogs, my post ACL is probably a few pages back there is alot of info there. if you would like to talk with me, PM me and I will give you me number. GOOD LUCK

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:40 am

I hate to see another post like this. My GSP had her TPLO surgery on 4 Feb, stitches removed on 16 Feb and is now in her confinement recovery for the next 6 weeks, then rehab. Search back a page ot two and you'll find my post, or search ACL injuries to find more posts on this subject. This was #4 knee for me and mine (2 dogs). Yes with surgery, they do recover from this, yes you would want to get it fixed.

Just think about how you will feel with a blown out knee that never got repaired. Quality of life would really suck, arthritis and pain would be your constant companion. You have choices, TPLO or TTA have the best recovery , 99.9 % back to normal.

Plus you have other choices: do nothing and have a lame dog that won't be able to hunt, put your best buddy down and get a new pup, or elect surgery. It's not cheap, so you have to weigh and decide whats best for you. I hate to be so blunt, but that's what the reality is.

.............................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 am

Great video to show everyone what actually happens. Awesome documentation.