No More Exceed

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

No More Exceed

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I've been feeding Exceed for several years and have had great success with it.

This week, I went to Sam's to get another bag and found that Sam's appears to have dropped Exceed and went with a different supplier with a different look and a different formula. The equivalent to what I was feeding has corn as the first ingredient. I'm not a corn basher, but I do want to see meat as the first ingredient as a quick sanity check on the formula.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: No More Exceed

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:01 pm

I have not fed it for sometime now Greg, but Rick noticed the same thing here, he's looking for something else now as well.

Chip

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Greg and Chip,
There has been quite the "investigative" discussion on the cover dog site regarding this situation. Sounds like it ranges from what you are experiencing to no, they are keeping it on the shelves...poke around a bit http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/ ... 30069.html

Then some offered updates... http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/ ... 96619.html

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:50 pm

You know the last month i have noticed the poop has softened up quite a bit and the weight on the dogs has dropped :evil:

back to the drawing board then it is about the only reason we go to sams club

why do these companies change something that people are happy with...dummies
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 pm

I was told by a worker at my local sams club, that the only thing changing was the packaging?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:44 pm

gpblitz wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I do want to see meat as the first ingredient as a quick sanity check on the formula
Federal law does not require dog food manufactures to list there ingrediants in order like human food. So when you see meat as the first ingrediant it's not always the case. I didn't know this until I was talking to
a dog food rep 4-5 months ago.
I sure question this. The labeling lawa have always required them to be in order of amount by weight. And I sure haven't heard of any changes or any reason to change.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 pm

Sounds like they have found someone else to make their feed. This happens with a lot of feeds but they normally make the switch without effecting their supply so the customer never notices the change. Sounds like Sam's screwed up .

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
gpblitz wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I do want to see meat as the first ingredient as a quick sanity check on the formula
Federal law does not require dog food manufactures to list there ingrediants in order like human food. So when you see meat as the first ingrediant it's not always the case. I didn't know this until I was talking to
I sure question this. The labeling lawa have always required them to be in order of amount by weight. And I sure haven't heard of any changes or any reason to change.

Ezzy

Ezzy yes they list the ingredients by weight...literally the weight before processing

so when one reads real chicken ...take that and the average is 5 pounds of REAL chicken to make 1 pound of dry

it is called marketing make people feel all fuzzy and warm inside about what they are feeding their pets
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Ezzy, when they do this will the Purina "formula/taste" be the same? Just under a new name?

Word is that the company named "Doane's" will be producing it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Knine,

The weight is not before processing but rather the actual weight of the ingredient, In the case of meat it does include the moisture in the meat just like it does with every other ingredient. The difference is that meals have already been dried and much of the moisture taken out where the meat products are still a much higher percent water. So end result is that the weight of the meat is reduced a lot more than most other ingredients when that water is removed. Thats why meat meals are more nutritrious than meat. There is just more dry matter from the meals in the feed. The same is true with by-product meals and due to their source and they are even more nutrious than straight meat meal.

However, this discusion is about listing ingredients by their weight as they are included in the feeds. And I am sure the laws have not been changed.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Doanes is a company with a good reputation, at least in the past. And yes, if Sam's has not changed the fomula it will be the exact same feed. Same look and same taste.

Let me couch that a little though. It will be the same as long as they both process the feed the same and I am assuming in this case it will be. My guess is they found someone to make it a tad cheaper and have changed when their contract run out. Or Purina may not have the facilities to make it any longer now that they are making both their old and new feeds and they opted out.

Ezzy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm

The new feed that is there is definitely different. It looks nothing like the same.

I wonder if the new Exceed will look the same. Time will tell.

I've got about 20 days of Pro Plan left. I'll keep watch at Sam's. If it doesn't work as good for me, I've got a contingency plan in place. Turns out there is a Do It Best H/W about 2 miles from me. I can get Native through them with no shipping charge.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Wasn't Doanes bought by Mars?

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:18 pm

It has always been my understanding that Doane's has been making the Exceed Chicken formula and Purina has been making the Lamb formula.

I'll be heading to Sam's this weekend for more Exceed Chicken; I hope they still have a couple of bags on the shelf when I get there. :|
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Doanes is a company with a good reputation, at least in the past

Ezzy ya may wanna check that out. Doanes was responsible for a large outbreak of Aflatoxin several years back that killed many dogs in Texas, La, and Ok I know one kennel alone that lost 52 dogs from it. More dogs died from it than the Diamond case that so many still want to bash on Diamond for. Oddly there was no compensation forced as in the Diamond case.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:47 pm

I'll be heading to Sam's this weekend for more Exceed Chicken; I hope they still have a couple of bags on the shelf when I get there.
I just switched to Chicken Exceed two bags ago, so this is a bummer. :( Until I can figure out what to do though, I rushed to Sams on Friday and bought 2 more bags. They had a pallet full at that time. I probably should've bought more, but I wasn't sure what the shelf life is on a bag.......and I'm only feeding it to one dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Doanes was sold to Mars by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund. They are one of the major manufactures of store brand petfood and sell through out the world. They have been making some of Walmart's pet feeds for some time. I would wait and see if they are just switching contractors and if they are Exceed will probably be continued. They did have a recall a couple of years ago when there was a possibility that some feed manufacured in one of their plants may have been contaminated with Salmonella, Other than that I could not find anything about them that would be a concern.

Ezzy

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I've been feeding Exceed for several years and have had great success with it.

This week, I went to Sam's to get another bag and found that Sam's appears to have dropped Exceed and went with a different supplier with a different look and a different formula. The equivalent to what I was feeding has corn as the first ingredient. I'm not a corn basher, but I do want to see meat as the first ingredient as a quick sanity check on the formula.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Everyone would hope to see something meat based as a starter ingredient. To get a better idea of what's going on, would need to know what were the first two in old Exceed you fed, and what the second ingredient is after the corn (the new stuff).
I mention this because if real chicken was a #1 in old Exceed, and Chicken By-product 2nd after the corn in the new stuff, the new stuff may actually have more animal source proteins than the old Exceed. Ezzy had touched on this some when mentioned 5-lbs yields 1-lb on a dry matter basis with real chicken . Keep in mind, only a portion of that 1-lb of dry is actual chicken protein. It is very feasible, that a #2 CBPM behind corn, contains more in proteins than real chicken followed by corn. It is not always easy to tell just by the order of the ingredients what is actually going on in the feed. That's why knowing at least the 1 and 2 ingredients of each helps somewhat to a small degree in making a assessment of the two feeds.
A good bird dog is always the right color

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:19 am

well thank goodness we bought two bags of the C&R on our last trip i guess Ill have to buy just a single bag next time to check it out. Every time we find a food the dogs like someone changes it

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:36 am

When I first heard this I was a bit frustrated as well. I am just about done with my last pallet of Pro Plan (old style). I was planning to switch to Exceed. I even bought a bag to try it (seemed ok). I wish I only had to worry about bag to bag demand, but a bag only lasts me about 5-6 days. Therefore, I need to find a good solution. I know a few people feeding Native (option #2 for me), but they are have inconsistant stool.

What every happend to 41.25 pound bags of PP Chicken and Rice for $26.99 :(

It was less that one year ago that i was paying that!
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Yea I was just at Sam's on Sunday and noticed they didn't have exceed on the shelf. I saw the new stuff and it sure did look inferior to Exceed.

I have about 4-5 days left of Exceed. :twisted:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:36 am

About a month before this happened we switched to Sportmix and like it alot, more cost effective to boot. There is a 24-20 formula that dogs did great on. Around 20.00 a 50# bag. Stools are very firm, a little more of it than Exceed, but I can handle that for the savings. As long as dogs do well and look good.
brenda

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 am

I called Sams Corporate yesterday and was told my local Sams has 78 bags of Exceed being shipped to them shortly. She said they were 44# bags, so hopefully it is the same old stuff. She also mentioned a 50# bag of feed that was available also. I told her I was only interested in the 44# bag of Excceed. I think we are going to be OK. When they get the new shipment I will buy a couple of bags and compare. Hopefully it is the same feed as what we all want.

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 am

has anyone bought a new bag yet?

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Just called my local Sam's and they said they are not restocking it!

Called the HQ. Hung up on the first lady since she was an idiot. Put in a complaint with the 2nd rep. A manager is going to call me back.

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:48 pm

I found this link with a Phone number

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/fetch/778626

Here is a cut and paste of the message

"Message: I emailed Keith and received this response:

Christina, I just responded to one of the Hawaii forum breeders. Please let the folks on the forum know that we are just switching manufacturers and have experienced a little hiccup in the transition. I can't promise it will be the last one, there might be one more in about a month but then it should be over. We are keeping the same specs and formulation, the only reason we are switching is because Purina will not be producing private label foods for anyone after this year, so we had to find a new partner. I assure your forum members that the quality will be just as good if not higher with our new producer. Thanks for the note and the open communication. Keith
Keith Sharp
Buyer- Category 8 Pets
keith.sharp@samsclub.com
479-277-7527 "

Someone call Keith Sharp and see what is up. i'm at work and our phones are limited to local numbers

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 pm

I bought two bags of Exceed C&R today. There was a whole pallet of both C&R and L&R on the shelf. When I spoke with customer service regarding this discussion on the Internet, she laughed out loud until she opened a folder and saw a memo with this exact subject highlighted. It sounds like there is going to be a change of manufacturer, but Exceed is going to continue being sold at Sam's Club. :D
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

snips wrote:About a month before this happened we switched to Sportmix and like it alot, more cost effective to boot. There is a 24-20 formula that dogs did great on. Around 20.00 a 50# bag. Stools are very firm, a little more of it than Exceed, but I can handle that for the savings. As long as dogs do well and look good.

After reading about sportmix on this forum, I found a dealer just 1/2 mile from my house. I am on the 2nd 50# bag. My two GSPS love it and are doing great on it. Keeping weight on better and good firm stools. I am paying $18.50 for a 50# bag.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Well I went to Sam's after I was told on the phone that they were not reordering any more Exceed.

There were 4 full pallets that were just shipped to my local Sam's all coming from Nestle Purina. I guess they are not switching manufacturers or that was maybe their last shipment from Purina.

We'll see what happens.

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Who told you they were not ordering anymore? Local store guys or regional or what? I'm not saying that the local guys doin't know what is going on but I have worked retail before and sometimes people get the wrong info passed on to them. I might give it some creedence if it was the store director. Has anyone contacted the kieth sharp guy yet.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:50 am

Fwiw, I'm virtually certain the new Exceed contractor, Doanne, was who made the performance formula 30/20 Maxximum Nutrition for Walmart, which I fed and was well satisfied with until my local stores quit carrying it. It was the most comparable to Pro Plan's 30/20, in terms of how the dogs did on it, of several oft recommended 30/20s that we've tried, so I'd not panic over the change from Purina to Doanne.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 am

I was able to get exceed last saturday, I didnt look on the bag at who made (I should have) packaging looked the same, feed looked the same, but it did go up in price to $28 and some change per bag. Diamond natural is cheaper again and I think i might switch back.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Yea I noticed they raised the price also.

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:53 pm

I email the Keith Sharp guyand this is what he sent back.

'James, I appreciate the note and your allowing me to clarify. Exceed is not going to be deleted. Purina has chose not to produce any private label foods so production is being taken over by Doane in late April. The quality will remain the same.

Sorry for creating concerns and I appreciate everyone's loyalty to the Exceed brand.

Keith

Keith Sharp
Buyer- Category 8 Pets "

I replied and asked if he foresaw a shortage before the switch took place.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I bought three bags today in a store that didn`t have any two weeks ago. Looks and tasted the same. But it is up to .65cents/lb. Still a bargain in my book. Dogs dove in like it was steak. They missed it too.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Vman wrote:I bought three bags today in a store that didn`t have any two weeks ago. Looks and tasted the same. But it is up to .65cents/lb. Still a bargain in my book. Dogs dove in like it was steak. They missed it too.
So... you actually tasted it, huh? I just can't bring myself to do it ..... :lol:
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:27 am

Killer, yeah,, I tasted it. It is alot better than you may think. I am sure you have had worse things in your mouth! :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Uh................ sometimes I think like I am still in Jr High, hahahaa

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Well sams club the exceed here jumped to 29 bucks a bag :evil: and they pulled purina

so fill it up with more corn and raise the price

They just lost us today..bought a few bags to do a switch over ...back to the drawing board on dog food

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:09 pm

I think they just are changing suppliers next month from the report I heard. Wasn't going to be any change in the formula. Purina Nestles is not making private label feed anymore.

Ezzy

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 pm

kninebirddog wrote:they just lost us today..bought a few bags to do a switch over ...back to the drawing board on dog food
Knine, I though you were feeding Arkat?
Gary

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:52 pm

glk7243 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:they just lost us today..bought a few bags to do a switch over ...back to the drawing board on dog food
Knine, I though you were feeding Arkat?
Gary

i was up until about a year ago the dogs started to poop something fierce kennel guy was spending an extra hour + a day cleaning kennels ...they switched formula in the hunters edge and the dogs were tossing out sticky mush that was a pain to clean

Love the professional athlete but to high protein and to expensive to feed to just the kennel dogs that weren't being run any where close to the other dogs

So after talks and health checks and trying everything that arkat suggested might be wrong with a kennel full of dogs and that it was a pain to travel and try and find the food we went back to exceed

and FYI the feed extruded shape changed a few months back and the dogs have had to increase amount of intake to maintain more so then usual have a couple pointers that are sucking down over 6 cups of food and not maintaining...my britts were normally about 2 are up to 4 cups of feed and barely maintaining

and yes they are wormed etc we tried a few dogs over to hi pro and bam weight came back up and the intake of food went back down and kennel clean up back to normal

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:19 pm

I was at my local Sams Club today in So. California North LA County and saw they had the EXCEED Performance 30/20 food back. Plenty of it too by the looks of the pallets. Maybe a new bag, don't know. It was a two tone dark orange and yellow bag with a sticker that said "simular to Eukanuba Performance." Well if you know anything about Eukanuba they don't use ground corn or ground wheat so it is really more like Pro Plan Performance as most of you already know for $28 plus change for a 44# bag. . Also the pink bag of Lamb rice was $24 and change for 44#.

kumate

Post by kumate » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 pm

i have got the exceed here right along for 26 and change for 44lbs

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Look at Native, Eukanuba, or Exclusive made by PNI. All good feeds IMO..

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

gpblitz wrote:
The FDA does regulate the ingredient listing of dog foods.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Went to Sam's today. The now have both kinds of Exceed again. So, I'm back in business.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Went to Sam's today. The now have both kinds of Exceed again. So, I'm back in business.
Well, Thank God for that! Due to this thread, I had went out & bought Eukanuba Performance (30/20) - $50 freakin' bucks! :evil: ... So I'll just go trot down to Sam's & see if the "old" formula has drifted back up here to Alaska..... We're always the last one to get stuff....
:(
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

pstrman

Post by pstrman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35 am

Well was just at our Sams in Scottsdale and they have both Exceeds, to bad my pup is a pup. Hopefully they will have it when she's older.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:36 am

Just feed the Exceed 30/20 to your pup in place of puppy food. In ProPlan, that's exactly what the puppy food is. I.e., 30/20 Performance = Puppy.