Brittany w/ Chronic Indigestion & pain

TBuesch

Brittany w/ Chronic Indigestion & pain

Post by TBuesch » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:49 am

Hi all... hoping someone can enlighten....
Our Vet is stumped... we have a 4 yr old male French Brittany, who hunts dove and quail. He has been very healthy until this year. When this first started, I would have sworn this dog was hallucinating. He would just jump up and look back as if someone was after him. He would be asleep and jump and run. He would be in the back yard walking along, then jump and run a short distance and look behind him. I thought he was losing his mind.
Then, as time progressed, I realized he was constipated, stomach gurgling, and likely experiencing some sort of pain... colon, rectal..?
NOW... he has chronic indigestion, some vomiting, listless, won't eat much. Tummy just gurlges ALL the time. The vet has x-rayed, sees nothing odd. His anal glands were pretty packed, so we drained those, no improvement. He's been on "pepcid" twice daily, and antibiotics in case of an infection. No improvement. We are now to a point that we will probably do the barium & xray again (or whatever the vets do).
Just wondering if anyone has had a dog experiencing similar symptoms...??

He was eating Beneful dry, I have changed his food to a more easily digestable dry food. And that's ALL we give him. He's a sad little fella, and we are open to suggestions and/or stories if anyone has experienced anything like this....

THANKS

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittany w/ Chronic Indigestion & pain

Post by shags » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:23 am

His diet might be responsible for the digestive issues. You might ask the vet about Hill's prescription diets to help sort things out.
As for the butt thing, has the vet checked the dog's prostate?

Petra

Post by Petra » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:14 am

I take my dogs off of food for a day only water and than lean hamburger boiled, drain, with white rice, also dogs are able to take pepto bis.,and as the dog is acting better slowly introduce the dog food back. This will help calm the stomach and digestion as you sort anything else that might be going on. I hope this helps if you try it and all goes well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:08 am

If you haven't changed feed I don't know how it can be the problem. Thee has to be an internal change if it is really a digestive system problem. Going to a completely bland food like recomended may give the vet a clue. Just don't know beyond that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:26 am

have they done a giardia test, or any kind of stool culture? what antibiotic is he on?? bloodwork??
Last edited by dog dr on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 am

I would say start with the barium x-ray and go from there. He may have to be scoped to check for other diseases.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 am

TBuesch wrote:Hi all... hoping someone can enlighten....
Our Vet is stumped... we have a 4 yr old male French Brittany, who hunts dove and quail. He has been very healthy until this year. When this first started, I would have sworn this dog was hallucinating. He would just jump up and look back as if someone was after him. He would be asleep and jump and run. He would be in the back yard walking along, then jump and run a short distance and look behind him. I thought he was losing his mind.
Then, as time progressed, I realized he was constipated, stomach gurgling, and likely experiencing some sort of pain... colon, rectal..?
NOW... he has chronic indigestion, some vomiting, listless, won't eat much. Tummy just gurlges ALL the time. The vet has x-rayed, sees nothing odd. His anal glands were pretty packed, so we drained those, no improvement. He's been on "pepcid" twice daily, and antibiotics in case of an infection. No improvement. We are now to a point that we will probably do the barium & xray again (or whatever the vets do).
Just wondering if anyone has had a dog experiencing similar symptoms...??

He was eating Beneful dry, I have changed his food to a more easily digestable dry food. And that's ALL we give him. He's a sad little fella, and we are open to suggestions and/or stories if anyone has experienced anything like this....

THANKS
Your vet needs to understand the digestive system a bit better. If the dog is not digesting properly, you need to improve the digestion. You don't cut back on the dog's acidity which is needed for digestion. You give the dog digestive enzymes and probiotics. Pretty simple. That's assuming there's not a missed diagnosis.
big steve

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 pm

how bout an update?