SPORTMIX

Sonny Hawkins

SPORTMIX

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am

Any pros or cons on this brand of dog food?-----Sonny

sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

KY Grouse Hunter

Re: SPORTMIX

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Finally! Someone with a question about the food that I feed. I have never talked on this forum about Sportmix that I can remember. I feed it currently and have fed it for a long time. I think it is an underrated feed and I have had nothing but good things to say about it. It seems to be a good hearty food that provides all the energy performing dogs need, it has always been great for my dogs coats, and the dogs produce nice tight stools that make it 100 times easier to clean out the kennels. Currently I feed the black bag which is the Energy Plus Adult Mini-Chunk. Its a 24-20 percent protein to fat ratio and contains all the good stuff like Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and all sorts of vitamins. My opinion... good stuff.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks, Grouse Hunter, I am feeding the blue bag now 26/18 and it seems to be working very well. And I also like the price 19.49 #50. Thanks--------Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:16 pm

What do you pay for 20-24?
brenda

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:29 pm

$20!!!!!!!!! It is wonderful! I don't say much about it because I know the majority of people live and die by Pro-Plan and Eukanuba feedsand are strong opinionated about it, but I must say, this is some fine fine stuff for the price. I am not saying that the Pro-Plans and Eukanubas are rip offs and not good feeds because that would be stupid, I am just saying this is a good quality feed for a wonderful, reasonable price.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:22 am

Brenda, The Blue bag is 26-18 mini chunk------The Black bag is 24-20 mini chunk---PM sent---Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 pm

snips wrote:What do you pay for 20-24?
I pay 18.50 for the 24/20 formula... Same company that makes Pro Pac makes Sportsmix. I had to cut the amount that I was feeding, some dogs were gaining to much weight, that is real unusual during the winter months..

Brenda tell Rick I enjoyed reading his tribute of Fritz in the new PDJ magazine.

Mo

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks Maurice, we did not know if it was in there, still waiting on ours :roll:
brenda

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Many years ago I used the SportMix Lamb/Rice formula as it also has Chicken meal as the 3rd ingredient. No wheat or corn in that formula. Higher calorie than most adult foods. May not be for the super high energy working dog needs but it was great for the adult rescues I was feeding. Great price in those days too. I think the Sport Mix line is much like Diamond.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Hey guys (and gals :D ),
Sounds very interesting!
Where do you buy it?
dennmor

Never mind! I did a search on it and can get it from three places with in 12 miles. :P
I feed Pro-plan but will definitely give it a try.
What perked up my ears was the "tight stools" part. I've tried a few other brands with poor results in that department. :roll:
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 am

Hey Grouse Hunter, Have you ever fed the Blue bag--26-18? If so, how does it compare to the Black bag 24-20?--------Sonny :lol:
SON/STARR KENNELS

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:54 pm

I have feed the blue bag many times. Here the last few years, during the hunting and training months I will feed the black bag because of the more fat content and in the offseason I feed the blue bag just because the dogs arent as active and aren't out burning all that energy. There is no transition between the foods meaning that dogs stomachs do not have to go through an adjustment period with loose stools. The blue bag is just as good a feed as the black bag, good stools and good on the dogs coat.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:24 pm

I am trying a bag of the 24/20. The dog has been on it straight about a week. Did anyone that feeds Sportmix have issues with loose stools and bad gas during he switch? If so, how long did it take the dog's system to get used to the new food? He is eating the food well and is actually putting on weight (that is what I was after) but just not good cleanup results. I am feeding him 3.5 cups a day, 1 in morning, 2.5 in evening.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:46 pm

gmanksu wrote:I am trying a bag of the 24/20. The dog has been on it straight about a week. Did anyone that feeds Sportmix have issues with loose stools and bad gas during he switch? If so, how long did it take the dog's system to get used to the new food? He is eating the food well and is actually putting on weight (that is what I was after) but just not good cleanup results. I am feeding him 3.5 cups a day, 1 in morning, 2.5 in evening.
I'm trying the blue bag (26/18) on my Large Munsterlander. He doesn't seem to like it much but his stools have been good and I did notice a little gas the first few days but nothing since. I tried the Diamond food but his stools got real loose and I went back to Pro-Plan.
When I say he doesn't like it much I mean he ate it as long as it was mixed in with the Pro=Plan, but as soon as I started feeding him the Sportmix straight, he started leaving food in his bowl. I think he's "acquiring" a taste for it, as he seems to be starting to eat it as it's being put in front of him.
His coat has been excellent on the Pro-Plan so I'll keep my eye on it as he eats the Sportmix.
I'll let you know,
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 pm

gmanksu wrote:I am trying a bag of the 24/20. The dog has been on it straight about a week. Did anyone that feeds Sportmix have issues with loose stools and bad gas during he switch? If so, how long did it take the dog's system to get used to the new food? He is eating the food well and is actually putting on weight (that is what I was after) but just not good cleanup results. I am feeding him 3.5 cups a day, 1 in morning, 2.5 in evening.
Cut him back to a couple of cups for a day or two and then try to increase it slowly to about three and see if that doesn't work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 pm

thanks, I will cut him back and increase gradually to see what happens

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:49 am

I'm buying this after I am done with Diamond Naturals C&R. The DN doesn't have any wheat or corn and I can tell it affects his performance. Dog did better on Black Gold so I am making the switch to Sportmix, which is very comparable to Black Gold (ingredient-wise). Found out that Sportmix is carried only 8 miles away from my house. Going with the Hi-Energy 26-18 mini chunk mix.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:59 am

I have been using Sportmix for close to a year now. I am using the 24/20 formula. My dogs are doing great on it and seem to love it. They look good and cleanup is easy. I had to cut down on the amount I was feeding because they started gaining weight. I began using it because it is available about a half mile from home and I am paying $18.50 per 50# bag. It is as good if not better than anything I have fed.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Good review birddogger! Yeah the price is unbeatable for 50#s!!! Picking some up tonight!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 pm

I like the black bag better than the blue bag.
brenda

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:52 am

Thats the black bag:)
brenda

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm

More fat than protein? What about for dogs that don't hunt much like mine?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

just feed him less, less to pick up

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:18 pm

djswizz wrote:More fat than protein? What about for dogs that don't hunt much like mine?
I don't think they have any that are higher in fat than protein. If you aren't working your dog much I would go with one of the lower protein/fat levels because it is easier to keep the dog in condition. Just isn't right to try and feed a highly concentrated feed to a dog that isn't using it.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 pm

I should rephrase my statement. I don't hunt him every day or weekend. He is VERY active in terms of other conditioning, but hunts maybe every other week. Goes to ND for a week, etc. He's very active with me by jogging for 3-4 miles, he sprints/plays with our neighbor dog for and hour, pulls me for 3 miles on rollerblades, etc., but just doesn't hunt as much as I'd like. Ohio sucks in terms of birds.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:35 pm

If the dog jogs and works like that on a regular basis, he is going to burn lots of calories and will burn fat far more efficiently than carbs. This is not an opinion but fact. Fat for a dog in that condition and one that is that active is very important.

In fact carbs work against you.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:57 pm

djswizz wrote:I should rephrase my statement. I don't hunt him every day or weekend. He is VERY active in terms of other conditioning, but hunts maybe every other week. Goes to ND for a week, etc. He's very active with me by jogging for 3-4 miles, he sprints/plays with our neighbor dog for and hour, pulls me for 3 miles on rollerblades, etc., but just doesn't hunt as much as I'd like. Ohio sucks in terms of birds.
Like Brenda, I like the black bag better [24/20] I keep my dogs active all year, but they work hard during the season. I started out with the blue bag [26/18] only because the feed store didn't carry the black bag. I asked them if they would order it. They did and it is selling like hotcakes. My dogs are keeping weight on and looking better on the black bag. It sounds like your dogs are plenty active enough to use the black bag. I just feed less during less active times and more during the very active periods, or that's the way it works out. I pretty much just keep an eye on my dogs and adjust the feed to the needs. I think you will like it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Just for comparison I looked up the specs on sportsmix and compared them to Diamond Extreme athlete, which is what I have been feeding. Though EA is 32/25 and the black bag of sports mix is 24/20. Sportmix has 552 cals per cup and EA only 470 cals per cup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 pm

ACooper wrote:Just for comparison I looked up the specs on sportsmix and compared them to Diamond Extreme athlete, which is what I have been feeding. Though EA is 32/25 and the black bag of sports mix is 24/20. Sportmix has 552 cals per cup and EA only 470 cals per cup.
That doesn't mean a thing unless you compare the form and density of the two feeds. You have to compare by weight and not volume if you want to know which has the most calories. an expanded crunchy feed will always have less calories per cup than a hard pellet or even a meal. But it will be more palatible and that is the reason we have expanded feeds.

Take the exact same feed and pellet part of it and expand the other half and the expanded half will need a bigger bag but will have the same calories in that bag as the pelleted feed has. But since there is more air in the expanded it takes a bigger bag and there are more cups.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:41 pm

ah good point and something I didnt think about.

Diamond EA
Protein: 32% Fat: 25%
Calories: 4,710 kcal/kg (470 kcal/cup) Calculated ME

SportMix
Kilocalories per cup: 552 | Kilocalories per Kg: 4,268

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:12 am

I am feeding it now too. Best value. I like the blue bag better than the black bag. Being contrary I guess. :oops: I also like propac and is how I came to try sportmix, but like them equally and sportmix is much cheaper. I don't really like the mini chunks as they spill and the dogs swallow all whole, but it is all I can get and if that is my only complaint then I am happy enough! The dog food workd is killing me with all the switches and formula changes.

I also feed Taste of the wild to some of mine and LOVE it, but am going to have to sell a kidney soon to keep affording it...

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:30 am

All good replies. Good info ezzy on the kcal info. That makes sense with the volume of the food, air, etc. The same logic can apply to human food as well, so good info. I'll try out the black bag (24/20) as you all have said. It's still cheaper than Diamond Naturals C&R by almost $9 where I live. Tractor Supply keeps raising their prices - thus the reason for the inquiries of new food.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:54 am

When we tried the blue bag we saw some loss of weight within the first week, just keep an eye on it, esp with colder weather coming...
brenda

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:46 am

I picked some up Friday and didn't realize that the "mini-chunk" was indeed REALLY mini. They are smaller than rabbit turds. But, at least they're not puffing up the food like the others I've used. So far, good results. Still in the transition period of switching, but yesterday I did half and half (old and new) of the stuff and noticed his energy levels were increased already. We hiked all day, and then we got home, he played for 45 min. with the other dogs, sprinting, etc. Might be the weather changing, but he wouldn't have done that on Diamond Nat. C&R.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:41 pm

I own 3 dogs of different ages. I switched from Daimond Hi-Energy to the Sportmix (Blue bag and then switched to the black bag) and have noticed that the older dogs seem to like it while the youngest dog does not. I do hunt a lot and have noticed also they they all seem to be loosing weight. Is the weight loss something that will level off when the season is closed and they are losing weight due to the exrta excersice? I have increased the amount of feed but again, my youngest doesn't like it and does not clean up.

When I was feeding the Diamond they seemed to hold their weight better. I have only used the Sportmix for a couple of weeks so I am not familiar with the long term use effects.

Does anyone have an opinion or suggestions?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:05 am

If your dogs are that active. adding fat or switching to a food with more or better quality fat should certainly help. It would be best to add foods high in fat (so you get protein as well) rather than just vegetable based oils which are the easiest. As much as I think olive oil is a great addition, cheap fatty pieces of beef, pork, lamb, fish, raw egg yolks etc are much better overall. It all depends on how much work you wanna do and how much you want to spend, but switching around different dry foods is not going to get you what you want unless you go for more coin per lb or just feed more which defeats the purpose of buying a value feed.

There is just a natural limit to most dry feeds that some people go beyond activity-wise. Its just not practical or healthy to feed a mid-sized dog 5 or 6 cups of kibble per day.

I feed a dry granular that is shockingly high per lb but a 48lb box never seems to end, and I have a big dog.

JMO

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:12 am

Mine has lost a bit of weight as well, but I don't hunt him much. Maybe 5-6 times a fall and one big week in October. I like it because it keeps him trim. BUT, and a big but, he has alot more energy! His stool is super small and he devours it when its in his bowl! He loves the stuff, more than any other food (besides Black Gold, which is VERY similar to this feed).

He has leveled off, but I only feed him 2.5 cups of the stuff. It's higher in kcals compared to Diamond, but more absorbent it seems (based on stool). Give it a month and then judge. Two weeks, in my opin, they are still adjusting internally.

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 pm

How many raw eggs would you suggest ? We have lots of extra duck eggs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Two is good, but just the yolks. I just froze 48 yolks because my wife got into the angel food cake groove again. There is nothing wrong with freezing all the yolks you have.

Do you have a constant supply of ducks eggs?

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:56 pm

9 months of the year at least ;wife has 6 ducks we have plenty. Are the whites not healthy ?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Well they are fine cooked but not raw, although whether the raw white really binds biotin in a meaningful way is unclear. Some people lightly fry the egg sunny-side up, others feed the whole egg raw.

I just give the yolk as half the total protein and nearly 100% of the fat is in the yolk.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 am

Don't waste the egg. Hard boil them, let them cool, and then feed the WHOLE egg to the dog. Yolks contain more than half of the protein and vitamins. The whites are good too, but not nearly as good as a yolk. What do you think a baby chick lives off? Yep, the yolk.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:00 am

Hard-boiled eggs are a great idea too and this time of year you can bring them along with you without worrying about refrigeration. If my boys finish off the sardines during the week hard-boiled eggs are just the ticket.

You are lucky to have super fresh duck eggs as they are considerably richer than chicken eggs. Very expensive at the local farmers markets in NJ.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 am

mcbosco wrote:You are lucky to have super fresh duck eggs as they are considerably richer than chicken eggs. Very expensive at the local farmers markets in NJ.
Where did this come from? Do you know why they are more expensive?

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 am

Why did you get involved in the discussion? I don't see any added value in your post.

Tell us all why ducks eggs are more expensive.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 am

mcbosco wrote:Why did you get involved in the discussion? I don't see any added value in your post.
+1

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 am

DUH! I would assume duck eggs are more expensive due to their size and the law of supply and demand! :roll:
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:04 am

big steve46 wrote:DUH! I would assume duck eggs are more expensive due to their size and the law of supply and demand! :roll:
Couldn't say it better.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:10 am

mcbosco wrote:Why did you get involved in the discussion? I don't see any added value in your post.

Tell us all why ducks eggs are more expensive.
Seems appropriate to have some confirmation of the facts you are stating so we all can learn the truth and not be influenced if it is just an opinion with nothing to confirm it is true. See Steve's post as to the cost of a duck egg.

Hope this adds value.

Ezzy

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 am

Seems appropriate to have some confirmation of the facts you are stating so we all can learn the truth and not be influenced if it is just an opinion with nothing to confirm it is true
Ezzy- I don't agree with everything Mbosco says but I'll have to agree that it looks like your just poking to create an argument. He was having a back and forth discussion with the original poster. He simply stated duck eggs were higher in New Jersey. Why in the sam heck should he have to come up with an explanation as to why they cost more? As far as being "richer" ...which i assume he means higher in fat/calories he's right about that as well. JMO
Chicken egg - fresh, medium (raw)

Amount - 1 egg (50g) Glycemic Index - 0
Calories: 72 Carbohydrate: 0.39g Protein: 6.29g Fat: 4.97g

Vitamin A - 244IU Calcium - 26mg
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) - 0.04mg Iron - 0.92mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) - 0.24mg Magnesium - 6mg
Vitamin (B3 Niacin) - 0.04mg Phosphorus - 96mg
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) - 0.72mg Potassium - 67mg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) - 0.07mg Sodium - 70mg
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) - 0.65mcg Zinc - 0.56mg
Folate - 24mcg Copper - 0.05mg
Vitamin C - 0mg Manganese - 0.02mg