Ivomec plus?

birdogg42

Ivomec plus?

Post by birdogg42 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:56 pm

What ingredient in ivomec plus is dangerous to dogs???? I tried to look back at the older post and i couldnt find it.
Thanks Mike

gmanksu

Re: Ivomec plus?

Post by gmanksu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:29 pm

10% w/v clorsulon

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks gman.

remmy

Post by remmy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:48 pm

I just heard about Ivomec Plus but didn't know it was harmful to dogs. Can someone give me more information about it? I was thinking about using it for my dogs since interceptor and Sentinel are becoming very expensive.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 pm

remmy wrote:I just heard about Ivomec Plus but didn't know it was harmful to dogs. Can someone give me more information about it? I was thinking about using it for my dogs since interceptor and Sentinel are becoming very expensive.
you can use just plain old straight ivomec.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:14 pm

gmanksu wrote:10% w/v clorsulon

What does the w/v mean?

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Get the ivermectin 1% sterile solution. For cattle and swine. . Be sure to check the expiration date because a bottle should last you a couple of years. Find an 1 ml insuline syringe and an 18 or 20 gauge needle. Draw .1 ml per 10 lbs of dog weight ( .6 ml for a 60 lb dog ), remove the needle, and squirt the ivomec in the back of the dogs mouth. They hate the taste, but dogs can't spit. This dose will work for heartworms and roundworms if given every 30 days. Because a dose of Ivomec is so inexpensive, most dog owners give it to their dogs year around. I have never heard of an .8 ml max, but all of my dogs are under 70 pounds, so it has never been an issue. I also use this on my pigeons 3 drops every six months.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 am

A lot of people also use regular ivermectic at .1 per every 20 lbs. At that, it's still several times as much as what is used montly just for heartworms.

I used to use the liquid. It was cheap, but it's a hassle and I didn't like having half a bottle left when it expired.

So, (thank you Ross!) I have started using the horse paste. I give them a half-click. Squeeze it out on my finger and wipe it in the dog's tongue. No fuss, no muss. Regular price at my Tractor Supply is $3.00 per tube. I watch it and can catch it on sale for $2.00. I have to pay sales tax, but there is no shipping. Very easy, very cost effective.

Just a quick reminder to everyone: no Ivermectin for dogs with collie/sheltie blood. They have a genetic abnormality that makes Ivermectin toxic to them.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 am

Greg Jennings wrote:A lot of people also use it at .1 per every 20 lbs. At that, it's still several times as much as what is used montly just for heartworms.

I used to use the liquid. It was cheap, but it's a hassle and I didn't like having half a bottle left when it expired.

So, (thank you Ross!) I have started using the horse paste. I give them a half-click. Squeeze it out on my finger and wipe it in the dog's tongue. No fuss, no muss. Regular price at my Tractor Supply is $3.00 per tube. I watch it and can catch it on sale for $2.00. I have to pay sales tax, but there is no shipping. Very easy, very cost effective.

Just a quick reminder to everyone: no Ivermectin for dogs with collie/sheltie blood. They have a genetic abnormality that makes Ivermectin toxic to them.
Can you post a picture of that horse paste so we can be sure we're getting the right thing?

Thanks
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Yea thanks to Ross I have been using the Ivomec horse paste as well for heartworms, and the Fenbendazole paste for the other worms.

I'll take a pic tonight if I remember.

Chip

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:14 pm

You can use Zimmectrin gold horse wormer and get most worms, it's a paste wormer.
Works well for me. :)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 am

Have you checked the math on the Z-Gold....I worked it out and came up with if you're giving enough to get tapes, you're overdosing the ivermectin by about 1000 times. It's been a long time since I sat in a math class, so if anyone good with numbers has figured it out, maybe they'll post. :?:

Vom Britt

Post by Vom Britt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:54 am

I remove the needle from the syringe before I shoot into the back of my dogs mouth :wink:

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 pm

I haven't seen using the Horse paste before, Is this the stuff. and whats the dose?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:03 pm

mudhunter wrote:I haven't seen using the Horse paste before, Is this the stuff. and whats the dose?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1
That's it. You can find it much cheaper than that price, though. It's one-half click for the .1/20lb dosage or one click for the .1/10lb.

remmy

Post by remmy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

I looked into the horse paste and it said it can be fatal to a dog. Also, there's no mention to preventing roundworm. Is this true?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Ivomec Plus should not be used. They have to put the warning on in case a dog would die. Don't use it on collies and shelties as they can have a reaction to it. It doesn't say anything about heartworm because it isn't made for dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Ivomec -plus- is designed to kill some kind of flukes, my vet says dont use the PLUS on your dogs, use the regular bovine ivomec. I dont believe any of it will be labled for dog use , why give up 7.00 monthly pill for a thirty five dollar bottle that lasts for a couple of years. If you have a kennel full of dogs its the way to go. USe a diabetes syringe with about 3tenths to a half cc for a fifty pound dog. Does a great job on ear mites to.Take the needle off give oraly. I have been using it for twenty years. Never lost on yet

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:53 pm

remmy wrote:I looked into the horse paste and it said it can be fatal to a dog. Also, there's no mention to preventing roundworm. Is this true?
Make sure it's plain ol' Ivermectin and not, not, not Ivomec Plus. Ivermectin is EXACTLY the active incredient in HeartGuard. Or, rather, it's the main one.

At the dosage we're talking about, which is off label, it will get everything but tapes and whips. Seems like just about everyone in the sporting dog world uses it and does so successfully.

But, collie breeds cannot use Ivermectin. They have a genetic abnormality that thins the blood/brain barrier and this causes Ivermectin to be dangerous for them.

remmy

Post by remmy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the info!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

We use the liquid but squirt it onto a piece of bread or a bun and then toss it to the dog. They think they are getting a treat and the 4 of them line up for it :D The only problem is whenever we get into the breadbag they think they are getting a treat :D

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:07 am

High Voltage wrote:We use the liquid but squirt it onto a piece of bread or a bun and then toss it to the dog. They think they are getting a treat and the 4 of them line up for it :D The only problem is whenever we get into the breadbag they think they are getting a treat :D
I do the same thing except I have one dog that has to chew everything very carefully - even bread! so I wrap his in Bacon and he gulps it like the rest. :)
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.