low protein level

gspgunner

low protein level

Post by gspgunner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:13 am

I took my 16 months old gsp to the vet last week after I noticed he had some fluid build up in his lower abdomen. Vet ran a full range of test from blood to stool. Nothing showed up. Dewormed him, nothing. Gave him a prescription for antibiotics and prednisone. That took care of it. Just curious if anybody else has seen this. She told me his protein level was low but couldn`t say why.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

MikeB

Re: low protein level

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:32 am

I find this very interesting.... How did you see this fluid build up in the lower abdomen? The Vet didn't know what caused it either since no tests showed anything, except low protein in the blood work? How long on the meds did it go away?

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:13 am

I noticed when he was sitting by our front door that the area around his penis was swollen. The next day while I was at work my wife took him to the vet because his lower abdomen starting filling with fluid. He never acted like he was sick and never completely lost his appetite. The meds took about four to clear it up. He has never thrown up his food but had diarrhea for a couple of days. I`ve done some searching on the internet but it seems like vomiting is always present when this type of problem arises.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:57 am

I'd keep an eye on that spot for a couple of months, He may have ingested a grass seed that has migrated into the flesh in that area and caused a small abcess that you caught early on. In my experience catching it early is a good thing.

I have had 2 dogs that have had that happen to them. One was cured by antibiotics and a drain inserted into the abcess. The abcess was on his side. The other had an abcess at the base of his sternum. He wasn't so lucky. We hit him with antibiotics 3 or 4 times over a period of 6 or 7 months. Finally we had to do surgery to remove the abcess.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing.

Doug

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:05 pm

was the abcess visable? how long was the one on antibiotics that didn`t require surgery?
Thomas Jefferson

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:44 pm

The abcess on the one that had the easy go of it was on the upper part of rib cage. Yes it was visible, and he was on Clavamox for 14 days. If I remember correctly the drain was taken out after about a week to 10 days.

The vet thought that the seed probably came out with the fluid that came out of the drain. If your dog has this it may be hard to see the abcess because it may be lodged in his abdomen. Both of mine had abcesses that were located near bones that were close to the skin.

I hope that answers your question, if not please PM me, and I will give you my phone # and we can discuss it over the phone.

This is the same thing that Mark Wasserman's Cutter had. His was lodged in his spine, and was misdiagnosed as cancer I believe. It made him lame, which is how Mark noticed that there was a problem.

Doug

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:06 pm

how did the dogs get into the seed? Bag or freshly planted, etc.....
Thomas Jefferson

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:59 pm

They get it when they are out hunting/training. It comes from grasses that haven't dropped their seeds yet. ie.. Speargrass, Foxtail, etc.

Doug

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:20 am

he`s doing better, and eating like a horse ! Must be the new Pro Plan shredded chicken blend I just bought !
Thomas Jefferson