Summer GSP skin condition

Luke's Guide

Summer GSP skin condition

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:28 am

Hi Folks,

First post here. I have a four year old GSP. We live on a river in VA. Every summer she gets a skin condition. It doesn't seem to bother her too much but she gets a real funky smell & dry flakeybumps.Istarted rinsing her off with fresh water after she has been in the river with no appreciable results. The vets standard cure is to give her antibiotics. Before I start doping her up with antibiotics again does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Bob
aka Bob

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:30 am

Could be the river water. My setter gets the same thing. I find that Johnsons baby shampoo cure it right up.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:36 am

Man Ryan,

You guys are fast.

I thought the same thing. That's why I started rinsing her with fresh water after we've been in the river. I'll give the baby shampoo a try. How long before you start to see results?

B
aka Bob

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:37 am

Hahah I took the day off work today so I could run Bailey. Now iI am waiting for the rain to stop so I can. Gotta stay in the right frame of mind so I came here.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:51 am

Another thought is gnat allergy. This appears as little bumps that develop into pustules, esp. on the dog's soft underbelly. There are so many, you would not think of it as bug bites, but more like a rash. Use bug repellent that won't harm the dog.

There are also parasites in some waters, that use snails for most of their lives, then burrow into skin, including humans. For humans, the prescribed preventative is to towel off after swimming. It gets right of them. Don't know what you would do for dogs.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:27 am

Thanks guys.

WagonMaster. I thought of the same thing. I've been using 'Flys Off' because my GSP had a bad reaction to regular bug spray, as in a grand mal seizure. Never been so scared or felt so bad in all my life. The 'Flys Off' really works well for the deer flyies we get around here.

I do towel her off after I rinse her.
aka Bob

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:29 am

With a dog it is hard to wipe them 100 percent Some of the bigs must be left on. Try washing her in the tub for a while and see if it clears.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:38 am

Will do.

GSP must know something is up. She doesn't want to go into the bathroom.
aka Bob

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:32 pm

If she is picking up the water parasites, it is too late to get rid of them, you have to just let it run its course. They burrow into the skin and the body takes care of them in about 10 days. They itch intensely. Usually scattered red welts which look like a mosquito bite. If it is gnats, it will clear on its own in a few days, so long as she is not bitten again, and so long as their was not enough to cause a broader infection. If it is not these, it is beyond my knowledge.