Nutri-Source

big steve46

Nutri-Source

Post by big steve46 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:31 am

Who feeds it? Do you feed 1, 8, or 9? What do you pay? Looks like a very good product if you can believe the info on the bags.
big steve

Chaingang

Re: Nutri-Source

Post by Chaingang » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 am

Steve I fed Nutrisource Super Performance last fall and dogs did well on it. Cost was my only reason to switch.

Made by the manufacturers of Tuffy's in Perham Minnesota.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:05 pm

Steve,
I know that Chuck Wilson feeds it in his kennel. They feed the large Puppy to all his pups also. He recomends it too all his customers.
Dіck

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:25 pm

I've heard it's a little pricey. I bet Chuck get's a big discount by buying in volume. I was mainly wondering about the single bag cost.
big steve

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:32 pm

If my memory serves me I want to say $44 or $45 for 40 lbs now. Last year I paid $38 plus tax. That was for Super Performance which looked to be their best ingredient wise.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:40 pm

That's not too bad (1.20 a #) for a real good, hot feed, but it's more than I would pay. Diamond's Extreme is that high or higher. I'm more of a .45 to .65 a # type of a guy. Of course, my dog does not get worked hard.
big steve

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Steve,
If I could find Nutra-Source locally I would use it. With shipping it would run about 2.23 a pound for me. I have not found amny foods locally that compare with the ingredients of theirs.

When are you going to be in highcottons area? Wish I could meet up with the two of you. About a 6-8 hour drive for me though.
Dіck

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Steve,

I won several bags of Nutri-Source at a trial in MN a few years ago. I was impresses with the feed before I even used it because of the packaging. I hauled it in the open bed of my truck for two days over 1,000 miles and two major rain storms and the bags did not leak a drop.

I started feeding it to all my dogs in the same amounts that I had been feeding Pro-Plan. In a matter of days all my dogs started gaining weight. In fact, I had to cut them all back to prevent them getting too fat. Their levels of endurance stayed about the same as with Pro-Plan but I did see a noticeable improvement in hair coats. I was amazed at how fast it caused a noticeable difference in my dogs.

I have never tried a feed of any kind that I liked better than Nutri-Source. If I had enough dogs to justify buying in bulk and paying shipping I would be feeding it now. If we ever get a local dealer I will switch to Nutri-Source.

BTW Chuck is now a Nutri-Source distributor.

Charles

demi

Post by demi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:55 pm

I feed Nutri-Source to our GSP, and love the food, big difference in the stools as compared to other food. He's 12 years old, weighs about 75 pounds, and still acts like a young pup. I buy the food at a local feed store and pay something like $30 for the 40lb bag of Lamb & Rice. He usually gets the Lamb and Rice as any other food and he has issues with gas... The last couple of weeks I have been feeding him the Super Performance to get ready for the hunting season without any problems. The Munsterlander does well on the Nutri-Source also, but seem to prefer Purina Pro Performance...not sure why, but it must taste better to her.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:53 pm

I feed the Adult Chicken & Rice formula. It's an excellent feed. My viz, who is somewhat finicky, eats it better than Canidae or Pro Plan (previous feeds I once used).

It's got glucosamine, chondroitin and Omegas already in the bag, too, which means I don't need to add a joint soother supplement or fish oil like I did to the previous feeds.

I get it a bag or two at a time from a friend, who buys it by the pallet load. 35# bags if I recall correctly, priced at about $24 to $26 per bag I think. Overall I'm satisfied. The less I have to think about what to feed, or how much it's costing, the better.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 am

I have fed Nutri-Source and because of price I went back to feeding Tuffy's Gold about a year ago. I raised the last litter on the Large breed Puppy from nutrisource, if it wasnt for the cost I would feed it all the time.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Ayres wrote:I feed the Adult Chicken & Rice formula. It's an excellent feed. My viz, who is somewhat finicky, eats it better than Canidae or Pro Plan (previous feeds I once used).

It's got glucosamine, chondroitin and Omegas already in the bag, too, which means I don't need to add a joint soother supplement or fish oil like I did to the previous feeds.

I get it a bag or two at a time from a friend, who buys it by the pallet load. 35# bags if I recall correctly, priced at about $24 to $26 per bag I think. Overall I'm satisfied. The less I have to think about what to feed, or how much it's costing, the better.
Steven, thats a great price if you can continue to get it through your friend. Do you switch over to Super Performance during the hunting season?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:42 am

I've never really gone to a super performance feed on any brand (except when I was blending Pro Plan Performance with their Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula). My dogs will get a few extras of this or that table scraps every now and then, and I've really not noticed them losing weight during hunting or training. So I guess you could say I've never really had the need to switch to a performance feed.

And I'm assuming that we're all talking about the same Nutri Source?

Image Nutri Source Website
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:45 am

topher40 wrote:I have fed Nutri-Source and because of price I went back to feeding Tuffy's Gold about a year ago. I raised the last litter on the Large breed Puppy from nutrisource, if it wasnt for the cost I would feed it all the time.
Looks like Nutri Source has its roots in Tuffy's too: http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/about_us
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 am

I have fed a little Tuffy's in the past and liked it real well. Lost our supplier so had to switch.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:45 am

Ayres wrote:
I''ve never really gone to a super performance feed on any brand (except when I was blending Pro Plan Performance with their Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula). My dogs will get a few extras of this or that table scraps every now and then, and I've really not noticed them losing weight during hunting or training. So I guess you could say I've never really had the need to switch to a performance feed.

And I'm assuming that we're all talking about the same Nutri Source?
As far as I know there is only 1 Nutrisource. Made in Perham Minnesota in the same plant that produces Tuffy's.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 pm

We feed NutriSource Adult last year at summer camp. The dogs were healthy and maintained great energy and weight. This year we were also feeding a NutriSource product at summer camp and ran out on 3 Oct, and could not get it locally since we are pretty much at the end of the food chain in northcentral South Dakota. I had to switch to Purina High Protein and Purina Puppy Chow - some dogs did just fine on Purina - several lost body weight on it! Pretty convinced that NutriSource is the way to go.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:03 pm

The biggest question in my mind would be "is it a cost-effective feed?" No doubt it's a very good feed requiring sl less volume than other feeds perhaps, but aren't they a couple of bucks per bag too high especially for guys feeding several dogs?
big steve

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 am

My vizsla eats a little more than two cups per day and has maintained a healthy 55 lbs since we started feeding it about a year ago.

My 10 month old gsp eats a level 4 cups per day and she's still growing. (Again, probably 45 - 50 lbs).

I'm probably getting a better price than most, and couple that with the fact that I do not supplement a joint soother vitamin anymore due to the glucosamine & chondroitin contained in the food (on other feeds I have added the joint vitamin). That means it's very cost-effective for me.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 am

Just so you know, glucosamine & chondroiten are nutritional supplements, but not vitamins. When it is in feed, there is enough for preventive reasons such as young dogs. In older dogs, especially if they have arthritis, you need to give a much stronger supplement every day added to their feed.
big steve

Chaingang

Re: Nutrisource

Post by Chaingang » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:57 am

Have to agree with Big Steve. The Glucosamine that is contained in the food is in very small quantities to keep costs down. If you really feel the need for it, best to supplement with a capsule form. I'm currently supplementing my 11 year old with such a product that also contains MSM along with the Glucosamine.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 am

Chain, I am doing the same thing with my 11 yr old. He also has low thyroid along with his arthritis, so I take a slice of bread, and using all of the middle part, put a throid pill, an aspirin, and glucos & chon with M into it making a ball, and he gulps it down. It all helps. This will be his last year to hunt, I believe.
big steve

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 pm

You're absolutely right. Because my viz is 4 years old and my GSP is 10 mos old, and neither show any signs of slowing down, I'm doing it simply for preventative measures. I would certainly add more if or when the situation called for it. (And I say "vitamins" because I bought the capsules at Vitamin World and it's easier to convey that way.) :wink:

Steve you'll have to drop back by sometime after hunting season. My house in Flat Rock will hopefully be ready to move into by Christmas or the New Year. I may be heading more toward your way for a hunt or two (Clay County) with a friend this year. If I get down that way, I'll drop you a line.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:34 am

Steven, Of course, I live in Clay county. I hope to do more quail hunting than I did last year which wasn't much. I have some coveys located and may need some help. I usually go pheasant hunting north the first day, but I think I will just quail hunt here this year.
big steve