Help fattening up female 3 weeks past whelping

luvmylabs

Help fattening up female 3 weeks past whelping

Post by luvmylabs » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:12 pm

My female whelped her litter on May 30. She was a picky eater before, has become worse in some ways since pregnant. What would you recommend to fatten up this skinny labrador?

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:21 pm

Pour bacon grease on her food and maybe make alot of gravy from bacon grease and feed that too.
My dogs love bacon grease on their food, it's their good behavior treat.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:58 am

Bacon Grease is also good for them in the ight amounts. I would also mix wet dog food in with her dry and keep a bowl of dry dog food full and let her get to it 24/7 while she is nursing pups.

luvmylabs

Post by luvmylabs » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 am

Thanks for the tips. I should have remembered the bacon grease. My step dad had pit bulls he feed it too. I was giving her the wet dog food but it did not have enough fiber in it and it gave her severe diarhea. :(:( So we are back on an all dry dog food diet right now. I never would have thought the canned food could do that. But she is such a picky eater I figure getting her to eat anything was good. I am also giving her a bit of goats milk on top of her dry dog food.

Thanks Again.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:12 pm

Try table scrapes. We gave bailey the fatty parts off steak and pork chops seemed to help her hold weight.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:31 pm

a quailty high protein and FAT dry food with some saucey canned dog food with goats milk and maybe a little bacon grease.

I do the dry with the added calcium and pedigree saucey dog food mixed to get them to eat also adding some water
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:43 pm

Iams makes a squirt bottle with stuff you can squirt on their food, mix it with water and they love it. You can get it at WalMart. It lasts a month without refrig. after opening.. I never heard of a picky Lab...
brenda

ward myers

picky

Post by ward myers » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:07 pm

try exceed brand at sams club chicken & rice formula

ward myers

picky

Post by ward myers » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:11 pm

theres picky eaters in all breeds & then theres the pigs
i have 1 that i have on fit & trim & shes still gaining wieght!
she keeps cheating on her diet like big bottle of fish food of the top of the aquarium & loaf of bread of the top of the refrig & tomatoes of the tom. plants she refuse to stick to her diet :D

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I was kinda worried about Justus losing too much weight since he's getting a ton more exercise this summer and not eating any more than usual, and my trainer recommended Beef'N'More canned dog food from Sams. No joke, it smells like you're opening a can of Campbell's Chunky Soup - Sirloin Burger flavor. I just add a little hot water to the normal amount of dry food and about a quarter-can (couple big spoonfuls) of the Beef'N'More and it seems to be doing the trick.

At least, Justus is finally getting up in the morning and eating rather than just saving breakfast until dinnertime. (We're also moving him to two regulated feeding times per day rather than just portion feeding and allowing it to sit until he decides to eat, which is why the Beef'N'More helps a lot getting him to eat when I want him to eat).
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:04 am

Ayres wrote:I was kinda worried about Justus losing too much weight since he's getting a ton more exercise this summer and not eating any more than usual, and my trainer recommended Beef'N'More canned dog food from Sams. No joke, it smells like you're opening a can of Campbell's Chunky Soup - Sirloin Burger flavor. I just add a little hot water to the normal amount of dry food and about a quarter-can (couple big spoonfuls) of the Beef'N'More and it seems to be doing the trick.

At least, Justus is finally getting up in the morning and eating rather than just saving breakfast until dinnertime. (We're also moving him to two regulated feeding times per day rather than just portion feeding and allowing it to sit until he decides to eat, which is why the Beef'N'More helps a lot getting him to eat when I want him to eat).
Theres a food I have not heard about for some time!

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:08 am

My dog at about 2-3 weeks was getting pulled down by the pups too. I started giving her 2 raw eggs in the AM with her food and also at night would give her about a 1/4 lb of raw meat with her feed. She snapped back fast!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:43 pm

snips wrote: I never heard of a picky Lab...
I havn't either :D mine will eat anything. Food, socks, paper towels, toys, etc....

Have you tried Nutri-cal? It's what the vet's use. Comes in a tube and is not cheap, but works quickly. You can put it on food or give it plain. I have never seen an animal turn it down, but there could always be a first...

Wireviz_lady

Satin balls

Post by Wireviz_lady » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:33 pm

I use this with my Viz during hunting season and after they have whelped to put some weight on. They absoltly love them. I even feed them frozen in the summer as a cold treat. This REALLY works. When Jamie was a pup we couldnt keep any wieght on him..now during hunting season he runs off all his body weight...these things work!

Satin Balls :

Cheap hamburger meat [high fat content}
Lg box of Total Cereal
Lg box of uncooked oatmeal
1 jar of Wheat Germ
1 1/4 cup of veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unflavored molasses
10 eggs
10 pks of unflavored gelatin
Garlic to Taste
1 cup of flaxseed...ground up.
2 scoops of Source/Kelp

Take all dry ingredients and place in a bowl. I crunch up the total while still in the box, and then pour all the other dry ingredients over it In a another large bowl put the hamburger meat and the wet ingredients. Mix each bowl well, then half each so that it is easier to mix. Mix just like you would a meatloaf I then take it raw, and place in freezer bags and put in the freezer, thaw out a bag as needed. feed raw. I use this not only as a quick weight gain, but as a everyday supplement for my dogs this recipe has been tested and analyzed by several universities and was found to be a total canine diet a dog could live on this without added kibble or any other supplements...this was before I added the Garlic and the Flaxseed and Kelp I have Vizsla and thier coats are glorious, you need to watch how much you feed it will put weight on a slim dog in a matter of a few days. It will also make an easy keeper fat in just a short period of time. Try it, your dogs will love it!!! One other thing, I have just started to add Kelp to it also, just for the added Iodine, may be good for those dogs that have a lower normal thyroid function. You can make this recipe in what ever amount you need/want by just halving the recipe down to what you want.

Uses

I take a frozen pack to dogs shows with me, kept on ice, and never have had any trouble with it spoiling, even in the heat of Texas summers...

All my dogs go crazy over this stuff...but you have to be careful, it will put wt on the dogs pretty fast if you feed enough....I feed a pack a day...half in am , half in pm.

When I want to increase the weight on a dog, I feed more; so far I haven't got to the point where they won't eat anymore, and believe me, Satin has eaten a lot at one setting. It will put on the weight, make the coats soft and blue black (on black dogs at least, that's all I have).

The dogs stop all the itching and chewing at their coats/skin, their eyes get this bright look and the energy level goes out the roof(not that Belgians need any more energy).

The bitch that I got this recipe for is a picky eater, but when this in on the food(I long ago stopped trying to "bury" it the other food; they just hunt it down to eat first, and making a mess trying) she eats much better. It seems to whet her appetite.

Comments

Per the information received after having the Satin Balls recipe checked by several vets/labs:

Satin Balls is a total canine diet. It can be feed by itself or as a supplement, for however long you wish. My dogs have been on Satin Balls for over a year; the only time that I have fed it alone is when I had a sick dog needing to be built up or an underweight dog that I plan on showing.

The only problem with feeding it by itself is figuring out the amount. It will put weight on a dog in a few days...that's why it is so great to feed just before a show. If you have a dog that is in good weight, but you just want to build coat/endurance, you would have to figure out how much to feed (cal per kg), or you would end up with a fat dog in a very short time. At one point, I let Satin eat as much as she wanted, just to see how much she would consume. I never got to that point! After a pound pack, she was still looking for more, so I stopped. I have been told a dog will stop eating when full on it, and that you can then gauge the amount needed to maintain weight!

I just find that per the pocketbook and ease, my dogs do very well on it as a supplement. I give about a 1/4 pound each night to maintain beautiful coats, energy level, and a full appetite...no picky eaters here.

Just don't try to hide it in the kibble...they will make a mess throwing out the kibble, digging for the Satin Balls! My dogs have never gotten sick on Satin balls...not even when I am at a show and feed only that. I feed less kibble, so I saves money there. There is also less stool to pick up as the dogs are able to digest all of the Satin Balls.

I have been playing with the recipe. I now use the Knox Joint Gelatin instead of the plain Knox unflavored gelatin. Since this is high in vit C and protein, and is good for the joints, it would be good for the dogs. They don't seem to mind the added flavor.

I am also adding Flaxseed oil. They probably don't need the added oil, but so far I have not seen it hurt anything.

Fix some up and let your dogs enjoy. They will love you forever and forever!