Big Dave

Limber Tail

Post by Big Dave » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Any ideas on treatment or prevention?

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Limber Tail

Post by snips » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Don't know about prevention, but I think Rimydil is a treatment, and time.
brenda

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Okay, what is limber tail? Denise

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:31 am

I don't know that there are any real preventatives, but there are a couple of precautions that I take since I've had a couple of dogs that had it. Don't overexercise a dog that's out of condition, or that's been sitting for a while. After strenuous exercise let the dog cool down before you put him up in a dog box or crate or tight CG. Anti-inflammatory meds and time are the only treatments that I know of.
Wems, limber tail is a condition where the tail just goes dead, hanging down and not able to move. It's painful to the dog. It seems to occur after exercise.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:04 am

Even though I owned long tail dogs for years I had never experienced "limber tail" until 3 years ago. I had a 2 year old pointer coming into her own and hunted her pretty hard on opening day. The next morning her tail hung limp. I had conditioned her before the season but evidently not enough, she showed no other signs of overexertion. She was hauled home in a dog box for an hour or so. I had heard of this "limber tail" condition before this and tried to learn as much as I could once one of mine was stricken. Most of the good information I received was the same as shags listed here. I was hoping something new had been found since my year old pup now has it. I was gang running some dogs for conditioning and she got lost in some high cover. Once I found her she was beyond some woven wire fences and couldn't find her way back. She is from totally different breeding and body type as the other dog that has had a problem. She has been getting out for short runs and yard work, she has a very short tail and is a strong little gyp. After her 2 hour lost jaunt I brought her back on the 4 wheeler and watered her, 30 minutes later I took her through our whoa breaking routine and her tail and attitude were fine. The next morning her tail hung straight down and totally limp, I am leaving her put up except for short, easy walks on a leash. She is improving slowly but it is a bad time for us as I was starting to increase her training and conditioning for the upcoming season.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:30 pm

Big Dave,

Is this a new dog for you? Thought you only had the Lew... ?

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:52 pm

Big Steve is the Setter man.

Dobe

Post by Dobe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am

Is this also known as "cold water tail"? If so, anti-inflammatories and rest should do the trick. Never have figured out a way to prevent it.......

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:53 pm

If you'll do a search on our forum, I know this has been discussed at least twice. Some of the past threads should provide some guidance.

The only treatment is an anti-inflammatory such as Rimadyl. The faster you can give the anti-inflammatory, the better. Symptoms will be much more mild and won't last near as long.

And yes, this is the same thing as "cold water tail". My vizsla has had limber tail a few times, each only after being sprayed down with cold water. He doesn't seem to get it if he swims in cold water, just after being sprayed down with a hose. I think it's a combo of the cold water, the water pressure, and the dog tightening up while it all happens.

Anyway, with any luck the dog will eventually "grow out" of it, for lack of better term. Each successive time it happens, so long as you hit it fast with the meds, it will be less and less severe.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Sorry about that Big Dave, I got you BIG GUYS mixed up.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:33 am

I gave her anti inflammatories and left her in the kennel for 4 days. On day 5 I started walking her on leash and walked her a little more every day until day 8. She was making good progress so I have been letting her out for short runs, letting go longer each time. I think we are %100 or close to it now. Thanks for all the help. I really like this young dog.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Glad to hear it. It's minor in the grand scheme of things, but the way the dog acts when it has limber tail makes you think the worst until it's diagnosed.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux