Vacinations can you give yourself

weimshuntemup

Vacinations can you give yourself

Post by weimshuntemup » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi everyone my name is Scott and I'm from central PA I was wondering with the rising costs of dog food,training supplies and also VET bills. I was wondering if anyone gives there dog there vacinations instead of taking them to the VET. With all of pet med sites out I'm sure you can buy medications that can giving by the owner. I do everything else for my dog and have taken first aid classes for when I'm afield! If you can do this I would like someone to give me some info on this subject. With the rising costs of VET bills, if I can save money and give these vacinations safely and them be effective than I think I will go this route. Thank you for all you help..
Scott

3Britts

Re: Vacinations can you give yourself

Post by 3Britts » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Scott,

You will have to check with your local animal control for ordinances covering the giving of shots to be sure what shots you are allowed to give you animals. In Utah, where I live, I can give all shots except rabies and distemper. This saves me about 10 dollars per dog when I visit my vet's office.
Hope this helps.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 pm

Scott -

I believe that in PA any dog owner can give a dog all vaccinations except rabies.

I have taken to giving my dogs theie shots. The typical 6 way vaccine is available as a 25 dose package consisting of two vials. you need to supply the syringe.

For most dog owners this is not economical. However there are some suppliers who prepackage single doses, with a syringe. They are quite a bit more expensive to purchase that way, but when you need only one dose, they are much less expensive than going to the vet. These vaccines can be injected subcutaneously which is a snap to do and virtually zero risk of messing up.

If you want to protect against Lyme disease, the only subcutaneous dosage form I have found is a 10 dose vial which, again is only ecomnomical in my area if you have four or more dogs.

Check with your local feed grain/dogfood supplier. Many times they have the single dose combination vaccines for sale. Mine does. If you are buying just one or two, it is the most economical way to go, I think.

RayG

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:02 pm

I have been giving my own vaccines for years to horses, dogs, and cats with no ill effects. Sometimes I buy them from my local farm store, but mostly I order from Jefferspet.com. They have single and multi-dose vaccines...and a SQ injection is so easy to give. Denise

wbockman

Post by wbockman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:31 pm

There is another option if you don't want to buy in bulk. Petco has vaccination clinics that are very reasonable and you don't have to pay an office visit fee.

You can find the clinic dates for your local Petco by going to their main website and doing a search.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56 pm

I get all the vaccinations from the vet and administer myself. MUCH Cheaper! Why pay for the office visit and exam on a perfectly healthy dog? Also buy a staple gun for on the spot "repairs". It will pay for itself in no time!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Scott, I give all of my own vaccines other than Rabies since state law madates that a vet gives it.

I order my vaccines from either Jeffers or Revival Animal. But i have 5 dogs so I go through the vaccines. I also share a tray of them with fellow Weim Club members when I order them.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Topher - where can you buy the staple gun? I haven't looked for one, but do most of the Vet supply places carry them? Thanks!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:48 pm

Jeffers.com
$19.95 for the staple gun with 20 staples

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:54 am

I recommend that every bird dog owner carries a staple gun, I think I got mine at vet vax but its been awhile. You should be able to find one anywhere dog stuff is sold. If you can get your hands on some suture kits they come in real handy also. My wife is a Dr. so I have plenty laying around and they are just as handy for the smaller stuff.

www.vetvax.com
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine