PUPPY FOOD

loneeagle15

PUPPY FOOD

Post by loneeagle15 » Sat May 28, 2005 8:10 am

Just picked up my new pup and need help with picking puppy chow this is what they wrote
"we recommend Iames Eukanuba Puppy Large
Breed. They are very similar. You will get a small bag of our feed to
mix with whatever you choose. We do not recommend leaving them on this
type of puppy food for very long. These pups will grow too fast,
resulting in joint problems, if you push this much nutrition."
What does everyone think??
Thanks

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat May 28, 2005 8:29 am

what kind of dog?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat May 28, 2005 8:44 am

I am a fan of Pro Plan Puppy. They have lg breed or origional formula.
brenda

loneeagle15

puppy food

Post by loneeagle15 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:46 am

I bought Iams large breed puppy food
and when I picked her up they recommended not to feed the puppy food but switch to adult food so that she won't grow as fast and develop hip and joint problems
sound right???

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat May 28, 2005 12:00 pm

doesn't sound right at all.. the food type shouldn't matter its the amount of food you're feeding the dog if you leave full bowls out all day the dog will just eat and eat and he'll grow faster then his bones and that'll cause problems but not the type

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat May 28, 2005 10:05 pm

I was told (via my vet) that the large breed formulas are actualy designed to slow the growth of the larger breeds in order to prevent joint/bone problems. He also informed me that unless a particular breed is prone to joint problems it is not necessary to feed large breed to any dog that is not expected to exceed something like 80#. Dogs such as Pointers, GSP, Brittanys, most setters, and the like are not considered a large breed. Your best option is if you bought your pup from a reputable breeder contact some of the referals that they should have given you or will give you and ask what they fed their pup. Then contact your vet and have him/her explain how to understand the nutritional info on the bag then you can make the decision on what brand to chose. ONe other thing my vet seems certian of is that Purina does all the reserch and everyone else just copys them with some slight changes. My GSP ended up with a food alergy and I had to switch brands when I went to the pet store to find a food that was most unlike what I was feeding I found this to be true for the most part.
Good luck

loneeagle15

puppy food

Post by loneeagle15 » Tue May 31, 2005 6:06 am

sorry she is a yellow lab

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 31, 2005 7:34 am

I feed eukanuba and absoloutly love it. Shiny coat, lots of energry and all the right ingredients. Only thing I dont like is cost.

brian

I feed Exceed Lamb and Rice (Sam's Club)

Post by brian » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:27 am

I believe Casper is correct in that the Large Breed puppy foods are supposed to help slow down the growth as compared to normal puppy food.

I feed a brand called Exceed Lamb and Rice that I buy at Sam's Club. My GSP does great on it. Maintains weight and not alot of waste. He also eats it which is important.

Cost about $20 for 44 lbs so pretty economical.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:50 am

We have only fed eukanuba and we have no joint problems or anything at all.

ward myers

FEED

Post by ward myers » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:23 pm

BRIAN i feed exceed as well ,i am very pleased with it

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:23 pm

I feed Canidae. It works for puppies, adults, working and senior dogs...you just adjust accordingly. It also doesn't have any artificial fillers or additives...no wheat, soy, corn. The 1st 3 of 5 ingredients are meat...chicken, lamb and turkey meals. The other 2 ingredients are white and brown rice. It also has menhaden fish meal. Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty acids, is excellent for problem skin and allergies, has digestive enzymes, probiotics and superior digestibility and antioxidants, vitamins and amino acid chelated minerals. What goes in stays in and very minimal clean up...which also disinegrates in the rain.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:33 pm

Patty,

Corn, wheat, and rice are not fillers but each is a good source of carbohydrates. Soy normally refers to soybean meal which is soybeans that have had the oil removed and the meal that is left is 44% protein if it includes the hulls and will be 47 or 48% protein if it has been dehulled. In either case it is an excellent source of vegatable protein that comes the closes to providing all of the amino acids that a dog needs. What it lacks they use the animal protein meals to supplement or maybe it is better to say they use the combination to provide the most balanced amino acid source you can find.

No matter how you cut it they are all good ingredients that are used to make a good dogfood. Could it be better? Probably if they would use chicken lamb or turkey instead of meals that are made up of scraps, and organs, including stomach and intestines. However dogs do well on that kind of feed and it cheapens the cost considerably.

Most dogfoods are good and it comes down to personnal preferences.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:25 am

ezzy333 wrote: Probably if they would use chicken lamb or turkey instead of meals that are made up of scraps, and organs, including stomach and intestines. However dogs do well on that kind of feed and it cheapens the cost considerably.
Ezzy
This is Canidae's definition of their meat meals:
Chicken & Turkey Meal - (Human Grade) Hormone Free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free. Human quality meat, flesh tissue and skin only.
Lamb Meal - (Human Grade) Finest American Lamb, hormone free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free. Human quality meat.

I could be wrong, but I was under the understanding that the by-product is "the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. Meat by-products are not meat. They can include almost any part of the animal other than meat. Because any mammal can be used, cheaper meats like horse, pig, or goat are often included.
Poultry - The clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of poultry or a combination of thereof - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails. Poultry is an unpredictable ingredient, which can contain any type of fowl, including buzzards, geese, and other birds."