Toe infection

cgbirddogs

Toe infection

Post by cgbirddogs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 am

One of my dogs has been dealing with an infection of his toe for a great while. He's been to three different vets, two of which prescribed short term antibiotics. The antibiotics clear it up in the short term, but the infection comes right back. Anyone ever experienced this type of problem in their dog, and how did your vet treat the condition? I took him this morning to the vet and they took x-rays, and put him on a long term course of antibiotics and steriods for the inflamation. I'm hoping this does the trick.

CG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Toe infection

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:37 am

3 vets??? I can't imagine why an x-ray and steroids would be warranted. Maybe the DR. here knows why.

I've had two experiences.
One was the common interdigital cyst ( google it). 10 days of Epsom salts soaking cleared it up.

Second was a long thorn that had gone way up between the pads and could not be see.
That kind of thing won't show on an x-ray.
Had to wait for the thorn to emerge .
It migrated far and came out near the knee.
Then everything cleared up fine.

Your vet is using a broad spectrum antibiotic. If it doesn't clear up she'll probably do a culture.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 am

very well could be some type of foreign body. clearing up with antibiotics and then coming back is a pretty common sign with a thorn, grass awn, or some other type of object lodged in the tissue. However, if the infection has progressed to the bone (osteomyelitis) , it can be very difficult to clear. those will require long term antibiotics (and i would culture it first) and even then sometimes cant be cleared. those cases require removal of the affected digit (or at least that is what I do). if they are absolutely certain there is no foreign body, then removal of the toe is probably warranted.
is there a draining tract, or is the whole toe swollen and inflamed?? how old is your dog??

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:51 pm

The whole toe is swollen and inflamed. He is 10 years old. This morning the vet said something about amputating the toe if its gotten too bad. I'm going to pick him up now. They did some xrays and a blood panel this morning. I'll let yall know what she said.

CG

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Are you taking your dog to CRAH? My GSP had a similar issue. His was swollen and would drain. They screwd around with it for weeks and weeks. First started with epsom salt soaks, warm compresses, topical stuff, then low dose anti biotics. It'd start to clear up then come back. They did everyting but find it. Xrays, bloodwork, biopsy etc etc. They finally lanced it and found nothing. I know for a fact he picked it up in the desert, but I could never find and entry wound/puncture. He (the large male in my avitar) died of a stroke from a blood clot a day after the operation and 8 hours after his last visit to CRAH. I was just livid with those people. markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 pm

markerdown wrote:Are you taking your dog to CRAH? markerdown
YIKES! I sure am. Just left there. They put him on antibiotics and a steriod (decreasing the dosage gradually). I'm supposed to come back in 2 weeks for a followup. We'll see how it goes.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Clarence one thing they might have missed is the toenail being cracked above the quick. Those can cause chronic infections that lead to the osteomylitis Doc is talking about. If that's the case amputating the toe might very well be the answer. We had a dog with the same problem that we fought for over a year.

If there's a foreign body in there it might not show up on the X Ray, sometimes wood will, sometimes it won't, it depends on the location and the intensity of the x ray.

If when manipulated they/you can feel any sort of soft pocket down deep, odds are it's abscessing and that usually means a foreign body such as a splinter or cactus spine. If that's the case then lancing it at that spot might very well clear it and lead to a rapid recovery. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Have they done a culture yet?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm betting on foreign body in there.
Have had several dogs that this happened to.

One, one day was fine, the next morning his foot was the size of a softball. After weeks of antibiotics, 3 exploratory surgeries, they finally found a small piece of corn stalk. Once it was removed, healed in no time flat.

Another chewed on some wood, side of cheek blew up like a balloon, again weeks of antibiotics, 2 surgeries... found a splinter which was encapsulated.

Today, have a bitch with small lump on ribcage.... one day it was three times as big... one round of antibiotics, scheduled for surgery next week to find out what is in there. Pain in the neck healing time, drains etc, but gotta get what ever it is out of there or it will continue forever.

"bleep" dogs......costing me a small fortune!!!!!!

Good luck with whatever it is, hopefully it is an easy fix.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:11 pm

My female just got one of these again. This same thing happened about this time last year and I remember her coming up limping with a big thorn in between her toes on her paw. Pulled it out and then sometime later she got this sore. Why does this happen in the spring? Both times are right before I want to run her in some trials and she is limping with her swollen paw. It took months for it to finally go away if I remember right. I am not plant person, but is it a certain kind or just exposed spring stuff before new growth makes it taller to step on. I think both times it also happens to be very wet and muddy with lots of standing water. Any thoughts?
Matt

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Interdigital Furnucles I think is the proper term for what my gsp has.