Timberwolf

claybuster_aa

Timberwolf

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Timberwolf website (News & Events) has some interesting info regarding two specific formulas. Certain pet food retailers have been forwarding emails to their clients in regard to those two specific formulas.

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

shets114

Re: Timberwolf

Post by shets114 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Ev.
Last edited by shets114 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Unless Timberwolf makes Diamond.............or Diamond makes Timberwolf.............I'm not sure where this thread is going. I don't feed Timberwolf, but thanks for the update Claybuster. Denise

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:16 am

Di
Last edited by shets114 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:27 am

shets114 wrote:Everyone will still think that Diamond is a quality manufacturer. Recall after Recall and still with 50+ checks they still have problems.
You explicitly say that Diamond has had multiple recalls. I don't feed Diamond, but in the interests of accuracy, please indicate the multiple recalls. A link would be nice.

Also in the interests of full disclosure, you should state that you work for Arkat and have "skin in the game".

Greg J.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:50 am

I
Last edited by shets114 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:10 am

I feed Diamond with good results. I doubt that Diamond is a perfect company, nor are the other companies. Diamond has caught a lot of flaq for their recall, but when Purina recently had a recall, it got hushed up in a hurry, and all the pro-plan feeders didn't say much. Sooner or later, Arkat will probably also experience a recall. All companies have hype about the superiority of their quality control, and a few on here are gullible enough to believe it. I think all of the aforementioned feeds are good, and many other brands are good. We have to be cautious about developing a 'holier than thou " attitude. :roll:
big steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:54 pm

Want to be clear that I have no particular love for Diamond. Feel free to search the archives about my posts on their "Hi Energy".

On the other hand, I do have a particular love for accuracy and full disclosure of possible bias when slamming a company or product.

Greg J.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Excellent post Greg! There is so much bad info in most of the dog food posts either because people really don't know what they are talking about or in a few cases it seems to be intentionally trying to mislead people who read these.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:22 pm

It is very easy to research the various companies and recalls. All you have to do is go to the FDA site and do a search.

http://google2.fda.gov/search?output=xm ... &q=diamond

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Shetts,

If you are going to post it, you give us the info and don't tell everyone reading it to find the info. You have tried very hard to downgrade Diamond in particular and several others with your retoric but they are still one of the two or three major manufacturer of premium feeds, wether you use it or not. Arkat seems to be a small company that is making a good feed also and I am sure there is room for them to exist along with a lot of other companies. But it makes it impossible to believe you are impartial when everyone knows you work for Arkat. I am sure you know it too since you are not willing to share that info in your posts.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Besides, I don't necessarily accept all of the criteria and standards of the FDA. Remember, figures don't lie, but liars figure. So, it depends on " what aze you've got to grind."
big steve

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Neither one of you own a retail outlet or have lost money due to incompetence of these manufactures, so until then you should keep your opinions to yourselves also.
I don't make statements on any others behalf other than mine.
Last edited by shets114 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks for the PARTIAL link to the FDA site. This would be the full link. While there are a ton of grocery store brands I've never heard of, there's also Eukanuba, Iams, Royal Canin, Hills/Science Diet (cats). Denise

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/p ... ecall/#Dog
The “Information Current as of…” date provided above indicates when this Web page was updated; it does not indicate the date when the pet food recalls listed below were initiated. Once listed, each of the recalled pet food products remains listed, even if there are no new recalls associated with that product. Although we have taken care to make sure the information is accurate, if we learn that any information is not accurate we will revise the list as soon as possible.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
shets114 wrote:Everyone will still think that Diamond is a quality manufacturer. Recall after Recall and still with 50+ checks they still have problems.
You explicitly say that Diamond has had multiple recalls. I don't feed Diamond, but in the interests of accuracy, please indicate the multiple recalls. A link would be nice.

Also in the interests of full disclosure, you should state that you work for Arkat and have "skin in the game".

Greg J.
I don't feed Diamond but thought it might be interesting to Google the FDA site - dog food. Very interesting.

It goes back to March/07 and there are no recalls for Diamond.There is a note about a certain bag that is "best before Sept./08"
Definately important to choose our words wisely.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:02 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- December 20, 2005 -- Diamond Pet Food has discovered aflatoxin in a product manufactured at our facility in Gaston, South Carolina. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical by-product from the growth of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, on corn and other crops.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Meta, MO -- April 26, 2007 -- Because of the canned pet food recall initiated today by American Nutrition Inc., Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products: Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans, and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans.

List of recalls for Dog Food from Brand 'Diamond Pet Food'
Information current as of April 16, 2008
Pet Food Recall: Main Page

Note:This compiled list represents all pet food recalled since March 2007. If and when new information is received, this list will be updated. The “Information Current as of…” date provided above indicates when this Web page was updated; it does not indicate the date when the pet food recalls listed below were initiated. Once listed, each of the recalled pet food products remains listed, even if there are no new recalls associated with that product. Although we have taken care to make sure the information is accurate, if we learn that any information is not accurate we will revise the list as soon as possible.

Manufacturer Product Description Type of Packaging/Container Best Before Date Size Product Code Other Codes
Diamond Pet Food Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal & Rice Bag 10/09/08 40lbs NLR0404B2SL
Diamond Pet Food Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal & Rice Bag 10/09/08 40lbs NLR0404A2SL

List of recalls for Dog Food from Brand 'Diamond Pet Food (RICE GLUTEN)'
Information current as of April 16, 2008
Pet Food Recall: Main Page

Note:This compiled list represents all pet food recalled since March 2007. If and when new information is received, this list will be updated. The “Information Current as of…” date provided above indicates when this Web page was updated; it does not indicate the date when the pet food recalls listed below were initiated. Once listed, each of the recalled pet food products remains listed, even if there are no new recalls associated with that product. Although we have taken care to make sure the information is accurate, if we learn that any information is not accurate we will revise the list as soon as possible.

Manufacturer Product Description Type of Packaging/Container Best Before Date Size Product Code Other Codes
American Nutrition Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula Can 21 Aug 08 - 15 Apr 09 13 oz
American Nutrition Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula Can 21 Aug 09 - 15 Apr 09 13 oz

Plus the foods that they manufacture for other customers.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:23 pm

I apologize. I didn't see any of that when I looked.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:32 pm

If you read through that whole post you will find the only serious recall was the one with aflotoxin. The others wer voluntary ones Diamond initiated to insure there was no problem with the feeds manufactured by the company that had the problem with the Chinese ingredient. As it turned out there was no problem with their feed. Lets be honest about Diamond and every other company that has manufactured feed for a number of years. Thank God most of the companies are responsible and do all they can to protect their customers. Diamond sure did. And most companies realize that sooner or later something will happen to them too, so they do not spend their time running other companies down but rather try to hire people who can show you an advantage to using their product. Like I said before there is room for everyone and the good ones will continue to prosper even when others try to rrun them down every chance they get.

Ezzy

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:33 am

Whatever you think Ezzy. It is a free world and you can think what you want and I can do the same. Like I said my opinions are my opinions not those of any company I work with or for.
Like I said I got screwed by your so called good company and I will never forget it. Maybe if it would have cost you some money you would think different. I highly doubt it though.
If you would have lost a litter of $400.00 pups, like one of my best customers did you would think different.
If you had vet bills because your dog ate there good food maybe you would think different.

Evidently it didn't effect you, Thats' good. Some think different then you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:47 am

Like I said I got screwed by your so called good company and I will never forget it. Maybe if it would have cost you some money you would think different. I highly doubt it though.
I hope you are right. I have been in the business long enough to realize things happen to everyone and something an employee didn't do does not make the company a bad company. I don't think Arkat is a bad company because of your attitude. You have to be able to seperate things and place blame only after you can prove someone intentionally did something to harm you. I don't think Arkat is aware of your bitterness towards one of their best competitiors.
If you would have lost a litter of $400.00 pups, like one of my best customers did you would think different.
If you had vet bills because your dog ate there good food maybe you would think different.
Sure hate the thoughts of this but it is an example as to why every company carries liability insurance.

You have my sympathy but it is not right to intentionally try to harm someone or some company because of your personal animosity. And it would be nice if you didn't try to use this forum for that purpose either. If there is something we can do to help you get over this let us know. Life is too short to go through it hating someone, especially when they don't deserve it.

Ezzy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:21 am

The way I read it, there was one recall of product actually manufactured by Diamond and one that they market but manufactured by another company.

Under those circumstances, "recall after recall" seems to be misleading.

Would have been more accurate to say "Guys, you might like Diamond, but my business and that of some of my customers was severely impacted by Diamond's aflatoxin incident and I won't ever do business with them again. Just so everyone knows, I had such good results from Arkat feeds that I went to work for them. It's easy to sell something when you've personally had such good results from it.".

To reiterate Greg's personal experience with Diamond....I have tried one feed, the "Hi Energy" and didn't have good results. The thread is in the "Health and Nutrition" forum. I searched a bit, couldn't find it and don't have time right now. Will try to later.

I don't know if I've posted it, but my younger dog was on the Arkat feed when he was at the handler's in TX and did very well on it. I'd be the first in line to pick some up if it was readily available here.

Greg J.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Ezzy your just to much. I love ya man. You should be in politics.

I have stated a hundred times that what I believe is what I believe and what I say is my opinion and not that of Arkats. I don't get why you can't get it in your head. They have nothing to do with my dislike of the other company. So I will just leave it as is. You can think what you want and I will do the same.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:21 pm

Shets,

I love ya too man. But since all you can post is your opinion of Diamond which I have told you several times it is just your opinion and not fact, that you are trying to mislead everyone into believing, why don't you just let it lay till you can approach the subject in a rational manner. All but a few people acknowledge that Arkat is a good feed and all but a few people acknowledge Diamond is a good feed so there is little point in you posting this garbage every month or so.

Keep smiling and good luck wih your Arkat endevor,

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Ezzy, You know there's some Dimocrats who can't get over the election of 2000 either. WOOPS! That's politics! Well, maybe some of the previous posts are politics also? :lol: :wink:
big steve

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Did some more peeking around on the Timberwolf website and came across this:

"Q. Is Timberwolf Organics, Inc. owned by Diamond Pet Foods, Inc.?

A. No. Timberwolf Organics is a private and independently owned company.

Diamond Pet Foods did at one time manufacture our formulas, however, we have since moved our production to another facility owned and operated by another company that specializes in premium natural pet food formulations, (we cannot give this information out, as it is proprietary). We are certain that Diamond Pet Foods, Inc. is a fine company, but to answer the above question, we have no business affiliation with them."

Charlie

PS: your welcome Denise!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks again Claybuster. I had originally asked the Timberwolf/Diamond question regarding the post linking them together. I had visited the Timberwolf site, just out of curiosity and couldn't find any reference to Diamond anywhere there................so was a little confused that there was a connection. Sounds like there was previously, but that's not too relevant to todays warning evidently. Don't know how things get so off track sometimes. :wink: Denise
Last edited by wems2371 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:57 pm

shets114 wrote:Neither one of you own a retail outlet or have lost money due to incompetence of these manufactures, so until then you should keep your opinions to yourselves also.
I don't make statements on any others behalf other than mine.
Ok Shetts now I'll step in. My entire living is based on my dogs, that includes their overall health. I've fed more diamond to my own dogs in the last fifteen years (I keep an average of 20-30 of my own all the time) than most of the members of this board combined will feed of all feeds combined in the next decade.

Yes Diamond had a recall due to Aphlatoxin three or four years ago. A good many dogs got sick. The company recalled all the feed in the affected 2 batches (fifteen minute runs) as soon as it was detected. The company covered the veterinary and replacement costs of all of those who could prove they had dogs sickened or lost due to this incident. They did so immediately without being forced to by lawsuits etc. No company in my opinion has ever handled such a situation as forthrightly and decently as Diamond did in this case.

Have you read or listened to the news lately? Last week we had a recall of two types of tomatos which started here in Texas. Several dozen people became extremely ill due to Salmonella on these tomoatos. These, like all produce for human consumption had gone through the normal rigorous USDA inspections and testing which are required. Some slipped through and made people sick.

In the real world such things are going to happen. In diamond's case it was a two part error. The shipper which had certified the load of corn aphlatoxin free had done so fraudulently. The reciever (moron that unloaded the car) was too lazy to run the lab tests and falsified them.

Since that time They have spent millions on new testing equipment and instituted repetitive testing proceedures that will prevent the same type situation from ever being possible.

If you lost money we're sorry. If you don't want it to happen again, quite handling food for either humans or animals because no matter how diligent you are, sooner or later odds are pretty good somethign similar will happen with another line or brand at some future point in time.

Diamond is a quality product produced by really good people. I know that for a fact because I have used their products for many years, and anytime I have a question about what's going on, I have their cheif nutritionist and CEO on speed dial. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:03 pm

shets114 wrote:Ezzy your just to much. I love ya man. You should be in politics.

I have stated a hundred times that what I believe is what I believe and what I say is my opinion and not that of Arkats. I don't get why you can't get it in your head. They have nothing to do with my dislike of the other company. So I will just leave it as is. You can think what you want and I will do the same.
Shet's just to be real clear. I personally feed a lot of Arkat now. Not because I think it's a better feed, but because I can get it delivered and I have to make a hundred mile round trip to pick up Diamond.

I have never felt the need though to badmouth one of them to make the other sound better. I can say for a fact that my dogs do seem to do a little better on the Diamond than they do on Arkat. That being said I wrote a 740.00 check on Friday for my latest delivery of Arkat Enhance. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:08 pm

But heck Charley, You've got GSPs! They will gulp down anything! :lol: :lol: :wink:
big steve

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:21 am

I'm not sure how to state it more clearly. My personal dislike for a certain manufacturer is my dislike. It has nothing to do with other companies. Not once did I state Diamond bad Arkat good. Not ONCE>>>> So I'm not sure other than Steve and Ezzy bringing them into this conversation how it ends up in it.
I could work with a guy for years and not particularly like him but I can work with him. Am I going to ask him to my house and have dinner? NO>
If Timberwolf changed manufacturers than it must have been recently. Why change manufacturers????

Ezzy I am going to leave it at this and won't post any further. You know I don't like them as a company. I think alot of people know that now.
I'm sure there are alot of people who like there products or they wouldn't be in business.
I made a personal decision years ago to not carry any products that I wouldn't use or didn't belive in. I will give you my word though that I will no longer post negativity about them on here anymore. I will keep my personal opinion on the matter to myself.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 am

If Timberwolf changed manufacturers than it must have been recently. Why change manufacturers????

My guess is the most likely switched shortly after the corn thing about 4-5 years ago. Remember the mysterious bag controversy? Right about that time, people were mentioning the Timberwolf bag had quickly changed and their food was being delivered in just a plain bag. The company said something about a shortage with the bag supplier. The switch was probably on back then.

Charlie