How would you take this?

2britts

How would you take this?

Post by 2britts » Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 pm

I took my girls to the vet today they are almost 4 months now. They were both within ounces of 17 pounds. The first thing they vet said is "what ever you are feeding them it is working well" after which I mentioned that I was feeding Diamond Hi Energy. To which he responded "You can do better than Diamond" and that I should try Science Diet because it is what all other dog food is measured against. I'm not looking to start another dog food thread. I guess I was just a little bothered by how he said it. Was it just a case of another vet trying to sell me dog food?

natetnc

Re: How would you take this?

Post by natetnc » Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 pm

not to say science diet isn't a good food (been avoiding all food threads) but i think it is now overrated and overpriced. whoever their marketing executive is should be well compensated. they have cornered the soccermoms into thinking science diet is the best thing since sliced bread, and they are paying for it too. i do think other brands are similar in content and priced more reasonably.

no flaming please, i am not an expert on dog food nutrition, this post was more about the marketing strategy of SD instead of the quality of SD. :D

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri May 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Stick with what your feeding if they are doing well. Science diet except for the prescription forms are not the end all be all of dog foods. If your are happy with your food and can afford it, stick with it (especially since he gave you a nice comment on their condition).

Carla

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri May 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Science Diet in my humble experience is a vet specialty that they like to try and sell you. If the Diamond is working why fix what isn't broken? I too am not trying to get into a my dog food is better than yours discussion.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

vern3

Post by vern3 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Tell your vet if he will sell you the science diet for what you are paying for Diamond you will buy it, if not stick with what is working
Seriously most vets try and push Science Diet

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri May 23, 2008 4:08 pm

When I did feeding trials on my dogs Science Diet was one of the feeds that absolutely could not maintain the condition and coat of my dogs when they were working hard. IMO Science Diet is certainly not worth the money they charge.

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Fri May 23, 2008 6:17 pm

One time I acquired a bag of SD, not really sure how anymore. Anyway... The ducks and chickens wouldn't even eat it and they will eat anything!

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:07 pm

I feed my GSP Diamond Premium. It has been great for her. Great coat, energy and maintained her weight very well. Every vet in the world says you have to use science diet. Problem is most vets do not understand what a sporting dog needs. I find science diet to be lacking in energy levels for my GSP. The fat and protein content is just not there. I feed science diet to my little house dog because it is the only thing she doesnt throw up after eating but its not what my sporting dog needs. Even their Hi-Energy formula is desigend more for labs than hard running bird dogs. If Diamond is working for you I would stick with it. It has been working great for me. If my dog needs anything extra during hunting or trial season I just add some oil to her food.

MarineX

Post by MarineX » Sun May 25, 2008 3:21 pm

Your veterinary is both right and wrong! He’s right in stating; “you can do better than Diamond” just wrong as to Science Diet being better. In regards to nutrition you have to understand the average veterinary receives an hour of training on nutrition during their schooling and that is coming directing from companies like Science Diet. So to say the information they receive is biased would be an understatement. They aren’t the ones to seek advice from in regards to nutrition unless they specialize in it-which very few do. They push for Science Diet for one reason and one reason only…their cut of profit from the sales of it.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:44 pm

I would not even say you can do better than Diamond. You have to judge on a per dog basis. You may be able to do better than Diamond for dog A but Diamond may be the best thing for dog B. If your pleased with the performance why change it?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Stick with what you're doing if it's working for you. For every person that says a certain brand is bad--there will be one or two people who will give it a shining endorsement. There are many using that very same brand, including many big time kennel owners/trainers/trialers, with great success. Sounds like your vet contradicted himself in saying "Whatever your using is working well."...................and then trying to sell you something else. I would have been a little offended by his/her hypocrisy. There's not anyone on planet earth that could look at a healthy dog (weight, coat, energy level, etc) and determine whether you're feeding Diamond, Purina, Eukanuba or whatever of the 100+ brands that are out there. If it starts not to meet your needs, then you'll have to experiment with another variety or brand. Denise

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:44 pm

I agree with romeo. There are lots of good brands that are better than SD, and cost much less. Vets that recommend SD are exposing their ignorance in nutrition. However there are some who are perfectionists in what they think a dog should eat, and they are exposing their ignorance also. Most dogs do well on most good brands without paying over 65 cents a pound.
big steve

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon May 26, 2008 7:41 am

Ever go get yer hair cut? they recomend a shampoo they have there that costs like twice as much as the stuff you use? saame thing, makes em profit, more cash for them. Or go buy a new motorcycle (Cousins 3 of them just all got new ones this weekend) shop recommends their MC specific oil that is like 8 bucks a quart? Same thing more profit. When I sell my steers to folks I should recommend a grill and stock em :) nah...... cant be a rip off artist....

My friend frfom Poland feeds meat and rice, his dog shines and is very fit. He says no dog food in Poland, the dogs eat what we make them Mr. :) always calls me Mr. :) he saves the stuff from the deer he shot and uses it along with the ofal from the cows. I also use them innards and rice on mom dog when she is feeding. Keeps her weight up and that shine in her eye.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935