solid liver GSP's coat.

luke0927

solid liver GSP's coat.

Post by luke0927 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:47 pm

I have a 1 year old solid liver bitch...for some reason her coat looks faded almost like bleached by the sun but i don't think it can be as she is in a well shaded area....it has been this way for a while since winter she did grow a thicker coat than my other 2 dogs but now that it s warm weather and i have brushed her all out it still seem a little dingy...stools look good and her weight is perfect...i am feeding her blackgold plantation blend im thinking i will try another forumla...when i had her on blackwood she had a nice dark coat but that stuff is $$$. Do you think i should switch the food up and see if that makes a differnece...if so how long would you think it would take to notice a difference? (as a side note my other 2 dogs coats look fine on it.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: solid liver GSP's coat.

Post by Karen » Thu May 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Sometimes commercial feeds are lacking in iodine, which helps darken coat color. I'd add a kelp supplement and maybe Missing Link and see if that helps before changing foods if she's doign well in every other way.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 22, 2008 1:45 pm

I would try the other food again and see if the coat is better. I have used a Kelp supplement from Kelp Products of Florida. Can help pigment if something is lacking in the diet etc. http:/www.kelpproductsofflorida.com

I would also give the dog a bath and scrub well to the skin with a high quality shampoo. Evaluate the skin and coat when it's clean.

Keep us posted

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:58 pm

So what is the problem with a slighter lighter coat? How old is the dog? I will almost guarantee the difference is not food related but with everything else being the way you want it I sure wouldn't be messing with the feed or supplements, which I have never found a need for.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:30 pm

thanks all...ezzy she is a year....she just doesn't have that nice dark shiny liver color more of a light brown...she had it before winter and winter was about the time i switched foods...i do need to give her a good bath i will do that and brush her out real good...I also my post a pic.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Before you spend a bunch of money trying to suppliment or change feeds I'd simply suggest adding a whole egg to her food about every other day for a couple of weeks. If that solves it, then it's food related. If not, more likely than not it's simply sun bleaching which is very common. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm

I've got an 11 month old liver GSP. Her coat is the same. It was very dark when I bought her in February. The breeder was feeding her Purina puppy chow. I'm using PMI Exclusive chicken and rice. She eats well, weight is good, stool is good. I'm not at all concerned about it. She spends time in the kennel while i'm working and as soon as I get home, she's out. We spend a lot of time outside, walking around the neighborhood, the park, playing fetch. I think her fading is sun related. She's still a beauty and as long as she hunts, I'll be happy.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Thu May 22, 2008 6:16 pm

My oldest GSP (mostly lvr with some wht tck) was very dark until he reached about 20-24 months at which time he was a little "dull" in the coat. Turns out he was in the sun a lot and it was bleached. When he hit 4 yrs old he is getting more and more of the wht tck and that is the age, he never had white in his face and he has a bunch.
I have started him on the kelp once or twice a week as a supplement, but to soon for results
Bill L.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu May 22, 2008 6:48 pm

Thats the problem with solid liver, they bleach out, almost look orange. They will find a little patch of sun and lay in it:( They do shed out twice a yr and will darken each time tho, just to bleach out again......
brenda

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 pm

snips wrote:Thats the problem with solid liver, they bleach out, almost look orange. They will find a little patch of sun and lay in it:( They do shed out twice a yr and will darken each time tho, just to bleach out again......

Yep looks a little orangish and its on the places that would mostly get sun her back and neck...side of the legs are still dark....maybe it doesn't take as much sun as i would think to "bleach them out" see is still pretty but i think a dark solid liver GSP is one of the best looking dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri May 23, 2008 11:46 am

If you have a solid liver from Wilbur it probably goes back to my stuff..
brenda

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:28 pm

snips wrote:If you have a solid liver from Wilbur it probably goes back to my stuff..

Yes she does...very good dog she's only 1 and doing great!

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:18 pm

My male Will is the same way. He sun bleaches in the summer. Mostly around the ears, muzzle, and the tip of his tail. When fall comes and he gets his fall coat he darkens back up.