Feed

parshal

Feed

Post by parshal » Mon May 19, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm looking for suggestions on feed. It's tough to keep weight on my shorthair. I've been feeding Nutro performance for while and, suddenly, his stool got soft. The vet found nothing. I changed to Purina performance and the stool got firmer. I have to feed 5 - 6 cups daily in order to keep any sort of weight on him. I changed to Diamond extreme athlete (32/25) and am able to feed 4 cups daily and he's gained weight. He looks darned perfect and everyone who's seen him has commented on that. Two things, though. First, his coat is turning lighter rather than the dark liver he's always had. No, it's not sun bleached. Second, he still has running stool. I'd like to find another feed with a fat content as high as the Diamond that won't change his coat color or cause the runny stools. Also, I have to special order the Diamond which is sort of a pita.

Suggestions?

big steve46

Re: Feed

Post by big steve46 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:47 pm

You may be feeding foods that are too hot for your dog. I'm not an expert on GSPs, but I've noted that some owners don't want their dogs heavy. They say some GSPs just have a sleeker, skinnier look. If you can't get Diamond or Black Gold, you might try IAMS or Canidae, and you might also feed 26-18. You can add a couple of Tsp of cooking oil if the dog loses weight.
big steve

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon May 19, 2008 1:02 pm

A couple or three angles you might try:

1. Use the Pro Plan and supplement. A tablespoon or two of corn oil might do it. I've gone as far as microwaving a half-chicken breast for the dog every day. The problem with the latter is that dogs can get picky and end up deep sixing the solution.

2. Use the Diamond Extreme Athlete and try to work the soft stool issue by giving a bit of plain canned pumpkin.

Greg J.

parshal

Post by parshal » Mon May 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Greg, I've added Annamaet Impact which is a lot of extra fat to his food but that seems to make more of a mess than adding weight. I've been adding fiber to his food and that hasn't made much difference. I'll add oil to the food and see if that makes a difference. I might certainly help the coat.

The thing to remember is that this dog is nearly 3 years old and not had problems with runny stools. Any time I've reduce fat/protein in a dog's food it's cause more weight loss. I seriously wonder if manufacturers have changed the source of some of their ingredients and that might be causing a problem.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon May 19, 2008 2:13 pm

I don't know off the top of my head how the pumpkin works. I'd guess it's soluble fiber. So, if you've been adding soluble fiber, I'd say the pumpkin idea is toast.

I'd find a base food that works, then find a supplement that works. I've used the chicken breast successfully and also used cheapo hamburger via the "magic meatball" recipe.

Two of the MM recipes are here:

http://www.dragonbear.com/rec-spec.html#weighton

Greg J.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Pumpkins increases the fiber nd it may be partially soluble. Beet Pulp is the best fiber and is soluble and partially digestble which is rare. I don't think you will be able to change coat color with the food other than dry or oily. At this time of year much of the winter coat is dying and the dogs get lighter. That will change when he is through sheddng.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

parshal

Post by parshal » Mon May 19, 2008 2:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:At this time of year much of the winter coat is dying and the dogs get lighter. That will change when he is through sheddng.
I've wondered this myself but he is three years old and never experienced a change in coat color. The only thing that changed was the food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 pm

It was colder this year and he probably had a little more coat. I sure wouldn't worry about it. I notice with the Brits that the livers change color but not the orange.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon May 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I've been having the same problem, tryed the pumpkin did'nt work tryed adding fiber that did'nt work; finally what helped is I changed feeding time from morning to late evening and this has worked the best although not a hundred percent, he's also three years old; oh yes I tryed several different dog foods also. The late evening feeding has done the best.
If this doese'nt work might try Flagel. Good Luck

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 pm

We had the same problem and we switched to Native Level 3. The change is dramatic. Coat is beautiful (just took another two points this weekend for conformation title) has gained three pounds which he sorely needed and it's not that expensive. I would definitely recomend this food to anyone whose dog is having weight and coat issues. It's made by Kent foods if you want to look it up.

Carla

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon May 19, 2008 8:16 pm

We have become really big fans of Sam's Exceed. Dogs weight stays great and very little stool.
brenda

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Try switching the diet to half raw. You can even order the stuff from some feed stores. I know that Dressler's carries 5lb logs of raw meat and it is about .38 a lb. heck thats just as cheap if not cheaper than most quality dog foods. I would guarantee that it would take care of the runs the your dog is having. Good luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:48 am

As the old saying " There's more than one way to skin a rabbit," says, there are several good suggestions posted that may help. Dogs are Omnivores having evolved from Carnivores so Chris's suggestion of feeding part raw may be a viable option.
big steve