Older dog with joint needs

Equismith

Older dog with joint needs

Post by Equismith » Thu May 15, 2008 7:32 am

I am fostering an older Brit from ABR. Petey. Petey has severe hip dysplasia and arthritis and the vet has advised glucosamine and either Rimadyl or Previcox. We own horses. We have given Equinyl to our old mare and it did wonders for her. Would this be safe for an old timer like Petey? Petey has teeth issues as well so the liquid Equinyl would be in his system easier and faster. A bottle of Equinyl might last him for 6 months or longer. The ingredients in Equinyl are nearly, if not, identical to joint supplements for dogs.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.petvetsupply.com/equinylliquid.html

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Older dog with joint needs

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 am

I know a few people who give their dogs horse stuff mostly because they can get the quantity and it being much more cost effective ....

one dog is 14 years old which for a german shepard is old
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 15, 2008 10:23 am

There are certainly many products you could use for this. One I have used with great results is Animal Naturals Joint Strong. http://www.k9power.com/joint_strong.php

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Thu May 15, 2008 3:52 pm

The Equinyl is $32 for 32oz. I figured 1/3-1/2oz a day for Petey. He's 66lbs. It could last at least two months and would be MUCH more cost effective the the current 100 tablet bottle I have for dogs which is 1 tablet for every 10 lbs. At only 5 tabs a day it's a 20day supply at $20 for the bottle. $1 per day vs. .50 cents per day.

It adds up over time.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu May 15, 2008 4:04 pm

I have a lab who is dysplastic and we use deramaxx 90 mg and it comes in a 100 tablet bottle, we started out with 1 pill per day for the first bottle and we were able to cut it into 1/2 pill every day and then 1/2 pill every other day for the second bottle. We are now on our third bottle and he is on the same schedule and doing very very well, and is very active. he is 3 years old though so that makes a difference and he is in very good shape. The bottle cost me $180 so not real cheap but it works tremendously for us.

fwiw,
Chip

shets114

Post by shets114 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Take a look at Biologic Joint supplement. http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx ... ojoint.htm

LoveNewfies

Post by LoveNewfies » Sat May 17, 2008 12:46 pm

I've put my Newfoundland (5 years old) on a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement with hyaluronic acid, although I do change up the supplement I use. As long as the horse supplement doesn't have any ingredients harmful for dogs, there's no reason not to use it.

In place of any NSAIDS, I give MicroLactin by NOW brand which is cheaper than giving the dog version, DuraLactin (cheaper than NSAIDS, too). We've seen fantastic results with this. It also doesn't have the side effect and long term concerns that NSAIDS have. .

petey

Post by petey » Wed May 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Do a search for "Triple Joint Max". I use the soft chewables broken up into my pointers daily feed. It works great and not to bad expensive. You need that MSM along with the Glu. and Chond.

One petey helping out another petey.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Just an update,

I have had Petey on Happy Jack brand joint supplement since the first post here. He's quite a bit peppier and has more spring in his step. If this stuff does this for him, I may just stay with it.

We'll see.

A side note: He had a dental visit to the vet. He lost one top K9 tooth, one top molar, and most of his tiny teeth between his bottom k9s. He still has pep though. He's still up for adoption through ABR (1323), but he certainly will have his vet checks current if someone does adopt him. He's a good old fella. Yep. Real good. :)