Frontline.... Ebay...what gives?

whitedogone

Frontline.... Ebay...what gives?

Post by whitedogone » Tue May 06, 2008 5:30 am

I have heard that some of the Frontline on Ebay is fake or not the same as the local stuff. The local stuff is SO expensive! I am looking to save a few bucks but don't want to get something that doesn't work or is harmful to my dog. This is an example of one I was thinking about. Not as easy to use. But, I wonder if it will be the same stuff I would buy at the vet. WDO

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRONTLINE-PLUS-for- ... dZViewItem
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

littleking

Re: Frontline.... Ebay...what gives?

Post by littleking » Tue May 06, 2008 6:46 am

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 06, 2008 6:54 am

It looks like they may be selling 1 pipet of the Canine XL (89 -132 lbs) dose that you're suppose to split across 3 applications. If that's the case, it's not a deal at all. You can get 3 applications (9 doses by the ebay seller's math) for $40.00 with free shipping through Drs. Foster & Smith....33% MORE than what they're selling you for 33% LESS money.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 am

Karen wrote:It looks like they may be selling 1 pipet of the Canine XL (89 -132 lbs) dose that you're suppose to split across 3 applications. If that's the case, it's not a deal at all. You can get 3 applications (9 doses by the ebay seller's math) for $40.00 with free shipping through Drs. Foster & Smith....33% MORE than what they're selling you for 33% LESS money.

So what you're saying is that I can just buy the size for XL dogs and split it up over 3 months.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 am

whitedogone wrote:
Karen wrote:It looks like they may be selling 1 pipet of the Canine XL (89 -132 lbs) dose that you're suppose to split across 3 applications. If that's the case, it's not a deal at all. You can get 3 applications (9 doses by the ebay seller's math) for $40.00 with free shipping through Drs. Foster & Smith....33% MORE than what they're selling you for 33% LESS money.

So what you're saying is that I can just buy the size for XL dogs and split it up over 3 months.
I guess if you can draw out the correct dosage with a syringe and then seal the syringe hole in the package, it would be a less expensive option, but I've never tried it.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Tue May 06, 2008 6:28 pm

I just ordered some stuff from https://www.canadavet.com/index.cfm. It was recommended by another member no prescription needed.

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Thu May 08, 2008 10:51 am

Karen wrote:
whitedogone wrote:

I guess if you can draw out the correct dosage with a syringe and then seal the syringe hole in the package, it would be a less expensive option, but I've never tried it.

Does anybody do this? It sure would be a lot cheaper. I assume that the different packaging for different size dogs is of different quanity and not just more concentrated. WDO

MarineX

Post by MarineX » Thu May 08, 2008 4:10 pm

whitedogone wrote: Does anybody do this? It sure would be a lot cheaper. I assume that the different packaging for different size dogs is of different quanity and not just more concentrated. WDO
You can’t open a tube of Frontline and use only “X” amount and save the rest for next month. Doing such would render the remaining useless, and ultimately throwing money away. Though there is a way to save money using Frontline and that is simply buying the largest size ones and dosing it yourself. Little more work, but one can save a lot of money over time.
Example: Say you have two dogs one of them weighs 40lbs and the other 46lbs. If do as Frontline hopes…you’ll buy one box for each dog you have. If going by the link LittleKing gave for a 3 month supply you’d be spending $62.98 (1-blue box & 1-purple box). Pretty steep! But, if we look closer we see Frontline is precisely dosed at 0.1675 cc per 5.5lbs of dog weight. Following that break down you can see where the dosage you gave the 46lbs dog, over 1.2 cc of that was wasted and could have been used to dose the 40lb dog. Saving you $29.99 every quarter or $119.96 yearly. Maybe a person has some younger dogs say; a 18, 27, 39, and 47lbs. It would cost the individual $126.96 every 3 months to treat them for flea and ticks. If they’d just do the math and dose it themselves they’d only have to spend $33.99 which is a yearly savings of $371.88

The exact breakdown is:
0.1675 cc = 5.5 lb dog
0.3350 cc = 11.0 lb dog
0.5025 cc = 16.5 lb dog
0.6700 cc = 22.0 lb dog
0.8375 cc = 27.5 lb dog
1.005 cc = 33.0 lb dog
1.173 cc = 38.5 lb dog
1.340 cc = 44.0 lb dog
1.508 cc = 49.5 lb dog
1.676 cc = 55 lb dog, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe this will be of use to some? Another website to check out for decent prices: http://www.pets-megastore.com.au

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Thu May 08, 2008 5:52 pm

I have long been splitting XL doses of FP between dogs (and sometimes cats - DO NOT TRY THAT WITH ADVANTIX), and I've also had good results using partial vials, resealing them with Super Glue Gel and freezing them for use the following month.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 pm

I guess I fail to see how if you open a vial and don't use the rest for a month or 2 it would go bad. I think that you could seal it back up or put it in another container and I would think it would last. I don't think that Frontline even has an expiration date on it. I'm also sure they wouldn't tell you that.

GL

Post by GL » Thu May 15, 2008 5:48 am

Marketing appears to be all the rage with FP!

I like it and it works very well yet I do not appreciate their marketing.

Based on some of the above calculations, those of us who save money by the DIY Ivomec dosing can do the same with FP.

I personally disagree with the prescription necessary as well as the different FP depending on if it is a dog or cat.

I am sure there are those who will disagree but I share the same dose of 23-44 pound FP between my 30 pound dog and 9 pound cat. Both remain flea and tick free for the month.

The company is quite secretive regarding any difference in the cat Vs dog formula but the fleas & ticks here don't seem to care for the stuff and thats good enough for me. Dosing can't possibly be all that critical when a dog that weighs 23 pounds might get twice as much as one that weighs 44 pounds!

I am not sure if there is any difference between the FP from the US and the FP sold in Canada. Could it be that Canadian fleas and ticks are a heartier breed and require a stronger potion?

Do as you may with this but I think it is little more then a bunch of hype designed to generate revenue for all the extra middlemen involved.

GL