Dog food around the country

big steve46

Dog food around the country

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Some would consider this a rehash of previous discussions, but they can go elsewhere. I thought we might talk about people's favorite foods for working dogs, and how the prices vary in different parts of the country. I know availability of certain brands may be limited in some places. I feed Diamond Premium to my Llewellin usually, and it costs about 40 cents a pound. It's a good mid-grade quality food. My dog doesn't get a lot of work. If I hunted a lot, I might feed their Performance. What do you all feed, and what are the costs. I know some breeders get theirs in bulk. There are a lot of good brands (most are not in walmart), so what do you think. Try to keep the argueing to a reasonable level.
big steve

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm

I've had good luck with Native level 3 for my young dog during the hunting season and winter. It's a 30/20 formula that I get from my local supplier for about $33 a 40lb bag. I hear it is going up slightly though. In the past I have fed Nutrisource's Super Performance which is also a good feed, but runs about $5-10 a bag more than Native.

Canidae for my senior dog.
Last edited by Chaingang on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Right now I feed Black Gold ultimate adult chicken and rice, 31/21, they just raised there prices some, I think I am paying around .50 per pound.

Chip

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Native is too pricey for me, as I would not pay over 65 cents a pound for any good performance of at least 30-20 levels and good ingredients. I have reviewed the info on Native, and it appears they have fine products, and if it works for you, that's great. I just feel that most dogs do well on most good quality feeds without their being too pricey.

i
big steve

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 pm

expect another good rise in dog food and bird food prices

pretty soon the cheap filler wanna be dog food is going to be 20 bucks a bag
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm

lvr, That's a great price on Black Gold. What state are you in? I don't think BG is sold here. I need to check their website. Their foods are comparable to Diamond as I recall.
big steve

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:02 pm

I have never been too scientific about dog food. I just go by how my dogs hold up. I try to feed a Purina products because they sponsor our trials. I mostly feed their HiPro. I have one dog that has a bad stool on HiPro and I feed him the Pro Plan.

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:07 am

Since ProPlan has hit almost $38 for a 37.5# bag here, I've been trying out the Red Flannel Prime by PMI. It seems to be a pretty good feed ( 26/18 ) at an affordable price ($21 per 50# bag). As a bonus with them, after you buy 6 bags, the 7th is free. I am having to feed a bit more ( 1 cup) than the ProPlan to maintain weight, but the dogs are doing very well on it.
ImageImageImageImage

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:22 am

I pony up for PP 30/20 when they're really busting hump and Purina One 26/16 (available 2 hours closer) when they're not. Have experimented quite a bit with with feeds over the years and believe the difference is worth the premium.

And I'll note on the subject of price vs quality, that, except for one year when the contractor may have jiggered with the formula, I was happy with Walmart's Maximum Nutrition 30/20 until my local store quit carrying it. Beat a lot of high-dollar feeds in my book.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Grange

Re: Dog food around the country

Post by Grange » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 am

I feed Canidae and for a 40lb bag I pay $34.95. A month or so ago it was $30.95. Pro Plan, which I used to feed went up from $25.95 to $30.95 for a 37.5lb bag.

SFK

Post by SFK » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:16 am

I pay 27.50 for a 40 pound bag of Native. Dials in at about .70 cents a bag. It's .05 cents more a pound than you'd like Big Steve but I also get the 35/25 level 4 for the same price (I mix level 3 and 4)! I work my dogs fairly hard and would have to feed them a ton more of Diamond to keep the weight on so the price is justified for me as I am buying less feed.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 pm

Steve,
I live in Central Illinois just north of Springfield. There is a Black Gold distributor just south of Springfield, just around the corner from the old Gunsmoke Kennels, they may be needing a dealer in that area, I have Johns number if you need it he is the distributor.
Let me know.

Chip

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:57 pm

SFK, I would kinda doubt that you would have to feed more volume of the Diamond Performance than what you are feeding. Perhaps you've had experience to the contrary. Comparing total calories is not the only comparison. Sounds like you are getting a good deal though at 70 cents a pound.
big steve

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I pay $33. for Pro Plan. Sometimes I can catch it at Petco or PetSmart for $28.99 on sale.....

Speaking of prices going up...its incredible. Game bird food jumped $3-4 a bag...gas here is almost $4 a gallon..... Seriously re-thinking some dog activities......

Judy

http://www.crystalkennels.com
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Diamond (26-18) green bag is $19.99 @ 40lbs. at our local Orschelns store. Ol Roy Hi Pro is $20.50 @50lbs. at Wal Mart. Black Gold black bag (26-18) is $21.50 @ 50lbs. PMI Red Flannel Prime (26-18) is $23.99 at the local Co-op. I live in North West Missouri, I have been told that Diamond can be bought cheaper at other places than Orchelns. Pro Plan is $41.99 @37.5lbs. at Orschelns. I feed Black Gold when I can get it and Diamond when I can't. My trainer feeds Pro Plan and another trainer friend is looking to switch from Native to something else. I am currently feeding three trial bred pointers and my Dad is feeding two pointers and a shorthair. He has been caring for and hunting birddogs for 43 years. He has fed more Purina feed than any other, he now feeds Black Gold. He likes it better than Hi Pro yet is much cheaper than Pro Plan.

SFK

Post by SFK » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:41 pm

big steve46 wrote:SFK, I would kinda doubt that you would have to feed more volume of the Diamond Performance than what you are feeding. Perhaps you've had experience to the contrary. Comparing total calories is not the only comparison. Sounds like you are getting a good deal though at 70 cents a pound.
Would agree on the calories thing - but my first had experience - it takes more feed. Could be the dogs though. My feed mill already did the price hike. Was getting it for 24 a 40 lb bag...

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Well, up here in Alaska, we probably have the highest prices around (other than HI). I currently feed my ESS (as of last week) Nutro Natural Choice High Energy (runs 40lb @$40.99)... No Black Gold in this area - they claim they have never heard of it. Canidae runs 40lb @$39.99. They can order Dimond (they don't normally carry it) for $38.00 @40 lb. Purina Pro Plan - $39.95 @37.5lb....

For those of you who feed Canidae, do you have to use supplements? I was interested in purchasing this feed until the feed store said I would have to use supplements with it.... Thanks for the response!
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

vern3

Post by vern3 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Purina Pro Plan Performance here and it only cost 35.00 a bag

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:43 pm

BIG DAVE, I buy my Diamond at a local feed store that has been in Flora, Illinois since before I was born. We have a new Orschelins ( first one in Illinois ), but the local feedstore is at least 20% cheaper on dogfood. The highest place in town to buy dogfood is WalMart.
big steve

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Killer Instinct wrote: For those of you who feed Canidae, do you have to use supplements? I was interested in purchasing this feed until the feed store said I would have to use supplements with it.... Thanks for the response!
I feed it without. It's a good multi meat formula with rice as the grain source. Plenty of Chelated minerals and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. I wouldn't think there would be a need for any supplements. I get good results with it for my senior dog. Doesn't have enough octane to keep weight on my young dog during hunting season though.

What sort of supplements were they referring to?

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Chaingang wrote:
Killer Instinct wrote: For those of you who feed Canidae, do you have to use supplements? I was interested in purchasing this feed until the feed store said I would have to use supplements with it.... Thanks for the response!
What sort of supplements were they referring to?
Unfortunately, when he said supplements, I said "No" & I didn't wait for him to explain as to what supplements. Then he steered me away back towards Purina, Nutro, Iams, Eukanuba, & Science .... Due to the other thread regarding dog food, I went ahead & bought a 5lb of Nutro Hi Energy (30/18) - but now I reading other members threads about how they don't feed dog food that high in protein/fat unless they are in the hunting season..... now I'm really confused.... will I be doing her harm by keeping her on feed that high in protein/fat year round?

Any member's responses will be greatly appreciated!

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Big Dave wrote: Pro Plan is $41.99 @37.5lbs. at Orschelns. .
That's outrageous! I was torqued and wanting to move to something else this week when ProPlan went up to $37 (incl 8% tax) for 50 lbs (not 37.5) at the local pet retailer.

Best,

Greg J.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Chaingang wrote: Doesn't have enough octane to keep weight on my young dog during hunting season though.
That was my exerience as well. I had to supplement with some cheap hamburger treats every day to keep weight on the V. I can't imagine feeding it to my GSP. He's so hard going that it's tough keeping weight on him with 30/20 ProPlan.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:53 pm

We are paying 23.67 a bag of Exceed 30/20. It just went up. Got birdfeed today, 15. a bag :evil: Sucks...
brenda

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:07 am

Big Steve and Greg,
These are prices that I went in and got myself. Orschelns is a Missouri based store similar to a Tractor Supply or Atwoods. I have a PM from somebody that said they can buy 50lb of Diamond for what they are selling 40lb for. I have also heard this from a couple of local guys. The old feed store is almost non existent around here. Wal Mart or Orschelns dominate and with gas at $3.39 a gallon I can't afford to drive some where else for dog food. The guys at Black Gold are trying to get it back here and I have a tip on a Diamond dealer at an elevator.

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:24 am

Hey Greg, I have never found the pro-plan here in the 50lb. bag. I really like it, but when feeding several dogs the price is just to much for my budget. Brenda told me about Exceed a while back so I started using it. My dogs are doing great on the 30/20 for about 57cents a lb. I wonder why different brands large bags differ in weight 37.5--44--40--50--etc. Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:36 am

Feeding Black Gold Plantation Blend here in Mid Missouri. We're lucky to be close to a distributor. last price was $24 /50lbs, don't know what the new order will be yet. We get it by the pallet.

Dogs do great on it so I'm not switching.

I do feed supplemental meat as I have it. Venison and Beef mainly.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 am

Killer Instinct wrote:Due to the other thread regarding dog food, I went ahead & bought a 5lb of Nutro Hi Energy (30/18) - but now I reading other members threads about how they don't feed dog food that high in protein/fat unless they are in the hunting season..... now I'm really confused.... will I be doing her harm by keeping her on feed that high in protein/fat year round?

As long as you monitor body condition and keep her trim, high protein and fat content won't hurt her a bit. Will, in fact, be better for her in some regards, as high protein content has been shown to substantially reduce the incidence of soft tissue injury, and high fat content offers metabolic advantages. But that means not feeding as much during long periods of relative inactivity as you would during long periods of relative activity, in order to maintain proper body condition.

I am one who switches from a 30/20 during the months when my dogs are working hard every day to a 26/16 during the months when they are not. I do that for no better reasons than to avoid the guilt trip of cutting rations my guys already act like they're starving on and the convenience of buying a 26/16 I'm well satisfied with locally vs making a 2-hour round trip for a 30/20 I'm happy with.

Please know, I AM NOT A CANINE NUTRITIONIST, just a layman who tries to pay attention to those who are.

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:19 am

Ever here of Solid Gold?

I won't have my first pup yet for 3 more weeks but the breeder uses this Brand. THey get a discount buying in bulk.
I went to Petco to check it out. It's like $57 for I think a 33# bag. I'm gonna have to say this is way too rich for my blood.
They called the other day and said I can get a bag from them, the breeders, for like 35 bucks because they are placing an order. I'll probably buy one then gradually switch over to proplan ($37 for big bag) for puppy food???? Not sure yet.

I'm really watching the food discussions because I don't know which way to go. I know it's all opinions but from what I've been reading, when it's time to switch to adult food I'm really considering Diamond like bigsteve. I'm still looking for something to sway me one way or the other.

By the way I'm from N/E Illinois about 2 hours south Chicago the Kankakee, Bradley area.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:46 am

I believe with the new prices coming from Black Gold it is going to be $24 for a 40# bag of the ultimate performance chicken and rice 31/21 to me it is very comparable to pro plan. I have also fed the Black Gold super blend (red bag) 30/20. Black gold is working on a new distibution process which should allow them to deliver through a broader network. They have aslo introduced a new somewhat hollistic brand of food as well. It works for me.
www.blackgolddogfood.com

Chip 8)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:37 am

Think I got a pretty good idea why it is called "solid gold" :P :wink:
brenda

Will

Post by Will » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:57 am

Feeding Native Level 3 in Central Illinois and paying $29.99 for a 40lb bag using the Do It Best website. The food is delivered to a local lumberyard for me. I made the switch at the end of hunting season, but while still running on preserve hunts and he had a lil problem keeping weight on at first. I added a little scoop of lard every day for a week and left him in the pen inactive and he came around quick and looks good. Now he's doing well on 3 cups a day with regular exercise.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:04 am

seuss79 wrote:Ever here of Solid Gold?
I fed it for awhile.....still have a little left. My pup didn't seem to care for it too much, and I've since switched him over to Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula. He absolutely loves the TOTW.....the only dry food that he will eat as soon as I put it in his bowl. It is fairly pricey as well, but didn't seem to be as bad as Solid Gold.

jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:49 am

Until recently I was feeding proplan to both my dogs at $37 for a 37lb bag. I recently switched to Black Gold Performance at $23 for a 40lb bag. I have actually noticed an increase in their energy level. With Gas prices going the way they are I don't think I will be going back to ProPlan anytime soon.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:32 pm

I was feeding Purina puppy food to my gsp, and am now mixing it 50/50 with her first bag of Diamond Premium. Seemed to be a lot of good posts about Diamond...............maybe they're all BigSteve's. :lol: But I'm a tightwad too (no offense), and it'll fit into my budget. Will change of course, if it doesn't work out. Think it was something like $22.00 for a 50lb bag at my nearby farm store, Theisens.

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:57 pm

BRENDA, Be more specific/??????? :roll: :roll: :roll: Sonny , HEY Big Steve, Looks like you have got it cranked up again about the DOG FOOD thing. Good work Sonny :lol: :lol: :lol:
SON/STARR KENNELS

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:41 pm

Sonny, Thanks for the post. Cost is important to most of us, at least the principle of it. Why should we pay more for food that is no better? I believe in quality of ingredients, and I like chicken or a form of it as the first ingredient. ProPlan is a bit overpriced some would say due to their research costs and their sponsorships of trials. I don't trial so I don't feel obligated to buy ProPlan. I feed Diamond Premium which I consider their mid-grade quality food. Diamond Performance is comparable to ProPlan, but is priced much less. Most dogs will do well, and utilize their feed efficiently, with any of the quality brands. Therefore, why pay high prices for food that's no better? There are exceptions where dogs may have special needs. Just stay away from Science Diet and similar junky products. How's that for stirring the pot?
big steve

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:39 pm

I tend to say my dogs are too important to me to worry about pinching a few pennies per pound on food that they do well on--but when Pro-Plan hit $40 a bag at my local source I started looking again. Thankfully a local discount store picked it up and sell's it about $6-7 cheaper. PP Performance is on sale now for $30 a bag. Looks like I need to buy some storage bins.

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:42 pm

I normally feed Canidae which is $38 (for 40#) at the shop I frequent, a bit high but I like the mom and pops over superstores. I use the frequent buyer's program so every 13th bag is free (kinda...). Seems a pretty good product, I feed varying amounts to my shorthair, my old Rotti, and our little Maltese and they all thrive on it. No dogfood related health issues that I'm aware of and they all have plenty of steam. I'm just starting to switch my 3 month old shorthair to Orijen ($$$$) which is apparently the bomb as it causes a near riot at feeding time. While pricey, I like their "biologically appropriate" premise. Will let you know how it works out.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Killer Instinct wrote: Unfortunately, when he said supplements, I said "No" & I didn't wait for him to explain as to what supplements. Then he steered me away back towards Purina, Nutro, Iams, Eukanuba, & Science .... Due to the other thread regarding dog food, I went ahead & bought a 5lb of Nutro Hi Energy (30/18) - but now I reading other members threads about how they don't feed dog food that high in protein/fat unless they are in the hunting season..... now I'm really confused.... will I be doing her harm by keeping her on feed that high in protein/fat year round?

Actually it really depends on the dog. If you have a young dog or adult (doesn't really matter), that has a high metabolism and burns off calories easily, or who is very active even in the offseason, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with the higher calorie feed year round. Many who feed the high protein stuff year round usually just adjust on the amount some till they find where the dog will maintain a decent weight.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Killer Instinct wrote: ...but now I reading other members threads about how they don't feed dog food that high in protein/fat unless they are in the hunting season..... now I'm really confused.... will I be doing her harm by keeping her on feed that high in protein/fat year round?

I'm feeding 30/28 year round, no problems.
A good bird dog is always the right color

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 pm

claybuster, 30-28? What are you feeding and what does it cost?
big steve

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks to all for your replies.... I feel better now.... :D

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:27 pm

For those of you feeding Purina products the Pro Club saves enough to be well worth the trouble.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 pm

big steve46 wrote:claybuster, 30-28? What are you feeding and what does it cost?
Big Steve,
My dog has been on Abady Granular (straight up/ no mixing with other feeds, no supplements) for over 5 years now. I was paying $65 for a 40-pound box. I expect to pay more on my next box with the recent bump up in prices. I recall I mentioned these price increases most are witnessing a few weeks back with Ezzy. He had noted it has very little to do with grain prices and this is all about transportation costs. A box of feed will last me approximately 90 days, so it was costing me .72 per day. I'm figuring my box will jump to at least $80 per box, so I expect to be paying about .88 cents per day. I know you look at costs per pound, but I look at it as cost per how much they consume, and the past 5 years it has been one 40-lb box every 90 days.
A good bird dog is always the right color

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:03 pm

snips wrote:We are paying 23.67 a bag of Exceed 30/20.
Brenda,
Does the Exceed have beet pulp in it?
Thanks
Gary

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:27 am

Hey Gary, Whats with the BEET PULP/? Tell me more. Thanks---Sonny :lol:
SON/STARR KENNELS

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:12 am

Beet Pulp is a cooling type ingredient that helps add some fiber to the diet. It is a by-product of the sugar beet industry. Wealways try to feed a lot of it around birthing time to reduce the heat produced with the high calorie ingredients which in turn reduces the swelling and inflammation in the undder. It is included in many of the good feeds in small amounts and will be listed in the ingredient list. Its a great product to provide fiber and some bulk to the diet that helps the dog feel full after eating. This is especially important with the high calorie diets.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 am

Sonny Hawkins wrote:Hey Greg, I have never found the pro-plan here in the 50lb. bag. I really like it, but when feeding several dogs the price is just to much for my budget. Brenda told me about Exceed a while back so I started using it. My dogs are doing great on the 30/20 for about 57cents a lb. I wonder why different brands large bags differ in weight 37.5--44--40--50--etc. Sonny
Hi Sonny,

This store is a normal pet supply retailer. It's on my way home from work. They sell the 37.5 (or whatever) smaller bags, but always have the chicken and/or the beef formula on "sale" in 50 lb bags for the same price. Since it's ultra convenient (you would not believe how we run to keep up with our kids' schedules) and a decent price, they get a lot of my business.

I use Exceed some and really like it. When the monthly Sam's run and the need for dog food coincide, we get it.

Greg J.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 am

Sonny Hawkins wrote:Hey Gary, Whats with the BEET PULP/? Tell me more. Thanks---Sonny :lol:
Every formula we've used with it has made my dogs poop like custard machnes and fart like paper mills. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)