Ovulation

birddog

Ovulation

Post by birddog » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:04 am

Maybe one of our Vets could clear something up for me regarding the Heat cycle. It is stated the first sign of blood is considered the first day. Does that mean the first sign of dripping and actual spotting or the first sign of any little discharge that is noticed before actual spotting? Second question. Once ovulation takes place do you then have 48 hours to bred or should the breeding take place before ovulation? i.e. If a dog ovulates say on a Friday or Sat., would a Monday breeding be to late? Janet

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:26 pm

Day 1 is defined as the first day that bloody discharge is observed. As for when the breeding should occur is based upon the raised levels of luteal hormone (LH). Two days prior to ovulation, there is a surge in the secretion of LH by the pituitary gland proceeded by rapid swelling of the follicle. This LH surge is important because without it, ovulation will not occur. Not all dogs ovulate between the 10 and 14th day however. I've had some that are ready on day 5 and others are ready on day 19. Maximal litter size is achieved when the bitch is bred 2 days after ovulation (Day 4 following the LH surge). A single insemination 2 to 3 days following ovulation will result in pregnancy. The reason that optimal conception occurs 2 days following ovulation is because when ovulation occurs, the ova are immature and must undergo two meiotic divisions before they can be fertilized. These divisions can take up to 48 to 72 hours to occur. Once matured, the ova remain viable for another 2 to 3 days. Because normal sperm of the male delivered by natural insemination can live in the reproductive tract for at least 5 to 6 days, successful conception may occur if a bitch is bred from 2 days prior to ovulation to 4 days after ovulation. Your vet can do a test and tell you exactly when she's ready to be bred. You'll need to take her in every other day though to have it done. An experienced stud will also know when she's fertile because she gives off a different hormonal scent that the studs pick up on. She'll also be very receptive to the studs. Once she's ready, the color of her discharge will also change, to a lighter shade of red.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:27 pm

That pretty much covers it!

Doc Gayla
REO

birddog

Post by birddog » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:01 pm

I got it! Been doing it for 18 years and never did understand from which day was day 1. :lol:
Thanks a bunch.