Possable dislocated right rear leg

corytch

Possable dislocated right rear leg

Post by corytch » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:02 pm

My girlfriend came home from walmart to discover my 4 month old britt slobering and laying on the ground. she brought him to me at work so i felt of his foot leg and thy no reaction i tried to move his leg and he screams. :( the vet said give him an 81 miligram asprin. and bring him it tomarrow morning. what else should i do for him i thought i should give him some ice on the leg to keep swelling down. what do you think :( :( :?:

corytch

Post by corytch » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:33 pm

NO REPLIES :( :( :( :( :(

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Also keep him as calm as possible restricting as much movement as possible.
Incase it is broken more damage can happen if you don't limit movement

keep us posted poor baby :(
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

corytch

Post by corytch » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:01 pm

ALSO HOW DO YOU THINK THIS WILL AFFECT HIM IN THE FIELD. WILL HE FULLY RECOVER TO BE A BIG RUNNING DOG IF THE LEG IS ONLY DISLOCATED

Danro

Post by Danro » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:48 pm

I've had this happen before in our small jack russell terrier. she was fine when I touched her leg but as soon as I tried to move it around at all she was in pain. it was a strained back muscle and the vet just told us to give baby asprin. could be that.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:52 pm

The only thing I can tell from your post is the vet should hve told you to bring him right in.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

corytch

Post by corytch » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:59 am

ok so my puppy has a broke leg he is in a splint and will be out of a leg for 4-6 weeks. do you think i should give him some calcium pills to help the leg heal. i felt so sorry for my poor little guy i slept with him last night and to thank me i got a wet back. no worries. it was just time for a shower after that

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:25 am

No...do not give him calcium tablets. He is young and they heal amazingly well. You can actually cause problems by supplementing with calcium..............

Judy

www.crystalkennels.com
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 am

which bone was broken?? you can give him some calcium if you want, a small amount for a few weeks shouldnt hurt anything. not essential, thoug.

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 am

Wow Dog dr...... I was under the impression that unless the calcium phosphorus ratio was balanced it was not wise to give calcium alone........especially to a young growing puppy. If that pup is on puppy food it will throw off the calcium:phosphorus balance. At least that's what one of the vets I work with who is a nutritionist at Cornell tells me?

Judy

www.crystalkennels.com
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:25 am

Obviously, the key thing you missed is "using a small amt of supplementation of calcium for a short time". The chances of that helping is greater than throwing off the ratio.
big steve

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:52 am

yes, calcium to phosphorus ratio is an important issue, but all the calcium supplements i have ever seen or used also contain phosphorus, as well as vit D, and are a balanced supplement. i should have been more clear about that, i guess. i usually prescribe PetCal tabs.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:48 am

corytch wrote:ok so my puppy has a broke leg he is in a splint and will be out of a leg for 4-6 weeks. do you think i should give him some calcium pills to help the leg heal. i felt so sorry for my poor little guy i slept with him last night and to thank me i got a wet back. no worries. it was just time for a shower after that
Sending good thoughts your way for a rapid and complete recovery.

Both of my kids have had broken arms and they healed rapidly. The orthopod told us that with kids if they bones were in the same room, they would knit well.

Greg J.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 pm

If this makes you feel any better I know of a vizsla that broke it's leg as a young pup and went on this past fall to be one of the best derby dogs in the red dog scene. Killer little dog. So, if all goes well your little fur ball will be just fine.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520