Overheated/exhuastion?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Overheated/exhuastion?

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:05 pm

Today while one of the members was hunting, one of thier dogs fell over into a siezure. The member said she was dehydrated and gave her lots of water and she is recovering. (I have been checking on her and she is a little dehydrated still - working on that) I did not witness this, but I was wondering if this is heatstroke/exhaustion/dehydration or something else. They said "the dog was running slower then just fell over and started having a seizure"
Now, despite my feeling of "dammit watch your dog, condition your dog, and DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN" I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about this.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Kinda hard to tell not knowing the dog, temps, how long he`d hunted, when and how much water he had. Lots of different variables here. Hope he gets better. Hunting is a real common sence thing, if people just use their head when a dog shows signs of stress. Dog may have another physical problem going on.
brenda

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:23 pm

Mountain Dogs,

THis happens quite often...... not keeping the dog in shape is mostly the culprit! Dogs just cant hunt several days in a row at full tilt with out being conditioned!

Other things come in to play too though......

Dehydration is one factor...water should always be carried while hunting. We are fortunate in our neck of OK. All the areas we hunt have cattle ponds on them. Not knowing if your dog is in need of a drink is hard to fathom. When we are not so lucky, I use a "baited water" drink to make sure the have their proper intake of water. If you want more information I can elaborate....

Running out of GAS is another high factor in the game......Hard working dogs need to be fed a high fat diet....PERIOD! During hunting and trial season I make sure the fat in my dogs kibble is greatly compounded. But I am not the average hunter.....We get out at least 4 times a week and have multiple dogs.

Noticing a dog runnign out of gas is rather easy too. The obviouos is slowing down and being lathargic. Some of my dogs wont slow up, and will run them selves to death though. The next tell tale is looking for a small "TICK" in the head and neck area. Best way to describe it is it looks like the dog is being nicked with a training collar. Again the Batied water works wonders here as well. IF I dont have that along I always keep small honey packets with me. (the ones you would get at a coffee shop for your tea!) I find its easier to get the dog to eat that than those hard to chew purina energy bars. THe sugar boost will save the dogs life and make it alot easier on you to get the dog back to the truck. Lessoned learned the hard way here! We had to carry a 60 pound GSP on our shoulders over a mile and a half! It stinks when you have on the wrong vest and all the goodies are in the truck!

Hope this helps you a bit.

Phil
REO

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:18 pm

QCBirddogs wrote:Mountain Dogs,

When we are not so lucky, I use a "baited water" drink to make sure the have their proper intake of water. If you want more information I can elaborate....

REO
Please elaborate on this.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:27 am

QCbirddogs.

Thanks! What sort of baited water do you use. Maybe it is like what I use during very cold weather when I cannot keep the water thawed. Most dogs will drink when I bring them water 2-3 times a day, but some will not, so I put a little home made broth in the water. I make it without salt and such and pour some in the water. They usually drink right away!
Also like the honey idea and easy to carry!

Again thanks for your help all! I will pass the info on, and also encourage them to check out the forum!

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:09 am

OK......Just got back from the Veterinary Convention in Vegas!

Met some interesting canine sports med folks there. some sound good others well....are just full of it!

I will be doing some testing on some new products coming out on the market and let you know what I think. We have several samples here now and some more are being shipped.

As far as the baited water I use it is similar to what you are doing for yours in the winter. I use a product made by a sled dog company. IT is very high in protein and fat. In a competition situation I use it 20 minutes prior to their heat and carry some along as well. I dont use the full product full strength at this point, just enough for the dogs to get a taste. MEal times its full power!

Hunting they get some prior and during the day.

The only set back with the product I use now is it has to be used once hydrated. The base component is Eggs and it goes rancid by the end of the day.

Phil
REO