Kirkland (cosco) good or bad

basspow

Kirkland (cosco) good or bad

Post by basspow » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I just switched to cosco (kirkland) lamb & rice for my 75+GWP. his stool has become rather loose. only tried it for 2 days, will see what the stool looks like after a week. any comments?

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 am

for me i use Canidae ALS. Have been since 8wks and never a prob. I guess if it doesn't work for your dog then just try something else. The only thing i can say is just read the ingredient label. If you are comfortable with it then so be it.

The guys I run with are, hmmmm, i guess elitists when it comes to food. I mean real bad. As bad as a Jehovah +R trainer who despises ecollars! They do not mind spending $60 for a 30lb bag of feed. Yeah to me that is a bit crazy. A few guys are "no grain" boys. This stuff is expensive. Orijen, EVO, Timberwolf, Taste of the Wild, Instinct, Soild Gold (it better be at that price) Barking at the Moon. I've looked into them but the price turns me off.

But from reading the ingredients I don't see it being a "bad" food at all. But if your dog doesn't do well just try something else that's all. Trial and error.

basspow

kirkland (cosco)

Post by basspow » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:37 pm

the cosco dog food poop is looking a whole lot better.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 pm

It's pretty good dog food. our vet looked at the label and said it seemed as good as any other premium dog food. We've fed it to our dogs for years with no problems.

However, we switched to ProPlan a few months ago. My GSP was itching and scratching a lot, and all the dog's coats were not as soft or glossy as they had been. Since switching to ProPlan performance my GSP has stopped scratching and all the dogs' coats seem much softer and glossier.

I think maybe whoever makes that food for Costco may have made a few batches where they left a few ingredients out.

Loke

Post by Loke » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:34 pm

I recently switched my Malamute to the Costco food. I'm not sure it was the best idea, since he has a ton more energy now. His coat is great, and he is doing fine on it. It is made by Diamond for Costco. It is a much better food than many of the other grocery store brands, compare the labels, and you won't be disappointed.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:51 pm

We feed Kirkland Signature from Costco as well. Our dogs do great on it. Our 6-y/o Airedale has been eating it pretty much his entire life.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

esetter guy

Post by esetter guy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:25 am

I've fed Kirkland to my dog for pretty much his whole life, switching from the chicken to the lamb & rice every so often. Found it to be doing a good job, but every so often the dog would just go off of it. Not quite refusing to eat it but it was clear he was eating because he had to. I think there must be a switch in the ingredients supply some where, smillar content just not the same and he could tell, but for years he got nothing but Kirkland and had no problems. I would be almost certain that the brand here in Canada is from a different source than the US.