Which One?

gypsy

Which One?

Post by gypsy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 pm

I want to switch my 3 year old hard charging GSP to Purina. To many choices.

Thanks

deseeker

Re: Which One?

Post by deseeker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:20 pm

I always liked feeding my very active dogs PPP 30/20. They did very well on it. After they got older and less active, I would use PPP with the lower amount of fat and protein. Switch it over slowly from your dog food you use now to help avoid loose stools.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:39 am

I agree with deseeker, Purina Pro Plan 30/20. My Brittany is less active now a nearly 7 years old so I have switched to PPP 26/16.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:01 am

PPP 30/20 chicken and rice?

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 am

Found it.

Thank you.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:04 pm

I have a belief about dog food, most is over rated! Purina Dog Chow has been feeding dogs for a hundred years and I've never read anything bad coming to the dogs that ate it. But many are convinced if they don't feed the latest and greatest food, they are not being right by their dog! Ever wonder how a wild dog get's by eating mice and dead stuff it finds laying around rotting? I did feed a food for a short time that I definately noticed my dog's energy level had gone way down. Quit feeding it and they were good to go again. Talked to a local rancher that tried the same food and had the same result's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:28 am

My dogs always supplement their food with dead stuff or if their lucky still alive, but they seem to perfer livestock poop. :D

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:38 am

I have fed PPP chicken and rice for many years, seeing the price go over $80 for 50#, I changed to Diamond Performance 30/20. the ingredients are better, half the price, half as much food per day and it is easier to keep weight on the dogs. It did take some time to get their amount of food down to what they need. the amount they pooped was amazing at first. I almost gave up because of that, But after a month their coats look great, energy is as good or better and they are pooping less. With only two dogs I would pay more for their food, I just don't see the value.......Cj

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:21 am

Thanks for the info on the Diamond Performance; however I am trying to get away from products with corn.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:52 pm

gypsy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:21 am
Thanks for the info on the Diamond Performance; however I am trying to get away from products with corn.
What do you think the problem with corn is?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:45 pm

That was my next question.
I am pretty sure most everybody on here will disagree with me on the Diamond, but it works for my dogs for a lot less money........Cj

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:59 pm

cjhills wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:45 pm
That was my next question.
I am pretty sure most everybody on here will disagree with me on the Diamond, but it works for my dogs for a lot less money........Cj
If it doesn't have corn and chicken by-products it probably won't be optimal for hard working dogs IMO. Years back Eukanuba and Eagle were hard competition for ProPlan and I found they both outperformed the ProPlan in my dogs - the difference being corn vs rice. Eagle seems to have disappeared and Eukanuba fell prey to the marketing ploys vilifying corn and by-products. Happily Eukanuba has been revived in the original formula and I am feeding my dogs with it again. Can't seem to find Diamond up here.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:14 pm

I had fed Purina Pro Plan for many many years without issue and good results, never felt a need to change. Although the increase in price is unwelcome, it has had an affect on all manufactures. I am not sure what happened, but I recently had to toss two bags that neither of my dogs could tolerate. It went straight through both of them. After two vet visits with fecal tests that came back clean, and worming both of them anyway, they were in pretty rough shape. When I fed them rice, chicken and egg they would immediately clean up. So I tried a small bag from another manufacture and they had no issues. When I slowly tried to mix in pro plan, same issues again. Not sure if there was a change in formula or there was a bad batch in my area. I didn’t keep the packaging, so wasn’t able to contact Purina with lot numbers.

I would happily feed Diamond, both for the cost savings and results that I have seen with some of our dogs. One of my dogs does really well on it when he has stayed with my parents for extended periods, as do my parent’s dogs…but my older dog smells really bad (not gas, just funk) with any feed with wheat or any wheat product in it. Not sure why, but through process of elimination over his 14 years it has been proven.

I am currently feeding IAMS Active Formula, it’s a 30/18 and they are both doing well. From what I remember the ingredients list looks very similar to the old Eukanuba Performance formula (chicken by-product, corn and sorghum) at a bit cheaper price. I haven’t heard any other grumblings with Pro Plan, so I imagine it is more of an isolated issue.🤷🏻‍♂️

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:14 pm

I have read multiple articles on the anti-grain dog food hysteria foisted on dog owners which basically says you're buying into a marketing ploy to get you to pay more for dog food. But then, I've also read articles that mention beet pulp as a dog food additive that provides nothing useful - who knows. I will say, I've never had issues feeding Oscar dog food that has corn/grain in the mix, nor has his food engendered an inordinate amount of poop. I switch to a high energy mix once Fall and hunting season approaches.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:09 pm

gypsy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:21 am
$40 for 50#?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sun May 14, 2023 12:02 pm

I've been feeding my GSP and young Vizsla male PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20 and didn't think I had a reason to switch dog food other than the price increases. Recently my wife has started an aggressive chemo treatment and her needs made it impossible for me to give my young Vizsla the time and training I thought he needed for the upcoming fall season. So I decided to give him to a local gun dog trainer and let them work with him for a few months...while I take care of my wife.

The trainer feeds her dogs Innukshuk 30/25 and asked if it would be ok to feed that while he was with her. No problem. Went to see him last week and was surprised by his appearance. He has really filled out on the Inukshuk and is just thicker....in a good way. Looks like he has much more horsepower.

The physical difference in my Vizsla was noticeable. I've switched dog foods with my old dogs in the past....normally based on price..and have tried many of the normal brands. PPP, Black Gold, Diamond etc. I have no problem feeding dog food with corns, grains or meal to my dogs...but I never saw much of a difference between brands other than my dogs definitely preferred eating some brands over others. I've been happy with the PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20 and the dogs like it but the Inukshuk was the first time that I saw a physical difference in my dog just from changing dog food.....unexpectantly.

Every dog is different and what food works for some doesn't with others but I probably will keep my Vizsla on the Inukshuk 30/25 when I bring him home. I've been reluctant to change food or try other brands with my current dogs, but maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see because it was easier and a bit too focused on cost or convenience? We'll see. The Inukshuk 30/25 is only $3 more a bag, so it's worth a longer term try. FWIW.