Canidae

TGL1298

Canidae

Post by TGL1298 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:41 am

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of canidae, or feeds it? They claim to use four human grade meats, no fillers, and naturally preserved. I've been feeding it for about 1 year to my 1 1/2 year old Weimaraner, and my 2 year old Basset Hound. I Like what I've seen so far since it's keeping both dogs at reasonable weights (I've found this to be difficult in the past.)
www.canidae.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:17 am

Fed it for almost a year. I liked it, but when I was conditioning the boys, I couldn't keep weight on them and had to supplement.

Best,

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:37 am

I've been feeding it for quite a few years now, on all my dogs; working, breeding, pups, adults etc.

I haven't ever had any problems with it. If you'd like, PM me and I'll get you the name of an excellent rep. that can answer any questions you may have about it.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:51 pm

I've been feeding it ever since we brought Justus home at 7 weeks. Been a little over a year and a half with excellent results the whole way.

The hardest part is finding it at a reasonable cost. I get it for $28 per 40 lb. bag. Sounds kind of high compared to other brands, but he only eats between 2 and 3 cups per day so it evens out in the volume.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:23 pm

I've been using it for 4 years now with my llew and 2 years with my gordon no problems.
Ayres that's a good price here in CA, I usally pay 30 for a 40 unless I drive across town and get it for 28 but then with fuel :shock: , it's cheaper to buy it at the feed store here.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:26 pm

Used to feed it, but have sinced switched. Dog did OK on it, stools where a little on the loose side. Did get one bag that was off in color and the dog got the runs from it. I am getting better results on a feed that is half the price. All in all I think it is one of the better feeds out there, but every dog is different. I was paying close to $60 a bag canadian for 40lbs, like I said it's good just not worth the $$ they want for it.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:55 pm

I pay $30 for the 40# bag. A friend of ours is opening up a new horse shop and is going to be carrying the food...I'll be getting it at wholesale now! :D Good thing, I just went and picked up 3 more bags today. With the litters down, I go through 2 bags a week.

They do have a new formula out now for dogs with sensitive stomachs...it's called Chicken and Rice, except the largest it comes in is 33# instead of 40#. It only has 1 meat in it instead of the 4 that are in the original. I haven't tried it, haven't had any dogs that are sensitive to the original.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:42 am

Patty, what is the wholesale price (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm just curious.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 am

Oh! I've also heard that there's a mediocre breeder's program too. If you have 3 or more dogs you can qualify (I think they want to see a website too) and what it boils down to is that you get a free bag with every 4 or 5 you purchase. Going through 2 bags per week, that can add up to some savings!

Here's what it says on their website:
Our Breeder-MPR program is open to those people in the U.S and Canada who have multiple dogs or cats (three or more) and are actively involved in dog/cat activities such as performance, conformation, breeding, training or rescue. CANIDAE also works closely with such organizations as Greyhounds of America, and Dogs for the Blind. ...
http://canidae.com/company/forms/email-breeder.html
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

TGL1298

Post by TGL1298 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:27 am

I'm glad to here I'm not alone. Around my area most people have never heard of the product.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:54 am

I am in the breeder's program...it's great! I haven't gotten the wholesale $ yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to let you know. I should know within the next few weeks.

TGL;
They don't do much advertising, but rather rely on word of mouth...it cuts down on prices.

shootist

Post by shootist » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:22 am

I recently switched Cash from Innova to Canidae. I can't believe how much he likes this food. In the past he has had Pro Plan, Nutro, and Innova. He never would eat the food when placed in front of him. He would eventually eat it, but over a period of time. When he sees me at the feed bag now he runs into his kennel and waits. He starts eating the second it is put in front of him. His stools are also much tighter than they were on Innova. It is way too soon to see how he does on it, but for the time being it looks promising.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 am

shootist wrote:I recently switched Cash from Innova to Canidae. I can't believe how much he likes this food. In the past he has had Pro Plan, Nutro, and Innova. He never would eat the food when placed in front of him. He would eventually eat it, but over a period of time. When he sees me at the feed bag now he runs into his kennel and waits. He starts eating the second it is put in front of him. His stools are also much tighter than they were on Innova. It is way too soon to see how he does on it, but for the time being it looks promising.
Holy thread revival batman! This is like a year old. Also, why do you switch foods so much Shootist?

shootist

Post by shootist » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:19 am

djswizz wrote:why do you switch foods so much Shootist?
The breeder used Pro plan when he was a pup. He sent a freezer bag full with us. I didn't want to use pro-plan, so I used Nutro large breed puppy until he was about a year old. I then switched him to Innova adult. He didn't do very well on that so I am now using Canidae. If he does well on it I'll stick with that.
Last edited by shootist on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 am

I don't want this to sound smart but seriously what is doing well and how do you judge it? We all use that term but what is it really? I have seen people say their dog wasn't doing well because it wasn't heavy enough but to me the dog looked great. Whats everyone's idea of "doing well" and how do you determine it?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Kurzhaar

Great Question!!!

Post by Kurzhaar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 am

ezzy333 wrote:I don't want this to sound smart but seriously what is doing well and how do you judge it? We all use that term but what is it really? I have seen people say their dog wasn't doing well because it wasn't heavy enough but to me the dog looked great. Whats everyone's idea of "doing well" and how do you determine it?

Ezzy
Ezzy,

What a great question. Right now I feed Pro Plan exclusively, but have tried other feeds over the past few years. Here are the reasons I stopped feeding them. Don't know if the dogs were doing well or not, but I did not like what I observed.

Diamond: I fed for about 6 months, but the coats on my dogs lacked the bloom I wanted. Also, the skin was dry and flaky.

Science Diet: Loose stools and I perceived poorer digestibility

Maxximum Nurtition: Excess flatulance!!!!!

These are not bashes against these feeds, just my reasons for not purchasing them.

Jim

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:26 pm

Doing well to me would first show up in the coat. Is there a shine, is the skin flakey and dry. I guess the right word is luster. If there's no luster then what's happening to the rest of your dog. I'm no doctor but I do know that ingredients are important and Canidae has good ingredients and I have seen the difference in the dogs that have stay with me over the years in they're coats. Now I don't have a kennel but I have taken care of friends dogs as they have relocated from one home to another and have notice this change and so have they. But price has always come into play here and they have change back to other brands and then I have notice the change again. Not a indepth scientific reseach here but enough information for me to make my own decision as to what I'll feed my dogs.
Shootist stick with Canidae for a while I'm sure you'll be please.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

rottngrl

Post by rottngrl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Doing well, and optimal health are 2 different things, IMO.

Most dogs will do well on just about any food.

Optimal health, IMO is:
A dog that has limitless energy.
Alertness and bright eyed.
A dog that does not shed, unless it is fall/spring shedding and its blowing its coat.
There should not be any flakes on your dog's skin.
Should have no doggy smell whatsoever (ask a non dog person honestly if they can smell that doggy smell).
You should not have to clean your dogs ears, whatsoever, and remain infection free.
You should not see eye boogers, they should only be little crusts that fall off on their own.
Dog should not easily put on fat, and high octane food is like putting in clean fuel, your dog's metabolism should be running smoothly, lke a fine sports car.
A soft silky smooth coat, with a brilliant shine.
Teeth should be white, and free of build up without having to scale its teeth regularly (or brush). And no foul breath.
Should not have gas. (stinky farts suggest problem with digestability of food).

...just to name a few.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Well we have been trying some different foods for about a year and a half now, trying to give every one its fair chance.
I used to feed Diamond and it was fine, but since I have switched, every food I have tried has been an improvment.
Pro-Plan did well at first but one of my dogs never seemed to have good firm stool on it.
Pro-Pac 30/20 I loved this. The dogs looked great and low volume firm stools, but it became very hard for me to find. I tried the next one down, think it was 26/28, but didn't like it bearly as much. Coats were not as nice.
Maxximum Nutrition 30/20- dogs did okay, stool volume higher than pro-pac and coats were good but not as nice as pro-pac. This food is no longer available in larger than 20 lb bags near here so again I switched.

Nutro Max (Naturals) 30/20 This is what we are feeding now. They look great!, nice coats nice body weight, stool is not as dark as I'd like, and again my one dog's stool is not as firm. Not runny at all just softish. I have taken to adding 1/8 cup cooked white rice to his feed to help :roll: probably not the best long term solution. Everyone else is doing very well.

And to be fair: for a short while I fed "Big Red" performance 26/18. Due to availablilty issues after Maxximum Nutrition was not available.... The dogs did fine on it. Held weight and only had to feed about a cup (measuring cup, not scoop!! which usually holds several cups) more. Coats were fine, but not particularly glossy. Stool was really good actually.

How do i judge doing well?

I like firm dark stools, nice weight and able to hold muscle, energy and the ability to run and run without getting sick or eating lots of grass, also I like to see them not eating large volumes of food. I want to feed smaller amounts of higher calorie food, so how much they eat to hold nice weight factors in, nice glossy coats, low shedding (except when it's time for it.) And yes I want to coat to be not greasy, or stinky. Should not have to bathe too often, other than washing mud off paws. Do I have a food that has achieved all this for me - not really.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:36 pm

First off let me state I am not a breeder, doctor, or nutrition expert.
I am just an old hunter.

About 45 yrs ago I remember feeding my dads beagles and setters. All he ever fed was purina dog chow. The dogs would hunt all day and barring accidents they lived into their teens.

About 10 years ago with all the internet info I realized I had been doing my dogs a great disservice in what I had been feeding them.
I spent an untold amount of hours researching data and narrowing down the best possible food for my canine companions.

I have fed all the best brands that hunters recomend and all the best that the holistic folks recomend. I even fed raw for quite awhile.

My opinion is............. that for the majority of the dogs I can not notice a difference in the feeds between the ones that cost $2.00 a pound and the ones that cost $.50 a pound. You will definetly notice that some dogs coats do not do well on a particular feed. I have one old female for example who's coat gets dry, skin flaky and hair falls out on her face on most of the kibble diets, including Canidae.
You also will notice that some feeds require more or less to maintain the dogs desired weight. With that you will notice some difference in cleanup volumes.

My final take on dog food is........ feed them what you like, what you can afford, and gives you the feeling that they are doing well on.

Almost all the food that everyone is feeding is far superior, at least by the ingredient list compared to purina dog chow.

Regards
Gary