rattlesnake vaccine

Spike

rattlesnake vaccine

Post by Spike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 pm

I bought rattlesnake vaccine for my dogs from a vet & gave the shots myself. Got needles and vials of vaccine for $30/shot. It takes 2 shots ~3 weeks apart to confer immunity. I just noticed that the Vaccination Station offers rattlesnake vaccinations for $30/shot. Don't know if this is something that any of you would be interested in as it's getting cold but maybe for next season.

reference: http://vxstation.com/?page_id=9

I also found a local mobile vet that does rattlesnake vaccine for $25/shot. Unfortunately I found this after I vaccinated my Brits.

Best regards,
Spike Cover
Spike Cover

SubMariner

Re: rattlesnake vaccine

Post by SubMariner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 am

People interested in the vaccine should look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=37896

Also, an important note: the immunization is only effective for the snakes whose venom went into making the vaccine. IOW, it's not useful for most of Florida.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Spike

Post by Spike » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Went to the other thread and read the posts. This seems to be a different story that the vet told me. He said that about one out of 250 dogs get a bump if the vaccine is given correctly, that it's not a problem and that the bump goes away. The "trick" is to not get any of the vaccine in the muscle or the skin. It needs to go sub-cutaneous. I shot both my dogs, two shots, 3 weeks apart and had no adverse reaction. I live in California and we have lots of rattlers here. Antivenin is very expensive. Vaccine is relatively cheap. I'm glad my dogs and my wallet are protected. I figured others might like to know about this. The first vet I went to wanted $176 for EACH dog for a series of 2 shots. At $60/dog (got a discount <g>) and the DIY method, I saved over $230 and it's the same low price at the clinic. Again, just thought I'd share this experience, all good and nothing bad.

BTW, I heard about a guy that got trapped in his burning car because he was waring a seat belt. I still ware mine. No guarantees I won't get burnt to death. I just like the odds better.

Spike

JIC anyone is interested, here's what the vet wrote me:
This vaccine in my opinion is very very worthwhile for those dogs at risk of being bitten. I personally vaccinate at least 400 dogs per year. The vaccine makes antibodies (same as antivenin) in the patient, thus bypassing the vaccination, blood draw, and processing of the antivenin in a horse or human. Cost of vaccine is $35 per dose, antivenin is $800-900per vial. Most dogs use 2-3 vials plus hospitalization x 1-2 days so you can do the math. It is a gel based vaccine that slowly releases the inactivated venom over 5-7 days.

I have anti-venin, but have yet to use it on any of my vaccinated patients: it wasn't needed. The dogs still swell at the bite site as it takes 4-8 hours to inactivate the venom whether you give antivenin from a bottle or the dog uses its own antivenin. With any snake bite, dogs should be under direct observation of a vet for the first 12 hours to make sure no untoward reactions happen. IV fluids, anitbiotics, pain meds, plus or minus steriods should be administeed during this time frame.

Reactions to the vaccine are very rare: the only thing I have seen is that about 1 out of every 250 dogs will get a small quarter to golf ball size lump at the injection site (usually because dog was struggling and smoe vaccine went IM). This lump goes away usually within 3-4 weeks without any further problems.

Vaccine protocol is 2 vaccinations 2-4 weeks apart in the first year for dogs 25-100lbs, then a single booster in the spring when rattlesnake season begins again (in our area that's late march/ april IRS = rattlesnakes) as the antivenin produced by the vaccine gives 'protective titers' for about 6-7 months afterwards.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Check all the vets in the valley and most were at $30 a shot excpet one that was at $15 a shot. Did the $15
That was in June- no lump- no problem