Urinary Incontinence

Benny

Urinary Incontinence

Post by Benny » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 am

Good morning,
question to the knowledgeable. My GSP female is starting to wet herself during naps during the day. I can't confirm whether she's been doing it at night yet.

I've read some intel on female dogs who were spayed early on having this issue. I'm not confident whether it's a UTI or not, but I'll be taking her in to get tested ASAP for that.

Just wondering if there's anything I should be heads up on, including medications?

Thanks
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Doc E

Re: Urinary Incontinence

Post by Doc E » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm

So, was she spayed --- at what age ?
There is a medication (Rx) from your Vet that might help.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:32 pm

There are several products for spay incontinence available, but you should determine the cause first.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 pm

She was spayed before I got her, but I believe she was spayed at a young age. It's caused problems already, including some infection that developed because her vulva wasn't fully developed.

Yes we'll be getting tested for the UTI. We have meds that were prescribed: Proin, which a vet earlier this summer gave her because she had to be on steroids for an unrelated issue, which was making her drink a ton of water. That's when we started seeing the problem, but now she's not on the steroids and the problem is persisting. Still could be a fluke UTI, but I'm getting pretty suspicious of the alternative.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

My sister's Vizsla was incontinent likely because of a pediatric spay - she was spayed at 10 weeks old at the shelter. But she's always had this problem, it didn't develop as she got older. I'm really not sure if your dog would show this as a problem all their life, or start to display symptoms later on - if it was a problem related to the spay. I would *think* it would have shown up immediately, but I'm no expert.

The proin helped my sis's dog - and it's cheap. But I'd run her in for a vet checkup before just dosing her.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 am

Got her looked at on thursday, tested negative for UTI. Looks like I've got a bed wetter.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:51 pm

my male SM was shown to be positive on UTI.
pees every 15 minutes.
but i believe he was negative and they are just trying something with amoxicillin.
even vet said, JIM ITS IN HIS HEAD. :roll: