Bug bites

frosso

Bug bites

Post by frosso » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:55 am

My Llew has bug bite bumps on her head and neck and some on her front legs. A lot of them. They aren't really any place else. She scratches at them some especially around her collar. She doesn't have fleas and I've only pulled one tick off of her. Nothing on her tummy or back end. Can't figure out what's biting her. The vet scraped one to check for mites but didn't find anything. I live in coastal Virginia. Any ideas on what may be causing this?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Bug bites

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:36 am

Repeated scrapings often don't show up critters.
When my vet couldn't "find anything" , she put the dog on " K9 advantix 55" for 7 different critters and the dog was fine in a week.

"K-9 Advantix is a topical solution for the prevention and treatment of ticks, fleas,mites and mosquitoes. K9 Advantix is for monthly use on dogs and puppies 7 weeks of age and older. K-9 Advantix is only available through licensed practicing veterinarians. K-9 Advantix repels and kills ticks including Deer Ticks (vector of Lyme Disease), American Dog Ticks (vector of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever), Brown Dog Ticks (vector of ehrlichiosis), and Lone Star Ticks for up to four weeks. K-9 Advantix kills 98-100% of the fleas on dogs within 12 hours and continues to prevent infestations for at least four weeks. K-9 Advantix kills fleas before they lay eggs. K-9 Advantix repels and kills mosquitoes for up to four weeks." quote
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Flies, maybe? The ones around here are bitier than usual this year. I use Absorbine brand horse spray- Ultra in the black bottle, or Bug Block in the purple- and it keeps them off the dogs ( we buy it for our horses, and the label says it's OK for dogs).

frosso

Post by frosso » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks folks. I use K9 Advantix and it has worked really well for fleas and ticks. Whatever is biting her doesn't mine Advantix. Do you know if I can I use the horse fly repellent with Advantix?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

frosso wrote:Thanks folks. I use K9 Advantix and it has worked really well for fleas and ticks. Whatever is biting her doesn't mine Advantix. Do you know if I can I use the horse fly repellent with Advantix?
had this happen before, weather it was chiggers, no seeums or red bugs, who knows....doc gave the dog some steroids and they are usually all cleared up in a couple days, that said
probably would have cleared up with no treatment. "chiggers" is my guess....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno