Question About Lyme Disease

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Question About Lyme Disease

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:34 pm

I know that a limping dog can be a symptom of lyme disease, but it can also just be saying that the dog has strained a ligament or tendon.

If it is lyme disease I know that a blood test is needed to verify that ........................

Question:
If it's lyme disease does the limp stay for months or does it go away in a couple days like a ligament pull.?

Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mike50

Re: Question About Lyme Disease

Post by Mike50 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:07 pm

My avatar dog was test for it and it was positive it showed up in the blood work. It was on the front right paw.
most times it shows up on the front not sure why. It was gone in about week.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:16 pm

No easy answer to that. The lameness could clear up in one leg and show up in another in rotation. A blood test is just one tool in the diagnosis. Many dogs show a positive test and have no clinical symptoms. I have a seen a few dogs with a lyme limp and it is much less severe than an injury.

Does the dog have fever? Is the dog eating? How are its spirits?

Being in NJ and having been desensitized somewhat to Lyme, I don't think I would run a dog to the vet right away just because of limp. I would wait a day or two and see if it improves. If the dog is high risk then maybe a trip the vet is order.

I would take the dog's the temperature and monitor its eating habits.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:30 pm

How old in the dog?
My pup tested + for Lyme but no real symptoms(except the limping), we treated for Lyme but Vet said because of age we couldn't rule out PANOSTEITIS...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm

mcbosco wrote:No easy answer to that. The lameness could clear up in one leg and show up in another in rotation. A blood test is just one tool in the diagnosis. Many dogs show a positive test and have no clinical symptoms. I have a seen a few dogs with a lyme limp and it is much less severe than an injury.

Does the dog have fever? Is the dog eating? How are its spirits?

Being in NJ and having been desensitized somewhat to Lyme, I don't think I would run a dog to the vet right away just because of limp. I would wait a day or two and see if it improves. If the dog is high risk then maybe a trip the vet is order.

I would take the dog's the temperature and monitor its eating habits.
Thanks.
Seems perfectly happy , no temp,. eating fine , just hind leg contracted up - can't extend it without pain. It's been 3 days but every day it relaxes a bit more.
Ever had a dog that came up lame after every hunt? ( 6 years old).
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm

is he pointing his toe or letting his leg hang when standing up?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 pm

When my female came down with lymes, she was hunched up and could barely walk, with pain in every joint. She would wince when one of the other dogs accidentally bumped into her. After 24 hours of doxy she was walking much better but still in pain. After 3 days almost all of the pain was gone. Took her on a short hunt two weeks later. She shows no symptoms now, we blood test annually, the titers go up and down.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:27 pm

birddog1968 wrote:is he pointing his toe or letting his leg hang when standing up?
No toe point ; it just hangs. Today he is putting it down when he is standing but keep it high up when walking.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 am

Torn ACL? Luxated patella? Three days is a long time to pack a leg and not bear weight.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:09 pm

leg is still bad - vet to=morrow.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 pm

It will work out with a lyme test. Usually they test for Lyme, heart worm and erlichiosis when they do a blood test. My male comes up positive for Lyme every 6 mos and I do a month of doxy. He gets better within a week and is good for 4-6 months. Did you have a lyme vaccine when the dog was a puppy? Out of curiosity what treatment do you use to repel ticks?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:18 pm

bonasa wrote:It will work out with a lyme test. Usually they test for Lyme, heart worm and erlichiosis when they do a blood test. My male comes up positive for Lyme every 6 mos and I do a month of doxy. He gets better within a week and is good for 4-6 months. Did you have a lyme vaccine when the dog was a puppy? Out of curiosity what treatment do you use to repel ticks?

Just curious, but you say he tests positive every six months, and he gets better in a week? Is the dog being tested because of symptoms?

All mine test positive but don't need treatment...... a positive test result doesn't necessarily mean an active infection.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:57 pm

bonasa wrote:It will work out with a lyme test. Usually they test for Lyme, heart worm and erlichiosis when they do a blood test. My male comes up positive for Lyme every 6 mos and I do a month of doxy. He gets better within a week and is good for 4-6 months. Did you have a lyme vaccine when the dog was a puppy? Out of curiosity what treatment do you use to repel ticks?
No vaccine. There are big question marks about its' effectiveness. I use Advantage 50 / Heartguard. I'll find out to-morrow what the problem is. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/v ... -lyme.aspx

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm

He begins to favor the right wrist and shortly develops pain in every joint. Is very cautious when he gets up from being bedded and winces going up and down stairs every 4 to 6 months. Like night and day with doxy.

Sharon-Let us know how it turns out , best of luck to the dog

Birddog- Is your tick problem as bad in Delmarva as it is in CT/NY?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Vet said "a pulled muscle". Needs rest . " Don't let her run as hard as she wants nor as long as she wants." Sure. That will be easy to do. :|

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:30 pm

bonasa wrote:
Birddog- Is your tick problem as bad in Delmarva as it is in CT/NY?
Yup, bad and steady growing ! All my dogs test positive and have had treatable bouts, and i had it 3 years ago.

Lyme tests are wildly inaccurate.....almost to the point of being worthless. the tider only shows the dog has been exposed and has the antibodies, not that it has a active infection.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno