First Cycle (heat)

ekoog82

First Cycle (heat)

Post by ekoog82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:12 am

My female is 14 months old now and still has not went into heat yet. Is this normal?

jcbuttry8

Re: First Cycle (heat)

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 am

Mine is 15 mos old and has not had a heat cycle yet. Your choices are hold out or pay a good price for an ultra sound to see if she is intact. I went with wait and see.

FWIW, and I will start off as I am no way a vet, my vet said that dogs heat cycle is different than that of a woman. Their heat cycle can be thrown off if they have low body fat. She did compare it to a woman athlete that can miss up to several cycles during training for events. She recommended that we hold off and see if she eventually cycles. Again, I am not a vet so for your own piece of mind, check with your vet.

Joe

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 am

I didnt think about her possibly not being in tact, but want to make sure. Im not planing on breeding her right now, but wanted to make sure there is nothing I should be concerned with and if not when should I start being concerned.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 am

Is she your only dog? You may not have noticed a first heat cycle on an athletic young bitch.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 am

My avatar female FC Star is a very athletic dog & she never had a full blown cycle untill she was almost 3 yrs old.She still only comes in once a yr & infact is in season now her last cycle was about 11 mos ago.Might not be normal but it happens.Most all my females from this line only cycle once a yr. :)

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:44 am

@Vonz, thats crazy. Is there any way to tell if thats happened? would a vet be able to tell? I would hate for her to come in and me not know it, then some how she ends up with an ooops litter.

@ Cajun, no she is not shy at all. Very outgoing and playful.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:17 pm

I would think a vet could tell if she's in but not sure if they could tell if it has happened or not.If you have any males around if they start paying attention I would have her checked.All I can say is we were never aware when & if Star had silent heats.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Sometimes that first and sometimes second heat can be so subtle that you won't even notice it. Especially dogs that are worked hard or if a major change has occured in their life. Wait it out and see.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Is she your only dog? You may not have noticed a first heat cycle on an athletic young bitch.
We have an in tact teacup yorkie. Hate that little sh&$. He has shown no interest in Kona at all. So, I didn't think that she has ever come in. She is now at the trainers and is in the stall right across from two females in cycle. So, figured if she would come in it would be now.

I was told by a guy at a trial that his female never came in. They had her checked and she was intact. They had to force a cycle to breed her. That's what I was told. So, it sounds like it is not uncommon for athletic dogs. If your going to trial, then this will definitely work to your favor.

Joe

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:56 am

Thought I would throw out an update. Talked to mike yesterday, and Kona went into season yesterday. Took 16 months but she finally went in so, no need for the ultrasound.

Joe