Questions for Purina users..

Ghosted3

Questions for Purina users..

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 am

I read through the dog food poll and noticed that there were a decent amount of people that would feed pro plan during hunting season and then switch to purina one or even regular purina dog chow in the off season. Is the main reason for this to save some money, or is it to reduce protein and fat% to keep some of the weight off of the dogs in the off season?

Thanks
Corry

*Edit* Also is the Blue Buffalo brand of feed better than pro plan? It seems like it is getting great reviews.

Mike50

Re: Questions for Purina users..

Post by Mike50 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 am

I mix in the off season 50/50 pro plan and dog chow. More of a money thing here. Coats still look great and the stools haven't changed.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 am

I feed a mix of PPP & Loyall all year and cut back the amount when they're not working as hard. I live about 15 minutes from Purina Farms and when they have dog shows they sell Pro Plan at a decent price so I stock up. Price comes out to less than Purina One. As long as the PPP/Loyall mix works for the dogs and both are easily available I'll stick to it.
Don't know about Blue Buffalo, haven't found it at a decent price around here so haven't tried it.

jforgey

Post by jforgey » Thu May 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I feed Pro Plan Performance when leading up to and during hunting season. I add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin daily to help digestion, and a tablespoon of olive oil for skin and hair. When I work my dog hard, I add an egg, or egg white. Off season, I shift to Purina Shredded formula for lower protein. I do it to reduce protein so the dog doesn't get fat.
I started my dog on Blue Buffalo, and he did not do well on it. He did okay at first, but developed severe diarhea. I got him back on track with medication and prescription food. Put him back on Blue and he instantly got sick again. ONce I switched to Pro Plan he has done real well. I know Blue Buffalo looks good, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:16 am

After looking things up and trying to find out as much as i can, jforgey has about the same outlook i have. Pro Plan Performance a month before and during the season and then shredded on off season. Thank you guys for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Corry

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri May 04, 2012 11:57 am

We feed PPP all year, just cut back the amount during the "off" season.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri May 04, 2012 12:00 pm

High Voltage wrote:We feed PPP all year, just cut back the amount during the "off" season.
+1

stlgsp...why mix PPP and Loyal?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 04, 2012 9:08 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
High Voltage wrote:We feed PPP all year, just cut back the amount during the "off" season.
+1

stlgsp...why mix PPP and Loyal?
+2
It's what my pro uses & I don't have to switch when the dogs go back & forth.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 am

PntrRookie wrote:stlgsp...why mix PPP and Loyal?
It started by accident. Have been a long time user of PPP but local farm store started carrying Loyall and ran some decent sales so tried it on 3 of the 7 dogs and liked how they did on it. The store decided to quite carrying it so mixed what I had left with PPP and fed it to all 7 with good results on all 7 especially two that are hard to keep weight on. One of the field trials gave coupons for a free bag to the winners and went home with two coupons so had to search for somewhere to get it. Found a local feed store that will order it as I need it so I stuck with the mix because it works. Normally use the High Performance (24/20) with the PPP but during the last half of hunting season I used the Professional (31/20).