English Pointer Runt

iridektm

English Pointer Runt

Post by iridektm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 am

I have a 1 year old English Pointer who was the runt of the litter. He weighs in at 38lbs and is extremely active. There has been no change in his weight or height/length in the past few months. He's on his second bag of 4Health performance (4 cups/day) and was on Nutro large breed puppy all through the first year. His rib cage and hip bones show and it seems that he just cannot put on anymore weight. He fluctuates between 35-38lbs. This is my first runt pointer and have not seen any other adult runts so do not know what to expect as far as weight and thickness. Do his specs sound about right and is there anyway to help thicken him up? I have some safeguard I will be giving him for the next few days to just in case he has worms. Stools are firm and appear healthy, on heartguard and frontline.

Heres a few pictures 5 minutes after he ate 2 cups of food

Not the best pictures for seeing how thin he is, you can see his individual ribs all the time.

Thanks for any advice

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: English Pointer Runt

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:45 am

Does he wolf his food down?

If so Try feeding him off a large cookie sheet that has a lip around the edges and spread the food out forcing him to take smaller portions at a time

By slowing a dog down eating it helps their digestive system to digest better.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 am

I dont see anything to be worried about from the pics you posted. Pointers should show the last 2-3 ribs, if you cant see that then your dog is fat
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Eating...check. Healthy...check. Stools solid...check. High energy...check. I am with Chris, sounds OK to me. My EP female (avatar) is only 37-39 lbs and is as tough as they come.

iridektm

Post by iridektm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 pm

He does not eat to fast to the point I need to make it harder for him to eat. The pictures are a little deceiving, they make him look more stout then he really looks in person. I guess he is just a small pointer being that he is the runt, but didn't expect him to be 25-30lbs lighter then an average adult male. His dad was every bit of 75lbs and the bitch was 55lbs. Not to worried about him being a smaller dog, just wondering if he is about average for a runt.

Any way to put a little meat on his bones (the pictures really are deceiving)? The food is 30/20 mix, would adding anything to his food (eggs, real cooked chicken, etc.) be of any benefit?

Thanks for the replies

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:33 pm

the weight for that animal has nothing to do with being the smallest in the litter

Some dogs just like people some are just thinner then others..
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 pm

iridektm wrote:...His dad was every bit of 75lbs and the bitch was 55lbs...
Be glad he is not that big. That is TOO big for pointers. His joints will thank you :)

iridektm

Post by iridektm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:15 pm

I would of liked for him to reach 45-50lbs, but there's nothing wrong with a smaller dog. I was just unsure of his proportions and have been reassured by yall. I appreciate the help and quick replies.

Any 'thickening' foods I can give him to see if he will put on another 5lbs? With his height and length I think 5lbs would fill him out to the correct proportions.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 pm

He's still a bit young to expect fully developed muscle, especially if he is only free running. He just looks like a skinny little kid, but has good thigh muscle and is not emaciated.

We use frozen BilJac to boost calories. Might add a big spoonful of yogurt to his meals, also.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

iridektm

Post by iridektm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 pm

I know he is still young and runs 24/7 so that does not help to much. Is there a type of yogurt you recommend? What about an egg and yogurt?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Personally I think 5 pounds maybe to much addition.....Maybe a pound or two but I do think that will come when the muscles begin to mature...

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. He's a year old pointer, they are just skinny.

I bet he fills out nicely in the next 6-8 months.

I like the smaller dogs. Easier on joints and seems to be easier on pads too. Plus less to feed.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:18 pm

iridektm wrote:I know he is still young and runs 24/7 so that does not help to much. Is there a type of yogurt you recommend? What about an egg and yogurt?
Any live culture yogurt will do. Eggs are fine, too, although you may have better luck with a higher carb food and roading the dog with some weight resistance if you want to bulk him up. My two year old is pulling sixty pounds of cable and eating a 24/16 with quite a bit of grain in it. He's still thin, but very strong with tremendous endurance.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I agree with Cajun Casey's assessment. As somebody who has been around EP's his whole life...he looks like a good, young pup with really nice muscle structure. Handsome boy. He will come into his own soon and grow the mass. Keep those food rations up on those bigger run days! His puppy metabolizism is probably OFF the charts so don't be afraid to feed more when needed! -Mark

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 pm

I have a couple English Setters, and both didn't gain what you call mass, until about a year and a half. The vet told me this was normal for working dogs. He said if I was truly worried I could give them chicken or scrambled eggs with their meals. I wouldnt worry though. your dog looks normal. If he was truly the runt and not just a small dog, then he might be a little behind in his development. I don't know the food you are feeding, but for digestive systems stay away from Corn, as dogs (just like us!) don't really digest it, it comes out the same way it goes in. Good luck. Might want to check for worms too?

iridektm

Post by iridektm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I will try yogurt for a month and see if I see any benefits. I feed him 4health Performance which is corn and wheat free. I have not seen any worms in his stools since he was a puppy, would it be alright to give him safeguard for 5 days just incase? I got a whole tube left.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:01 am

iridektm wrote:Thanks a lot for all the advice. I will try yogurt for a month and see if I see any benefits. I feed him 4health Performance which is corn and wheat free. I have not seen any worms in his stools since he was a puppy, would it be alright to give him safeguard for 5 days just incase? I got a whole tube left.
It is not worms it never is. He is just young. If you feed a good brand there is nothing wrong with some Corn, in fact your dog would be the better for it, seriously. I feed a lot of raw but my kibble has corn and always will. I just won't use anything with Corn Gluten.

I had dinner two weeks ago with a guy known worldwide for his work and products for working dogs and he said removing corn has not been decided by the nutrionists but rather the marketing people and the dogs suffer. His kibbles have some human-grade #1 corn.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 am

What is his breeding? I've seen some little dogs emerge in several lines and the majority of them are da bomb on energy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

mcbosco wrote:
iridektm wrote:Thanks a lot for all the advice. I will try yogurt for a month and see if I see any benefits. I feed him 4health Performance which is corn and wheat free. I have not seen any worms in his stools since he was a puppy, would it be alright to give him safeguard for 5 days just incase? I got a whole tube left.
It is not worms it never is. He is just young. If you feed a good brand there is nothing wrong with some Corn, in fact your dog would be the better for it, seriously. I feed a lot of raw but my kibble has corn and always will. I just won't use anything with Corn Gluten.

I had dinner two weeks ago with a guy known worldwide for his work and products for working dogs and he said removing corn has not been decided by the nutrionists but rather the marketing people and the dogs suffer. His kibbles have some human-grade #1 corn.
Think I told you that several years ago when you were arguing how bad it was for a dog. :roll:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

Think I told you that several years ago when you were arguing how bad it was for a dog. :roll:

Ezzy
My comments have always been about corn gluten and not whole grain corn, and in the context of PPP and what it costs.

I have been pretty clear on that.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Dog looks fine :!:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

reba

Post by reba » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 am

I know a bunch of people that would take your dog in a heart beat!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am

Sporting dogs are bred for HIGH ENERGY. It's often that young dogs under 2 yrs or so are hard to keep weight on. Feed several small meals a day, and don't try too hard. You'll give him diarrhea if you feed too much. Feeding slower (over 30 minutes) is ideal. I use treat toys and feed from them, but mostly you just have to wait until they mature.

If he can handle the rich foods, and often the young thin males cannot, then feed a food like Native 4. But switch very slowly!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:03 am

If I give my high-energy, skinny setter a slice of bread a few times a day, he'll pick up a couple pounds in about two weeks. Maybe less.

Your dog looks OK to me; he's probably just at that age where they burn through food and don't put on much weight. Much better for him to be on the thin side than chubbed up. My vet would love him.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

2007 model - 28 lbs of rolling thunder. :mrgreen: hahaha

If she locks up better have your gun loaded.

LOVE small dawgs!