Whelping box

Meat

Whelping box

Post by Meat » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:45 pm

Just wondering what everyone uses for welping boxes we are having our first liter and trying to decide what I need to build and buy. Any recomendations would be great.

Thanks

pear

Post by pear » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:48 pm

Kids plastic swiming pool from WalMart...Low cost easy to find. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:26 pm

swimming pool works well

besure what ever you get or build it has plenty of room for the pups to squirm around plus let the mother space also

get a heating pad and be sure it isn't the kind with an automatic shut of and the cover for it place a few extra snapps or some easy to remove stiches so that the pus cant squirm in between the cover and the pad...they will crawl on and off as needed even as little day olds

a great method is the first few weeks of the Art of Raising a Puppy written by the Monks Of New Skete

also the cheap floor rugs from walmart they are about 90 cents each the ones with the sewn edges make for great extra covers for the heating pad

Lots of newspaper not shredded makes easy clean up during whelping and then when the pups get a little older
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:26 pm

A little swimming pool and lots of newspaper is the best I have used. Never found a need for anything more unless they were whelping out in the kennel during the winter and then I tried to use some form of heat. Found a catalistic heater worked well and was safer than anything else.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.