Lateral luxation of the patella

Quailhunter

Lateral luxation of the patella

Post by Quailhunter » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:47 am

Okay so I took my newest pup to the vet today. About 3 minutes into his exam he stopped, looked at me and told me that there was a problem. My new pup has lateral luxation of the patella in both knees. On the right knee the patella can be pushed to the side but it pops back into place. According to my vet it shouldn't be able to be pushed out of place. The left knee is where the big problem is. The patella rides out of place. It can be pushed into position but it almost immediately pops back out. He told me that this is a problem that could possibly correct itself as she adds muscle but not to get my hopes up. If it doesn't correct itself she is in for a short career as a birddog because he told me she would likely be completely lame by the time she was 2.

Do any of you have any experience with this and how did it work out for you?

pear

Post by pear » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:48 am

QH, I went in and deleted the double post. Thanks "pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Quail Hunter, My buddy had a pup that had a "knee" problem. I don't know if it was the same thing, but as it grew and we tried hunting with the dog after about 30min in the field the dog started limping and was done after about 2hrs. Good news is the dog is still a good family pet but does not hunt. That is the only expirience I have had with GSP's that have had physical health problems. Good luck.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:17 pm

That is pretty much the same problem I had surgery for last summer. Didnt know dogs got it too. Good luck, whatever happens.